A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: the state of letterboxing in England

Re: the state of letterboxing in England
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #974146 by Mizscarlet
Apr 14, 2019 2:30pm
Board
Heading to Dartmoor in 2 weeks. Hope to snag a few boxes.

My new company is sending me to London May 7-10 for some training. Which I interpret to mean "we want you to take the train to Dartmoor".
I don't know if I can swing it, but I'd like to try to take the train down to Dartmoor either the weekend before or the weekend after the work stuff. I'll probably only have a day for it, but if you are still around at that time how awesome would it be to meet up!

If not, then somebody tell me where I should go (keep it clean, folks) and how I should get there. Never been to the UK before, so it'll all be fresh and new to me!
Reply to: #974159 by wassamatta u
Apr 14, 2019 3:25pm
Board
I’ll check my itinerary to see which days we are going to be there. We are there 2 days as part of a 2 week trip.
Apr 14, 2019 8:14pm
Board
How awesome for you!! Best of luck on your quest. Please share your experiences, finding, etc.
Apr 15, 2019 4:03am
Board
My new company is sending me to London May 7-10 for some training. Which I interpret to mean "we want you to take the train to Dartmoor".

Work-sponsored letterboxing trips are awesome! My company’s sent me to Connecticut twice. This year the new store is in Rhode Island. Woo hoo!
Apr 15, 2019 6:55pm
Board
My new company is sending me to London May 7-10 for some training.

Funny, my company is sending me the week after that. Which I interpret to mean they want me clean up whatever Crazy hijinx Wassa let’s loose in England.

Unfortunately, that means I will definitely be too busy to make it out to Dartmoor on this trip.
Reply to: #974144 by Grrly Girl
Apr 16, 2019 12:42pm
Board
We are members of the Dartmoor Letterboxing 100 Club, which publishes the catalogue, etc. However, we haven't been active since moving to the north of Scotland 13 years ago.

If you're planning a trip, it's well worth getting in touch for a copy of the latest catalogue and the updates which have been published since. If it's anything like the active letterboxing scene that we knew in the past, there are dozens of new boxes, and deleted boxes, with every fortnightly update.
Reply to: #974207 by Nature Hikers
Apr 16, 2019 9:46pm
Board
We have a 16 box series a mere two hours outside of London by train......I'm just sayin'
Reply to: #974144 by Grrly Girl
Apr 17, 2019 11:54am
Board
I have a non-Dartmoor question: is there anywhere aside from AQ where I should be looking for clues to boxes in the UK (ie London)?
Reply to: #974282 by Angel and Demon
Apr 17, 2019 12:17pm
Board
I have a non-Dartmoor question: is there anywhere aside from AQ where I should be looking for clues to boxes in the UK (ie London)?

I just went to LbNA and entered England in the search box.
Lots of stuff appeared.
You can probably narrow it a bit by using London, England.

Let's hear from those who have been there and might know of other places to check.
Apr 17, 2019 2:11pm
Board

Dartmoor Bounders used to have a site that listed a lot of them. It has gone offline but you can still see the old clues here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20121026230114/http://www.ian.kirkpatrick2.btinternet.co.uk/page1.htm
Reply to: #974283 by Grrly Girl
Apr 17, 2019 2:59pm
Board
I will be in London the end of August to leave on a cruise from Dover and would be very interested if anyone has success in London.
Thanks
Reply to: #974146 by Mizscarlet
Apr 17, 2019 2:59pm
Board
I found the register number from the original planting in 2004 here.

Is it still on the register? Thanks for looking!

WW
Apr 17, 2019 7:14pm
Board
I was there this past summer and looked up letterbox hybrids on geocaching.com. I was out in the country and with people who weren't going to drive far just for me to find a letterbox. It was the one way I found to easily locate possible letterboxes near where we were staying. It's not the solution for everyone, but it increased the possible boxes I could look for. I ended up finding two listed on Atlasquest and one geocache hybrid.