Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Recommend inexpensive markers?

Recommend inexpensive markers?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Apr 3, 2019 12:56pm
Board
Hi All!
Letterboxing (with kids) with clues that require colored markers for the stamps. Looking for a decent inexpensive marker brand/set to go with. I don't want to be heartbroken if a child ruins or loses a marker. Also, any tips or tricks to using markers would be great!! Thanks!
Re: Recommend inexpensive markers?
Reply to: #973763 by Trail Fairy
Apr 3, 2019 1:01pm
Board
Crayola. The fat ones. I've gotten them at the dollar store and they work well. I haven't gotten the ones that say washable though, I don't know how well they would work.

Tip- just huffing the stamp before stamping, especially if there are multple colors-and color the light colors first (yellow before any dark colors).
Apr 3, 2019 1:01pm
Board
I have used standard Crayola Washable markers with Girl Scouts. The have fairly large surface and are easy to replace. They may not meet the standards of the more artistically inclined adults, but the kids have been fine with the quality. Since I have been doing this for years and can plan ahead, I buy my markers on the Summer back to school sales to save even more money.

Lowland Lass
Reply to: #973765 by Lowland Lass
Apr 3, 2019 2:07pm
Board
I agree - Crayola markers work great - I also love the scented markers for even more fun!
Apr 3, 2019 5:13pm
Board
A lot of people have said Crayola, which I agree with, and they would be easy to find. Also if you’re near an IKEA, their Mala markers work well. I’ve been carrying a set of those for about a year now and really like them.
Apr 3, 2019 7:51pm
Board
Crayola standard markers work well. Just watch out for their "fabric" line of markers. They offer neat colors and it may have just been my experience, but I have experienced more difficulty with these fabric ones inking up as well.
Apr 20, 2019 6:42am
Board
Thanks so much Everyone! All the ideas and tips are extremely helpful!!