Skip to Content
Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Clean up & retire missing boxes!

Re: Clean up & retire missing boxes!
Board: Letterboxing.org Chatter
Reply to: #974565 by Early Risers
Apr 25, 2019 11:32am
Board
when we retire a box

I remove it from the website(s)

In the past at least, and you've been around longer & might have a better answer, but I understood that if you remove the box entirely rather than just list it as retired, the find disappears from every letterboxer's find logbook who took the time to go look for it. Hopefully that is no longer the case on AQ.
Reply to: #974550 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Apr 25, 2019 11:37am
Board
Haha! I was going to add that plenty of other people had found said box before but thought that that was unnecessary. Maybe it was necessary! ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿคฃ
Reply to: #974559 by Grapenuts
Apr 25, 2019 11:38am
Board
Texas is 1 1/2 days long and 2 days wide. Houston alone covers 669 square miles, not all of it festering swampland. As you can see, this is difficult and would limit me to 6 plants, 5 during the monsoon season. (I made that up. We don't have monsoons.) We drive quite a ways to box here. Ironically, that fact, which would lead one to think knowing the status of the box is more important than ever, is exactly what leads us not to document this fact with frequent maintenance checks. It would result in fewer boxes and a disinclination ever toward ever leaving the house ever and suffering redundance. We would never be able to entice new boxers who live more than an AC length away, calculated by the time it actually takes your AC to start cooling the car.

I think I'm probably going to continue to plant boxes without perhaps being able to maintain them, instead most likely throwing myself on the mercy of finders for whatever maintenance they can manage and being grateful for it no matter what.

I will continue to rely on finders to let me know boxes are missing and will continue to use my discretion in how much credibility I award attempts in determining retirement statuses.

That said, an experienced boxer I know just today reported all my boxes in Memorial Park missing, so I will be retiring them. Failing that scenario or my checking myself, finders will have to continue to rely on the comments section, recorded find information, and common sense to calculate their widely varying comfort levels and use expert prediction skills in searching for and possibly not finding boxes. Boxes here can go many moons and monsoons between finds. (Again, fake monsoon. I never get enough of them.)

There is a certain irrefutable logic to the idea that if we stick some non-biodegradable plastic bits into the wilderness, we should check on them, and that would be nice information for seekers to know. And there are times when I have eliminated hunts just out of sheer caprice, must less a dubious find status. It sounds like your own comfort zone is perhaps going for the sure thing, so it's been mentioned here that you can control the boxes you see & seek, based on your preferences for maintained boxes, knowing all the time that the obvious weakness in this is the difficulty making predictions based on this dichotomy of planting philosophies. For my part, I prefer the planted-unmaintained box to the absent-altogether-because-it-cannot-be-maintained flavor. I have learning that I can leave the couch and still clutch my Cheet-ohs for the car ride over. WIN!

Perhaps you will impact the behavior of planters with your own finder logs, and they will tell themselves, "Gee. If I don't maintain my boxes, no one will find them." Perhaps you will change everyone's mind on here and we will all stop planting boxes we cannot maintain. You will have effectively carpeted the world.

Based on my excellent predictive skills, I would humbly suggest you invest in slippers in the meantime. And stock up on Cheet-oh's.
Reply to: #974566 by dingus dufus
Apr 25, 2019 11:38am
Board
the find disappears from every letterboxer's find logbook who took the time to go look for it

I ASSumed that the box became an unlisted find! That's not the case? ๐Ÿ™€
Reply to: #974566 by dingus dufus
Apr 25, 2019 11:39am
Board
From the "Delete Box" page on AQ:

Nobody will be able to record a find on your box after the fact.
Even if you relist the letterbox, the people who have recorded finds on it will not show as finders on the new listing.
All comments others have left on your box will be permanently deleted.

So it looks like finds before deletions are still in finder's logbooks. I think this is a (good) change from the past.

So now I say hey. it's your box . . . .
Reply to: #974560 by Grapenuts
Apr 25, 2019 11:52am
Board
But then you have to trust the reliability of the person who marks your box as "missing".

I weigh the searcher's report of where they went and what they did. Then I'll mark it unavailable until I check it myself or another reliable boxer gets there first.

But I was referring to the maintenance portion (broken boxes, logbook etc) of kind boxers.
Reply to: #974565 by Early Risers
Apr 25, 2019 12:22pm
Board
But last year we had to give up on replacing damaged LnL containers. They've just become too expensive.

