Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Clean up missing/un-found letterboxes

Re: Clean up missing/un-found letterboxes
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
Reply to: #974490 by Grapenuts
Apr 24, 2019 6:43am
Board
So I can't plant around me, because there is no one active. I plant my boxes states away and can't check on them. I have often found some that haven't been found in several years and sometimes, I've even found boxes that were listed as missing but weren't. I think it's fine to retire something you know is gone, but I'm not willing to do so until I verify for myself and even then, I've had two boxes now in a cemetery be missing for over a year and somehow turn up on the other side of the cemetery. So even retiring isn't a sure fire bet.
Apr 24, 2019 6:58am
Board
I could do this if I had only 10 local plants, but I've planted quite a few boxes, most of which are on hikes. I do check on my boxes when I'm in the area, but checking on all of my boxes just to see if they're still there would be a full-time job.

For the most part, I rely on finders to let me know a box's status and to help maintain boxes with new baggies, a new logbook, if the old one is full, etc. Isn't that part of the expectation, since the planter is providing the finder with free entertainment? I certainly do that for the boxes I find.
Apr 24, 2019 9:05am
Board
I concur with most of what others have said, except I'm not the only boxer in my area. There are three others within a 75 mile radius.

However, once they have found my boxes, it may be a while before anyone else stops to find them. We are not near an interstate highway.

I do check on some of them every year, and log that maintenance, but I can't do all of them every year. Besides that, just because it was there yesterday when I checked doesn't mean something didn't happen to it this morning. There's always a risk of failure.
Apr 24, 2019 2:57pm
Board
Did this really need to be cross posted?
Reply to: #974521 by Baqash
Apr 24, 2019 3:00pm
Board
Did this really need to be cross posted?

I was just about to say the same thing. There are two discussions going on. Not necessary.
Reply to: #974502 by Maude
Apr 24, 2019 5:24pm
Board
I do check on some of them every year, and log that maintenance, but I can't do all of them every year.

I think that this is the way to do it; just check on a few a year. And make sure that you get by all of them every few years, at least those close to you. The ones not close to you will need to be checked on by boxers close by.

Not that I have checked on all of my boxes over the past five years, but it is a goal. I have checked on some of them over this time.
Reply to: #974533 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 25, 2019 7:13am
Board
I have a better idea. Y'all get on a group party bus and get on down here. Let me know in the comments how much you love my boxes, mail me any full logbooks, replace baggies/logbooks as needed and let me know when you'll be here, so we can meet up in a restaurant for Tex Mex. Plan on 5 days, just to drive across Texas and fight over who gets to sleep while someone else drives through El Paso.

A girl can dream. . .

No offense to El Pasoeans. I think. I won the toss.
Reply to: #974551 by Wry Me
Apr 25, 2019 1:29pm
Board
Nuts. I forgot to cross-post.