A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Question on Unlisted Boxes

Re: Question on Unlisted Boxes
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #972871 by Hart x6
Mar 18, 2019 10:35pm
Board
They are separated now. Change the 'Finds' dropdown to 'Unlisted Finds'.
Reply to: #972872 by Eidolon
Mar 19, 2019 5:52am
Board
Thanks. :-)

hx6
Reply to: #972872 by Eidolon
Mar 19, 2019 3:37pm
Board
I guess I have another question . . . why?

Seems to me the more desirable way to go about it would be to have all ones boxes (listed and unlisted) be in one online logbook.

hx6
Reply to: #972951 by Hart x6
Mar 19, 2019 3:44pm
Board

I think I recall Ryan saying that having the unlisted finds mixed in caused a slow computer operation which was something he was trying to fix. I don't have enough listings yet for slow processing to bother me.
Reply to: #972954 by Wronghat
Mar 19, 2019 6:06pm
Board
having the unlisted finds mixed in caused a slow computer operation

Great, so now I'm spending approximately 1.3 billion hours logging each of my found boxes into a spreadsheet so I have an integrated electronic logbook of all my finds. Probably should have done that from the start rather than rely on someone else to do it for me, but I'm lazy. But at least I'm able to add important info for the unlisted finds, such as the location, planter, and date planted. I'm finding this is especially important for the LbNA finds because some of the earlier listing have been deleted. Not archived, but completely deleted, and I didn't write some of that down in my hard copy logbooks. If my logbooks were destroyed, I'd have no record of that info.

It's really nice to be able to sort the spreadsheet by trail or park or town, and see all the listed and unlisted boxes I've found there. I've got about 500 done, only a few thousand more to go.
Reply to: #972962 by Trailhead Tessie
Mar 19, 2019 10:20pm
Board
Great, so now I'm spending approximately 1.3 billion hours logging each of my found boxes into a spreadsheet so I have an integrated electronic logbook of all my finds.

I've had a Word Document Spreadsheet since I started boxing in 2006. I used to be on it, at the end of the day, update spreadsheet.

Now, so many years later, I lag. I'll let a few months go, and then update my spreadsheet . . . hence, I logged a bunch of finds and then realized, "hey, I should have some unlisted finds on that day." Thus my inquiry.

Hopefully the "slow computer operation" problem is all it is, and one day be back to "normal." In the mean time, I will try to keep up on my unlisted finds to avoid the trying to remember, "did I find this box, or that box first??"

hx6
Reply to: #972962 by Trailhead Tessie
Mar 20, 2019 1:25am
Board
It's really nice to be able to sort the spreadsheet by trail or park or town, and see all the listed and unlisted boxes

I totally agree that a spread sheet which we can custom make and which gives all of the information that we personally want is a much better option but agree it is also a more time consuming option. My spreadsheet dates back to 2003 and I have over 8000 finds and I don't think I refer to my online log book very often anymore. I am especially grateful that I have it now that our searches seemed to pull only 2500 listings instead of the whole log book.
My spreadsheet includes things like length of hike, who I hiked with, exact name and location of the park where the box is, sometimes I even include the exact trail name. Once you get the initial data listed, it really doesn't take long to just add your new finds if you keep up with it. With all of the new changes, I am eternally grateful that I have been doing my own tracking.
Reply to: #972986 by Janila
Mar 20, 2019 5:00am
Board
I'd like to learn more about your spreadsheets. I'm thinking of creating one and I'd be interested in knowing the categories others think are helpful or necessary.

So far I'm hearing:
Date of find
Name of box
Number of box
Location of box - Park name and trail name
Hike length
Who was with you

Other categories?
Reply to: #973000 by Angel Winks
Mar 20, 2019 6:23am
Board
Other categories?

I'd add:
Carver
Planter
Date planted
If I was first finder
Event if it was found durning an event
Mar 20, 2019 7:46am
Board
Mine is:
Box name
AQ or LBNA number or WOM
Location or Park name/trail
City
State
Event name
Planter
Description of stamp
Hike Length
Who was with me
Comments - first finder, trouble finding, cool things I saw, etc.
I feel like I'm forgetting something. I will have to check when I am home and edit this response.
Mar 20, 2019 8:16am
Board
Other categories?

I track the county the box is actually located in, which is not always listed or sometimes listed incorectly on AQ and/or LbNA. This is because I am on a quest:

Red for geocaching finds and/or plants. Blue for letterboxing finds and/or plants. Purple for both.
Mar 20, 2019 8:35am
Board
Excellent, everyone! Thank you.
Reply to: #972951 by Hart x6
Mar 20, 2019 12:39pm
Board

Seems to me the more desirable way to go about it would be to have all ones boxes (listed and unlisted) be in one online logbook.

They are in one logbook, just on different pages. Actually, having the unlisted finds listed all together on one page in the dropdown menu is I think the only thing I like about the logbook since the update.

With regard to the so called slowness issue of having listed and unlisted all together, I never noticed any kind of slow loading of my logbook with them all together so I saw no reason for the change.

For me, my logbook was perfectly fine before the update. Now the one long page thing takes longer to load than it did before. I mean it loaded fine before. Now it takes longer. I don't see anything efficient about that.