A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: What do you use to carry supplies

Re: What do you use to carry supplies
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #974974 by brailleboxer
May 7, 2019 11:28pm
Board
I use a backpack. I put sig stamp and ink pads in plastic pencil pouch and keep a few paper towels and zip loc baggies extra and sometimes even a plastic box/duct tape in case a box needs maintenance if I am close to home.... load lightens if travelling though
May 8, 2019 5:17am
Board
I bought the arctic brand lunchbox from Walmart at the start of school. It has a front pocket perfect for our three 5x7 logbooks. There is a plastic tray in the large main compartment with a divider that I put our ink in on one side and signature stamps in little boxes in the other.
It has a handle so I can carry just that, and small enough I can toss it in a backpack.
And it's moderately waterresistant.
May 8, 2019 5:42am
Board
I use a backpack sometimes but other times I wear a homemade apron that has 3 big pockets. It is a around your waist apron not a bib style
May 8, 2019 5:54am
Board
What do we use on the trail:
Old make up bag. It has a handle. It's leopard print and tacky.

I really need to upgrade.
May 8, 2019 10:11am
Board
Have always wondered - is the front carry comfortable on a hike?
May 8, 2019 10:37am
Board
I carry an over the shoulder side pack. Everything I always need are in the out side pockets. Stuff I might need are inside the bag area. I can slide the bag to the front to get what I need and not take it off.
May 8, 2019 10:38am
Board
My backpack.

The story of its acquisition is embarrassingly funny and it is so ridiculously heavy it almost kills me... Creepily, I plan to be buried with it!
May 8, 2019 11:14am
Board
We started carring a military bag that is kinda like a fanny pack. I love it. My husband just bought us this pack its got a lot of pockets but seems light enough to carry

Multipurpose Tactical Fanny Pack Walking Man Military Drop Leg holster Bag Tool Thigh Waist Belt Pack Leg Pouch Paintball Airsoft Motorcycle Riding Camera EDC Bag Sling Pack Men Tactical iphone Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L6R5L72/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uVX0Cb1T7MBZJ
Reply to: #975010 by foxfriend
May 8, 2019 12:12pm
Board
Have always wondered - is the front carry comfortable on a hike?

Well, I manage with mine, but sometimes I wish someone else would carry them.
Reply to: #975017 by Wry Me
May 8, 2019 12:47pm
Board
Well, I manage with mine, but sometimes I wish someone else would carry them.

I'll get'em. LOL
Reply to: #975010 by foxfriend
May 8, 2019 12:55pm
Board
I carry front always, everything is at my fingertips, donโ€™t have to keep flipping a back pack around. Mind you, I donโ€™t carry much more than a logbook, sig stamp, one ink pad, and 12 markers. I hiked to the top of Mount Maggaloway with it on, Iโ€™ve done miles of hiking with it on.

Warrior Woman
still tidy
Reply to: #975012 by foxfriend
May 8, 2019 12:59pm
Board
I've tried a number of different backpacks but they are all too heavy and really hurt my hip while I walk. And I hate taking it off and on every time I get to another box. I found a vinyl lunch bag at Sams that holds all my inks, sig. stamp and small logbook, it's light weight, and on drive bys I don't feel as conspicuous as with a huge back pack to lug out of the car and have to dig through it to find the right ink ... it will pass for a lunch bag or purse (and it zips shut so I don't lose my keys in the middle of a park again). So far this is working but I've always got my eye out for something better.
Reply to: #975014 by Moms_Play
May 8, 2019 1:00pm
Board
That's a mouth full.
May 8, 2019 2:56pm
Board
After many years of trying to find the "perfect" bag, this is as close as I have come. I can't believe the retail price now, the price I paid is way less than the price it is currently selling for. I cut the waistpack straps off as I never used them which lightened the weight of the bag and wear this bag crossbody which comes in very handy when the weather is less than perfect as I don't have to set a backpack on the ground. Lots of room and several pockets work well for me.
Reply to: #975019 by NLW
May 8, 2019 4:42pm
Board
Thanks for having my front.
Reply to: #974988 by The Lost Boys
May 8, 2019 6:55pm
Board
๐Ÿ˜ฎ Wow, you did! ๐Ÿ˜ Thank you, thank you! ๐Ÿค— I left a message on the telephone and on Facebook to ask about ordering the olive color, which is what I had. I am waiting with antici-
May 8, 2019 7:30pm
Board
I use a smallish crossbody purse. It has a pocket on the front for pens/ markers, a fabric divider in the middle one side for my sig stamp & a few ink pads, the other for my 5 x 7 logbook. It's fabric, so the strap is very comfortable.
Reply to: #975035 by RDHG
May 8, 2019 10:32pm
Board
I am waiting with antici-

