Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: It's True!

by Public HandProfileContactLogbookNote
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
{{though I did it with sarcasm}] Damn, must have broken my sarcasm detector at last weekend's letterboxing bash in Sydney.......
by Oberon_KenobiProfileContactLogbookNote
I wrote: though I did it with sarcasm Public Hand wrote: Damn, must have broken my sarcasm detector at last weekend's letterboxing bash in Sydney....... Well, I could hear it in my head. It is too bad that we don't have punctuation to mark sarcasm....
by dingus dufusProfileContactLogbookNote
the man who started it in England is now in his 90s and in a pensioner's home He might be more like 190 years old. I think letterboxing began in 1854.
by KirbertProfileContactLogbookNote
What? No hand-carved stamps? Not entirely but the preponderance of those we found were store bought. Haven't been, but I heard that the preponderance there are custom-made. I heard they view hand-carved stamps with derision -- which makes me wonder if...
I was referring to Godfrey, also known as Good, who's the man who negotiated with the park service in Dartmoor to allow for letterboxing.
by MissMoonProfileContactLogbookNote
He might be more like 190 years old. I think letterboxing began in 1854. Those Brits *are* tough folk. :)
God* curse you autocorrect!
by dingus dufusProfileContactLogbookNote
Sorry, missed your reference in the previous posts.
No harm, no foul......Lord help me if I ever get THAT sensitive!!!
by Wry MeProfileContactLogbookNote
God* curse you autocorrect! We already knew it was really God. Which of course explains the longevity as well.
by Green TortugaProfileContactLogbookNote
We found zero boxes close to the road, most of them are planted around the Tors (of which there are a lot) and rock formations. If you look at the distributions of boxes on the tors.... those closest to roads (at least those close to parking areas) ten...
If you look at the distributions of boxes on the tors.... those closest to roads (at least those close to parking areas) tend to get the majority of boxes. That was not our experience.....we felt that the boxes closest to the nearby Tors were missing m...
by Green TortugaProfileContactLogbookNote
we felt that the boxes closest to the nearby Tors were missing more than not..... That could very well be true.... We almost never followed any clues. We just scavenged around looking in likely locations so if a box was missing, we didn't know it. We w...
by RIclimberProfileContactLogbookNote
Now she doesn’t attend my events. At least that you know of. Better go check those logbooks. ;) Actually, I know for a fact that she will not log into logbooks if she knows she is not welcome there. I've seen her do it and she told me exactly why.
Actually, I know for a fact that she will not log into logbooks Pretty sure that's against the rules and therefore not a "real find," since no one can verify your find by seeing your stamp when they visit the log book. Therefore, neither of them actual...
by Early RisersProfileContactLogbookNote
Pretty sure that's against the rules and therefore not a "real find," since no one can verify your find by seeing your stamp when they visit the log book. Then what happens with the various boxes in Illinois that have no logbooks? There have been stam...
by AlishaMishaProfileContactLogbookNote
My thoughts too. I mean, I plant sometimes without logbooks. A magnet LB here, a vacation plant there, etc. To my knowledge the logbook requirement is geocaching-only as the cache swag is not the cache, but the logbook is. And with LB, the bare minimu...
Then what happens with the various boxes in Illinois that have no logbooks? Nothing. I was being sarcastic. (Though, technically, you're supposed to have one.) I think I'm deeper in the thread than you are, too.
Nothing. I was being sarcastic. (Though, technically, you're supposed to have one.) I think I'm deeper in the thread than you are, too. No, I wasn't being serious. Just doin' some wishful thinking. :) That if they disappeared from atlasquest, folks m...
Then you'll appreciate my favorite logbook ever. No spoilers, promise.
Then you'll appreciate my favorite logbook ever. No spoilers, promise. That is indeed the best logbook ever. Love it! Reminds me of some of the thru-hiking journals we've read in our AT younger days. My cousins & I have planted a lot of boxes using...
That is so awesome! ...and I think I need to steal that idea. Especially since I'm a teacher. AND two of my students are now letterboxing. I also think hiking the AT sounds awesome. AT least while I'm still on the couch.
No logbook because the box is a magnet-backed stamp on the underside of a mailbox is OK. No logbook just because you didn't feel like spending the 79 cents for a logbook is not.
No logbook because the box is a magnet-backed stamp on the underside of a mailbox is OK. No logbook just because you didn't feel like spending the 79 cents for a logbook is not. OKaaaay. :) And what do we do with the lazy cheap boxer who makes a "mag...
by Oberon_KenobiProfileContactLogbookNote
No logbook because the box is a magnet-backed stamp on the underside of a mailbox is OK. No logbook [...] Some people would like to skip boxes with no log book. Should an attribute be added that indicates "no logbook"? Right now it would have to be p...
by RocklunProfileContactLogbookNote
Now, there may be parts of the country soooo jammed with boxes that there's just noooo other place any longer to hide a box except on the underside of a metal mailbox that can't even contain a tiny logbook. Even Dr. Phil, bad as he is most of the time...
by Trailhead TessieProfileContactLogbookNote
But, heck, thanks for letting me know that I'm a lazy cheap boxer because I deliberately chose not to put a logbook in a handful of my boxes. It's a lot more work and planning to hide snow-friendly boxes like yours located well down a hiking trail than...
by HoneychyckProfileContactLogbookNote
Also here in MA (well, New England), we also have a comparatively active letterboxing community. I've often wondered if it's because we don't get persnickety about our rules and, frankly, are friendlier for it. No logbook? No problem, we're being bi...
by Phoenix RizingProfileContactLogbookNote
Well THIS thread has certainly garnered some interesting observations!!! My 2cents, which I'm sure in 2019 standards is probably 25 or 50 cents by now... Should W&P find one of my boxes? That's nice... Should no one find any of my boxes? Oh well... S...
Growing up, I had a next-door neighbor who kicked their kids out of the house the day they turned 18. No excuses. No money. Just pack your bags, you're an adult now, you're outta here. Hah! I had the same neighbor!