Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: How is that Power Plant Challenge going?

Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #974243 by CoffeeSpoons
Apr 17, 2019 4:31am
Board
I thought that the prize was that the letterboxing community as a whole benefits from all the additional plants we now have to find! The patch and/or path tag are a fun marker of the event. Buying them in quantity is expensive - glad to contribute.

I'm at 54 permanent traditional boxes planted since 11/1. Thanks to Super Hedge Hoggie and crew for inspiring us all to get out there and plant.
Reply to: #974261 by paper trail
Apr 17, 2019 5:01am
Board
Thank you, Paper Trail, for saying what I was thinking. This challenge has encouraged me to clear my desk of 88 stamps and logbooks that have been sitting around for years. Now the fun begins as I get to begin carving guilt free again.

I, too, am happy to pay that very small fee.
Apr 17, 2019 5:27am
Board
I am happy to have more stamps to seek. There are not a lot of people in my area, yet I can occasionally travel with my husband when he goes out of town to work where there are more boxes planted.

I wonder if we will be told how many boxes total were planted for the challenge. That might be an interesting number!
Reply to: #974262 by Janila
Apr 17, 2019 5:30am
Board
Whoa! Maybe you could call the Power Plant Challenge the Spring Cleaning Planting Challenge. 😉

I imagine that it is a good feeling to get them all out into the wild and out of your home.
Apr 17, 2019 7:12am
Board
See I kinda agree with RIClimber and Coffeespoons. The prize is that we all get more boxes. But I've planted 142 boxes, driven over 20 hours to plant in places where they will actually be found, and it's a considerable cost for plastic, bags, and pink stuff. So I am definitely not spending $3 more :)
Reply to: #974267 by PiggyJaunt
Apr 17, 2019 8:51am
Board
Others get the "Prize" of more boxes to find. I get the "Prize" of 100+ more boxes to maintain. I'm not in it for the "Prize" - I just want to beat PiggyJaunt!!
Reply to: #972888 by RDHG
Apr 20, 2019 3:47pm
Board
I managed to get 78 new traditional boxes hidden before my busy season at work hit. I have about 4 others ready for hiding but one of my hiding places didn't pan out the way I hoped so I didn't leave it... and another I just need to go over there and hide it. I hoped to hit 100- oh well! I'm still personally impressed that I managed this many, and that so many others have hidden so many as well!

I don't mind chipping in $3. We drive (or fly!) all over the place for events and give donations to the hosts to cover their costs. This is basically the same- helping cover the costs for those who came up with this unique 'event' that inspired us all to hide more boxes for each other.

In the end I bet some people will be generous and help cover the costs for those choose not to. It always seems to work out in the end. I hope that you don't let a $3 donation (Whether or not you pay it) spoil the spirit of what has happened the past few months-- did you have fun carving? Planting? Getting extra reason to get out and DO it? Finding stamps hidden by others because of this challenge? Did you find a new trail because you were scouting a new place to plant, or because someone planted where you've never been? Because in the end, THAT is really what it was all about.
Reply to: #974391 by Munkeybee
Apr 20, 2019 4:29pm
Board
Today I planted #8, 9, and 10. Woohooo!!! I made it. Did you see the 2 I dedicated to you? If not, check them out. You need to come back to Indian Trail and find them.
Reply to: #974394 by THE RED CYCLONE
Apr 20, 2019 5:37pm
Board
Awww did you really?? I'll look those up! I'll have to head back out there! You're the sweetest, thank you!
Reply to: #972888 by RDHG
Apr 21, 2019 11:19am
Board
I have to plant 3 more boxes before the end of the month to reach my 10. I don't know why it's been so hard to plant the final three! Kuddos to everyone who has been able to plant more!
Reply to: #974412 by LadyRisa
Apr 21, 2019 5:39pm
Board
I am on board with the ideas in Munkeybee's post, but the bottom line for me is, please do not widely announce a challenge and not mention until later that the prize will have to be paid for. Don't change the rules of the end date.
I am delayed in getting outside and planting the ten I have prepared for the challenge, so my question now would be, can I simply wait 2 weeks when I am not so busy - then get them planted and mail away to pay for the patch? - just let me know, cause I'd love to have the patch.
Heck, I have only a few weeks next to figure out my few potential plants intended for PAL Day.
I am only mildly sympathetic to the expense of the patches/pathtags because again, that needed to be considered in advance!
Some time back I purchased a 300 bulk amount of First Finder patches (from papertrail's design) so I could have as many as I needed personally and ultimately have been selling them barely above cost and I pay for the postage. I knew the expense going in - no guarantee on 'sales' also no regrets.
At many events I've attended, it has been apparent to me that the donations and raffles (from donated items) pretty well compensate the expense of the event. This is a wonderful thing - especially so for the hard work of the organizers putting together a great event we can all enjoy.
I'll make a donation if I end up planting by the end of this month, but also am hopeful it has been a learning experience for the promoters.
Please be thoughtful and don't promote a challenge you can't or won't be able to stand up to.
Happy Easter to all!
Reply to: #974412 by LadyRisa
Apr 26, 2019 2:14pm
Board
I just got my 10th one planted today. I did it! Yea!
This was a great experience, and really forced me to get it done.
I still have about 5-6 more that I have carved and sitting in reserve. Now to get those out on the trail.m

Thanks again for the challenge!
:D