Search Edit Search

Read Thread: The purpose of a logbook

Re: The purpose of a logbook
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #973359 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 25, 2019 8:46pm
Board
me....
I don't think it's not a real letterbox if there's no logbook but I would hate to see them disappear from the hobby just because we can log online.

you.....
Does there need to be a logbook in each box? Many people don't like to have to stamp that many logbooks in a series.

I said .....that I don't think it's not a real letterbox if there is no logbook.....soooooo........then...........it's still a letterbox if there is no logbook..........sooooooo..........noooo............there does not need to be a logbook in each box.
Reply to: #973349 by MissMoon
Mar 26, 2019 3:32am
Board
I do like to flip through them as a finder and see who else has been there, I also as a planter thought I'd like to have it back once full, so had been surprised to learn some people didn't. Hearing everyone's views on having them back vs. leaving them in the box for "history" has been good food for thought.
Reply to: #973303 by Basset Mom
Mar 26, 2019 6:34am
Board
I'm probably going to rain down all sorts of "hate" on me ... haha ... but that is not my intention.

BTW, people shouldn't feel as though they might get flamed for asking questions on these boards. We're all at different levels of learning, but every one of us started out as newbies.
Reply to: #973303 by Basset Mom
Mar 26, 2019 12:48pm
Board
I love seeing logbooks in boxes! Intrinsically Knotted and I were talking about this the other day. I flip through the books and it feels like a little wave from friends saying "hello!"

There was also the time when I went to find this 1 box and I opened the logbook and there was my signature from 1 year and 1 day previous! (I had forgotten to log the find...oops...I guess I waved at myself ;)
Reply to: #973362 by MissMoon
Mar 26, 2019 12:51pm
Board
I don't think it's not a real letterbox if there's no logbook but I would hate to see them disappear from the hobby just because we can log online.

Triple negatives make me dizzy!

;)
Reply to: #973391 by dingus dufus
Mar 26, 2019 1:25pm
Board

I don't not never like them either.
Reply to: #973390 by PeaceLovePiano and Mom
Mar 26, 2019 2:58pm
Board
Here's a little wave from a friend saying "hello!" *grin*

When my friends and I (including PLP) started boxing, we really enjoyed seeing the logbooks in all the boxes in our area, and getting to know who the local boxers were. We got to know their names and sig stamps long before we ever met them in person and it was always neat to see a stamp we recognized. It feels like making a connection with this community every time we flip through a logbook.

So I like that most boxes have logbooks, because to me it's an integral part of the hobby and the community. That said, I've found a few boxes that deliberately did not have logbooks because they were very small and stealthily hidden in the middle of a busy area. These are boxes that would probably not survive if they were big enough for a logbook, and it was awesome to be able to find them. I guess my feeling is that a logbook should be included by default, but that every planter should decide what's right for the box they are going to plant.

Regarding full logbooks, I like seeing them in the boxes if there is room for them. If the box has survived that long (and the logbook has stayed dry--a nontrivial proposition in our area!) then it's especially fun to see who is in there! But I totally support the planter's desire to take home the full logbook if they choose to.

I guess what I'm thinking is that letterboxing as a hobby is very much what we make of it--flexible and designed to be fun. There are very few rules that can't be broken (except "no planting in national parks!")
Reply to: #973397 by Intrinsically Knotted
Mar 27, 2019 12:56am
Board
Regarding full logbooks, I like seeing them in the boxes if there is room for them.

When a log book is full, I've been known to replace the container with larger so that it could hold both log books.
Reply to: #973320 by Kelsung
Mar 27, 2019 7:09pm
Board
In reading the end of Der Mad Stamper's post, I just realized the other day that that's actually becoming true for me. I've become much less inclined to go searching for a box without a logbook. The no-logbook idea has become more popular in my area. Never really realized it before, but seeing the stamps of others who have logged in is half the fun for me.

My cousins & I have placed a number of boxes over the years that have been retired, & we've kept all the logbooks. It's fun to look back at the stamps in them every so often & remember some of the great boxers that aren't around much any longer. It's just not same looking at the "View Finds" online at AQ.
Mar 28, 2019 6:42am
Board

Wait, what.....'make' you dizzy'??? lol

It was a heck of a sentence, I admit. lol
Mar 28, 2019 6:58am
Board
I neither like nor do I approve or disagree with that of which I am not fully cognizant.