LnL's don't do well after a couple of years in the desert southwest so I've taken heed of Kirbert's advice and been using peanut butter jars. Not only is the cost manageable but there's the environmental factor of multiple use of plastic. No one has complained yet about my replacements even though they're not the most high-falutin of choices.
Reply to: #974536 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 25, 2019 1:01pm
Board
I once tracked down a multi-stage geocache where one of the intermediate stages was a "bat box" on a fencepost that you had to reach your hand up inside and figure out the coordinates with your fingertips that had been carved into a board with a router.
Reply to: #974572 by Wronghat
Apr 25, 2019 1:28pm
Board
And now I insist we get a high-falutin' filter for searches. I jut realized I need that.

Wry Me
on this, the longest Thursday in the developed world
Reply to: #974577 by Wry Me
Apr 25, 2019 1:54pm
Board
AND. . . I insist on equal representation in the box attributes for the enviable snow icon. I want a hell icon. For June 4th - Sept 28th in Texas.

Wry Me
6 minutes
Reply to: #974580 by Wry Me
Apr 25, 2019 2:04pm
Board
...and a monsoon icon.

because let's just say that even though i can't have monsoons, not having the proper weather, which is no one's fault, that I have the right to have monsoons.
Reply to: #974581 by Wry Me
Apr 25, 2019 2:06pm
Board
...and a monsoon icon.

because let's just say that even though i can't have monsoons, not having the proper weather, which is no one's fault, that I have the right to have monsoons.

and a haboob icon.
Reply to: #974581 by Wry Me
Apr 25, 2019 2:36pm
Board
...and a monsoon icon.

Can we have a Bear icon? Though I guess more folks are injured by Moose so how about a Boose?
Reply to: #974558 by Grapenuts
Apr 25, 2019 3:23pm
Board
There's no reason for this rude and pretentious remark from you. You're making this a hostile environment.

Good for you for planting hundreds of boxes that you can't maintain. I prefer fewer, quality plants that I can be sure are maintained to keep this a fun hobby for all.

So I guess the people who agreed with me ....???

I don't have "hundreds" of boxes. And feel free to check the comments on my boxes any time as to quality.

If you find me rude and pretentious I find you demanding.
RETIRE THEM!

And not very sympathetic to your fellow boxers.
Reply to: #974582 by Wronghat
Apr 26, 2019 3:04pm
Board
That is my new favorite word. I'm going to stop calling my students fomite beloveds and start calling them haboobed (/ha-boob-ed/) beloveds. I learn so much here.
Reply to: #974630 by Wry Me
Apr 26, 2019 3:51pm
Board
I'm going to stop calling my students fomite beloveds and start calling them haboobed (/ha-boob-ed/) beloveds.

Is that because they resemble this character?
Reply to: #974570 by dingus dufus
Apr 27, 2019 5:51am
Board
AQ has always turned finds on deleted boxes into unlisted finds.
Reply to: #974557 by Grapenuts
Apr 27, 2019 5:58am
Board
Well, I suppose you can complain that people aren't keeping the status of boxes up to your high standards, but I am a little amused that you think it can do any good. =)

It's a problem that's been around since the beginning of time and the people who aren't updating their listings (for the most part) don't log into AQ anymore much less read the message boards.

I'd try to work with the tools you have to look for the boxes that best suits your goals and purposes. If looking for old, missing boxes isn't your thing, my best suggestion is just to not look for them. The tools to do that are there and actually can work.
Reply to: #974631 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 27, 2019 7:19am
Board
Sure. But mostly b/c they are in middle school and just a hint of "boob" makes them a lttle nuts. And a few of them will recognize a "teacher trick to get them to look it up" -- (Holling Hoodhood, The Wednesday Wars) and will be curious enough to look it up. One of them will be disappointed but smug. But one kiddo will feed a love of words and will contact me to tell me the one thing we did together that turned them toward where they are now or invite me to their graduation b/c they still think of me and that - a small taste of immortality - is the one long shot that keeps me in a classroom.

Even if none of that happens, I will still be amused.
Reply to: #974524 by MissMoon
Apr 27, 2019 7:37am
Board
What does "obviously missing" mean to you?

Well, one time we got to the location, and the area had been totally redone, and also behind a fence. It was now a pre-school playground.

Or, a box that was hidden in a field, but now itโ€™s a housing development.

Other than that.... (>.<)
Reply to: #974660 by JampersandJ
Apr 27, 2019 8:31am
Board
It was now a pre-school playground.

And hanging around a playground could get your arrested soooooo.....lol

Sounds like a legitimate 'attempt' to me. lol