โ€œSay it!โ€

Jeez, that reminds me of my days in the 70โ€™s, midnight, Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Reply to: #975042 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
May 9, 2019 1:53am
Board
I really had to leave it hanging because that is how I feel. No response so far. I am so excited that The Lost Boys found my bag. Now I just need to figure out how to acquire the bag. THEN I will say it.

We enjoyed the antics that went along with the movie. Toast, newspapers, windshield wipers.... We brought a friend one time for the first time, and she was pulled up front for being a movie virgin. ๐Ÿ˜†
May 9, 2019 5:27am
Board
I started out with a bigger backpack then got smaller and lighter over the years. I've also reduced my logbook size to fit in a smaller bag. Now I like either a very small pack or a small cross shoulder one. The thing I find a problem now is.. how do you fit the water in, a long hike in July is a problem.
Reply to: #975046 by felixpezgirl
May 9, 2019 11:23am
Board
https://www.amazon.com/slp/ring-to-attach-water-bottle-to-backpack/5kd3zhshg5uv67e

This may not be the best one or the best example but it's the first one I saw. There are a lot of different kinds of hooks and hook type bottles that you can combine with a hook and hang from a backpack strap or belt.
May 9, 2019 12:03pm
Board
I use this for short hikes
https://www.rei.com/product/117062/mountainsmith-tour-lumbar-pack-womens

And for longer ones, I pack my day pack with LB supplies on the outside pocket - and backup gear (compass, first aid, food, extra ink, etc.) inside. This pack is pricey, but it is my regular day/weekend hiking pack that I also use for LBing. The best thing about it is it is basically a dry bag, too.
https://www.gearx.com/mountain-hardwear-scrambler-rt-35-pack?gclid=Cj0KCQjwn8_mBRCLARIsAKxi0GIH9Ls0Y5svbKW26LTXB_HYaOwpXbeganEsOBFjuEw3bOM8wtVhDg4aAggGEALw_wcB#491=25340
Reply to: #975061 by Pukwudgie
May 9, 2019 1:46pm
Board
Thanks Pukwudgie, I just ordered from rei.
Reply to: #975064 by BinoBoxer
May 9, 2019 2:01pm
Board
Glad I could help!
May 10, 2019 4:25am
Board
I was given this
https://www.amazon.com/BagoBago-Travel-Backpack-Stool-Combination/dp/B0123SRO46/
as a present by my daughter Ariadne, and absolutely love it... very useful to have a place to sit when stamping.

I also crafted a 'box-box' to hold all my boxing stuff (logbook, pens, inks, stamps):
https://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.php?albumId=4784

from this item:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AQOFM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Reply to: #975084 by west dover quidditch team
May 10, 2019 6:08am
Board
Thank you for sharing west dover quidditch team! I've been thinking about creating one of those for events. Now to actually do it....
Reply to: #975059 by MissMoon
May 10, 2019 10:43am
Board
I'll try those out Miss Moon. Thanks
Reply to: #975084 by west dover quidditch team
May 10, 2019 1:11pm
Board
That's actually very intriguing. And give you a stamping surface too.
May 10, 2019 8:03pm
Board
i use an artabilty plastic case, fits everything and i can use it as hard surface to stamp against. if its a long hike , i throw it in a day pack along with food and water
Reply to: #975046 by felixpezgirl
May 14, 2019 12:00pm
Board
I hang the water bottle from a water bottle bag (findable at outdoor stores or bigger summer fairs :>) across the opposite way from my small cloth bag - evens out the weight that way!