About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Matanuska Glacier

Matanuska Glacier
Board: State: Alaska
Apr 20, 2019 9:36am
Board
Not sure if any natives have an opinion for an incoming tourist... but Honeymama and I definitely want to explore the Matanuska Glacier. However, we're torn as to whether we should do it on our own or with a guide? We're concerned that if we try to do it on our own, the road to access the glacier hike will be poor and / or that we'll miss some of the best hiking on the glacier. On the other side, we also don't want to spend a bunch of money for something that we could have just done ourselves and been quite happy about it.

So... anyone have an opinion? Don't you just love when a tourist asks about local things? ^_^

Also, I was really, really hoping to schedule some sort of trail get together on our trip, but it doesn't look like we'll be in reasonable range of Anchorage on the weekends :( . Bummer.
Re: Matanuska Glacier
Reply to: #974367 by Honeychyck
Apr 20, 2019 11:47am
Board
I have never actually been to Matanuska so can't speak to the driving aspect but the concern with having a guide or not is also gear and safety related; guides will likely provide you with crampons and have you tied together with ropes in the even someone finds a crevasse. That being said, I have been on a number of glaciers up here without either and am not dead yet so take that for what it is worth... I would probably do it on my own but take kahtoola spikes at a minimum.
Reply to: #974371 by Eidolon
Apr 22, 2019 6:59am
Board
am not dead yet

You will be soon (best british accent I can muster)
Reply to: #974371 by Eidolon
Apr 22, 2019 8:22am
Board
Thanks so much for the advice. We went ahead and signed up for a tour :). Every review I read was either "You just HAVE to go with a tour!" or "We had so much fun WITHOUT a tour guide!" and I just didn't know what to do.
Reply to: #974367 by Honeychyck
May 18, 2019 10:09am
Board
The best way is definitely with a tour guide, especially if you're not from here.

Other note: Saying natives in Alaska refers to our indigenous people, Alaska Natives, a common mistake tourists and outsiders make. So if you want to say someone who lives in Alaska, you would say either "a local" or "Alaskan". :) Just a heads up. It was very confusing when someone asked me "Are you a native of Alaska?" the answer was "No." and they said "Where are you from?" and I said "Alaska." The conversation ended up being very confusing until I worked that out. LOL Have a good time!

Also, if you want to get together during the week, after work usually works for us. :)