Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: It's True!

by ElleProfileContactLogbookNote
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
I have heard of the legendary travels and great box count of Wanda and Pete. Today while doing some box maintenance and looking through one of my logbooks what should appear before my bulging eyes ***wait for it**** the signature "stamp" of yes in...
by airstream dreamsProfileContactLogbookNote
I love when Wanda finds my boxes, she always writes a nice little note.
by PiggyJauntProfileContactLogbookNote
I will have to box my whole life to catch up to them and I'll still never be anywhere close. Wanda has a secret sense. I swear, she can just go to a box. It's impressive and she's so quick on her feet! It's an inspiration to get more in shape.
by Three FLAmigo'sProfileContactLogbookNote
Online logging is against the spirit of letterboxing somehow. Not just online logging is against the spirit of letterboxing but so are drive-bys, temporary plants, events with more than a few boxes, gatherings with more than 25 people... Letterboxing...
by Wry MeProfileContactLogbookNote
They (she) believes that the only time you should know if someone found a box is by visiting that box. Whatever. That would prevent me from planting more than 5 miles from my house and thus limit my finders to about -- two. Maybe. Isn't having an act...
by KirbertProfileContactLogbookNote
...but so are drive-bys... You need to find a couple of my drive-bys! Sometimes I feel bad about listing them as drive-bys since the drive is a real adventure! I've got one drive-by in which the drive is a 15-mile round trip that includes driving thr...
by DawgdokProfileContactLogbookNote
If people don’t want to find a plant as a drive by, they can always walk to it!
by LCABProfileContactLogbookNote
And never with a date on it either .. lol ...
There has been many a recipient to get a tongue lashing and the promise of a boycott. That nastiness towards people giving events is very uncalled for. I'm so surprised that anyone would do that to you Three FLAmigo's, your event was so much fun!! Th...
by DawnkeyProfileContactLogbookNote
Well said, LCAB!
by Boxer Lover47ProfileContactLogbookNote
I have a similar box - the first one I ever planted back in 2005: Box #6564. You have to drive through the creek 14 times. As you said, it's the drive to the drive-by that is the adventure!
by Oberon_KenobiProfileContactLogbookNote
I like the prospect of finding a box of yours, but I read the clue. That is NOT one I would try in my car.
I'm sorry that it happened to you too!! You've been great about sharing your event stamps with several of us to plant. I have been able to plant trails using your stamps in Florida & South Carolina on my way North. I'm so glad that I made it to yo...
Here are some more facts about our interesting hobby and traditions. Over there in Dartmoor, they have plants close to the road and easy to find, even without clues (the equivalent of our drive-by's, yeah?), places without a 100 Club post their clues...
by Public HandProfileContactLogbookNote
So just some feedback based on our experiences in Dartmoor. they have plants close to the road and easy to find, even without clues We found zero boxes close to the road, most of them are planted around the Tors (of which there are a lot) and rock for...
Wry Me wrote: What? No hand-carved stamps? Public Hand replied: Not entirely but the preponderance of those we found were store bought. So much for those who want us to return to the traditions of those who started letterboxing. Or did they just wan...
Or did they just want us to return to the origins of letterboxing in the USA? Yeah. That was kinda my point. Any one of those things has in the past caused kerfluffles. I don't agree/disagree w/ how they do things over there & obviously some info is no...
Thanks for this much better info! On my dumpster list. (Bucket is full.)
So much for those who want us to return to the traditions of those who started letterboxing Not trying to be difficult or contrary but my understanding is the man who started it in England is now in his 90s and in a pensioner's home.....and I haven't m...
So the point I'm trying to make is that there is no one way to box.....to each his own (as long as the safety and no tearing up the landscape rules are followed). The point I was making, though I did it with sarcasm. It is fun doing it my way. And yo...
{{though I did it with sarcasm}] Damn, must have broken my sarcasm detector at last weekend's letterboxing bash in Sydney.......
I wrote: though I did it with sarcasm Public Hand wrote: Damn, must have broken my sarcasm detector at last weekend's letterboxing bash in Sydney....... Well, I could hear it in my head. It is too bad that we don't have punctuation to mark sarcasm....
by dingus dufusProfileContactLogbookNote
the man who started it in England is now in his 90s and in a pensioner's home He might be more like 190 years old. I think letterboxing began in 1854.
by KirbertProfileContactLogbookNote
What? No hand-carved stamps? Not entirely but the preponderance of those we found were store bought. Haven't been, but I heard that the preponderance there are custom-made. I heard they view hand-carved stamps with derision -- which makes me wonder if...
I was referring to Godfrey, also known as Good, who's the man who negotiated with the park service in Dartmoor to allow for letterboxing.
by MissMoonProfileContactLogbookNote
He might be more like 190 years old. I think letterboxing began in 1854. Those Brits *are* tough folk. :)
God* curse you autocorrect!
by dingus dufusProfileContactLogbookNote
Sorry, missed your reference in the previous posts.
No harm, no foul......Lord help me if I ever get THAT sensitive!!!
God* curse you autocorrect! We already knew it was really God. Which of course explains the longevity as well.