About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Austin Boxing

Austin Boxing
Board: State: Texas
Apr 1, 2019 8:05am
Board
I just found out that I will be in Austin for a work conference/training in May. I will be staying near the convention center, but will not have vehicle access unless I call an Uber. I'll be in training all day, but I'd like to work in a letterbox or 2 if possible. Does anyone have a recommendation for a box (or boxes) that are walking distance from the convention center? I'll probably look for them early evening once my classes let out.
Re: Austin Boxing
Reply to: #973643 by LadyRisa
Apr 1, 2019 9:12am
Board
There are not many boxes walking distance from the Austin Convention Center but if you were to get a ride to the Texas State Cemetery at 909 Navasota St you should be able to box for an hour or more. Another spot not far from downtown is the Oakwood Cemetery at 1601 Navasota St. If the weather is bad there are 4-5 boxes inside the new Austin Public Library at 10 W. César Chávez St.
Reply to: #973654 by PI Joe
Apr 1, 2019 9:42am
Board
There are not many boxes walking distance from the Austin Convention Center

Looking on Google, all 3 of the places you listed are within a 30 min walk from my hotel. I can manage that as long as the weather is decent. All seem like exciting places to box. Thanks!
Reply to: #973654 by PI Joe
Apr 26, 2019 12:53pm
Board
there are 4-5 boxes inside the new Austin Public Library at 10 W. César Chávez St.

Looking at the map, the library is less than a 20 min walk from the convention center & it looks like there is a walking trail along the river. thanks for the advice. glad to see i have options.
Reply to: #973643 by LadyRisa
May 15, 2019 11:47am
Board
So just to update everyone, I made it to the central library & found the boxes there. Wow! What a place! Thanks to everyone for the input.
Reply to: #975254 by LadyRisa
May 15, 2019 12:08pm
Board
Glad you had a good time. That library is wild, isn't it!
Reply to: #975254 by LadyRisa
May 15, 2019 3:23pm
Board
Yep - amazing library. And glad you picked up a couple of my boxes. :)
Reply to: #975261 by Origami Hen
May 15, 2019 5:48pm
Board
When do you leave LadyRisa?