A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Plant Date for Reserved Boxes

Re: Plant Date for Reserved Boxes
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #975305 by cooledcoyote
May 19, 2019 8:12am
Board
Does this mean a box name I reserved back in Nov 2018 will now count for the PAL day total if I plant it now and activate it on May 24th?

No. The Rules and Regulations state that the reserved box can't be listed until May 17th.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #975307 by Green Tortuga
May 19, 2019 8:26am
Board
I would like to suggest that the Plant Date for Reserved box names should be when the box is made active rather than the date it is created in AQ.

Done!

So not done. Ok
Reply to: #975308 by cooledcoyote
May 19, 2019 1:15pm
Board
So not done. Ok

The plant date isn't the same as the "creation date." The plant date is set to whatever date you activate a reserved box and can be edited and changed by the owner. The creation date doesn't change. Ever.

So yes done. *nodding*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #975314 by Green Tortuga
May 19, 2019 9:20pm
Board
Any "creation date" (I know what you are referring to, just sounds like a newish term) that falls outside the PAL "window" precludes a box from PAL consideration? I'm not a PAL fan, just would like a clarification since I'm not seeing an issue reserving an idea to work on over a period of time in hopes of creating a quality product and then executing the actual box during the PAL parameters. I can't imagine the conception to fruition for a legitimate PAL box has to be within that short time frame.

-confused in Chelmsford

PS How about a PyFB (plant you finest box) day once a year.

PPS If this line of questioning is silly, please refer to our trail name.
Reply to: #975323 by dingus dufus
May 19, 2019 10:26pm
Board
Any "creation date" that falls outside the PAL "window" precludes a box from PAL consideration?

Yes.

I'm not seeing an issue reserving an idea to work on over a period of time in hopes of creating a quality product and then executing the actual box during the PAL parameters.

I don't see an issue with that either--but it won't count as a PAL Day box because there were issues in the past with people who planted several dozen boxes over a period of months then activated all the boxes at once on PAL Day... which kind of defeats the whole purpose of PAL Day. So I stopped counting those, and the easiest way for me to identify boxes that were really planted long before PAL Day was the creation date.

If it knocks a few of the legitimate plants out from being counted.... Well, I made the rules clear. And if it's just a "placeholder" with a name, it's not hard for someone to delete the reserved listing and just create a fresh one.

But basically, it's a legacy from people abusing the system in years past. In fact, several of the rules were created due to past abuses.

-- Ryan