A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Blue stuff?

Re: Blue stuff?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #972833 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 18, 2019 9:28am
Board
Blue stuff is less expensive than pink stuff - but also a little softer/more crumbly. Great for shorter term stamps, but probably not the best bet for planting in the wild (in my opinion).

https://www.dickblick.com/products/speedball-speedy-cut-easy-blocks/
Reply to: #972834 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Mar 18, 2019 10:44am
Board
Yea, what Hedge Hoggie said ... cheaper ... both in price and in quality. I did a couple carves on it, and it was crumbly ... never again.
Reply to: #972833 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 18, 2019 1:54pm
Board
The carving in your link certainly can't be the 'blue stuff' that we are all familiar with. The edges are too fine and pristine to have been carved from the crumbly, blue garbage we all know and hate, lol.
Reply to: #972849 by InkTap
Mar 18, 2019 2:55pm
Board
There is a blue material that is pretty common in parts of Europe called Factis and a number of carvers I've seen with pristine carves seem to carve with it (I haven't tried it): https://www.gerstaecker.nl/FACTIS-Artist-s-Carving-Block-drukplaten.html
Reply to: #972849 by InkTap
Mar 18, 2019 6:15pm
Board
I agree. The carver in question has a thriving Etsy business... over 3000 sales. Hard to believe she could could do that with cheap, crumbly crap.

For those interested:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CassaStamps

DZ
Reply to: #972861 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 19, 2019 7:09am
Board
Those are really nice stamps! And I see they ship from Spain, so it would fit with the European blue carving material listed above. Interesting!
Reply to: #972851 by Bumble
Mar 19, 2019 12:19pm
Board
There is a blue material that is pretty common in parts of Europe called Factis...

I haven't tried it either! And I've tried most! Nobody imports Factis to the US?
Reply to: #972851 by Bumble
Mar 19, 2019 1:46pm
Board
There is a blue material that is pretty common in parts of Europe called Factis and a number of carvers I've seen with pristine carves seem to carve with it

So since we seem to have come to the conclusion that this ISN'T the Blue Crumbly stuff, is it safe to say that, as the old saying goes...
"Factis stronger than friction" ?
Reply to: #972924 by Kirbert
Mar 19, 2019 2:02pm
Board
I haven't seen it anywhere, but I'd be willing to buy a slab for import and take one for the team...
Reply to: #972933 by wassamatta u
Mar 19, 2019 6:20pm
Board
Factis stronger than friction

We need a 'GROAN' button!!
Reply to: #972933 by wassamatta u
Mar 20, 2019 9:36am
Board

That deserves some random axe of kindness.
Reply to: #973016 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 20, 2019 7:03pm
Board

That deserves some random axe of kindness.

Like this one?
Reply to: #972940 by Bumble
Mar 20, 2019 7:46pm
Board
I’m traveling to Europe soon, will keep my eyes open and see if I find some. :-)
Reply to: #973055 by Explorin Orren
Mar 20, 2019 8:12pm
Board
I’m traveling to Europe soon, will keep my eyes open and see if I find some.

Can I place my order?
Mar 21, 2019 1:08am
Board
Factis may not sell carving material stateside, but they do sell erasers.

http://www.erasersworld.com/eng/factis.htm

Maybe somebody can get ahold of the importer and talk him into bringing over some carving slabs with the next shipment.
Reply to: #973057 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 21, 2019 4:49am
Board
Can I place my order?

IF I find it I will try to pick up several. :-)
Reply to: #973057 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 21, 2019 4:55am
Board
I’m traveling to Europe soon, will keep my eyes open and see if I find some.

You need a second suitcase to bring back a whole load... Seriously, I'd pay for some too.
Reply to: #973062 by Explorin Orren
Mar 21, 2019 5:21am
Board
I would like to be put on the order list for this. And then I'd like to make a trip to Florida to pick it up :).
Reply to: #973060 by Kirbert
Mar 21, 2019 6:52am
Board
Factis may not sell carving material stateside, but they do sell erasers.

Unless I’m missing something, that link goes to a collectors site. I couldn’t find anywhere to order. Also it appears it might be a Russian site. There’s an email address, I’ll write her and see what I can find out.

Update: my email server would not allow me to send an email to the address she has listed. Plus it’s an .ru suffix - definitely Russian.
Reply to: #973065 by Angel Winks
Mar 21, 2019 11:33am
Board
then I'd like to make a trip to Florida to pick it up :).

You are welcome to come visit anytime :-)

Will let you know if I find any.
Mar 30, 2019 11:18am
Board
So I bought a piece and had it shipped to me for quite a pretty penny. Without having opened the package, it looks *just like* the pink stuff but a different colour - to the point if someone told me it was the same formulation under a different brand name/colour, I'd believe it.

I plan to carve some up and I'll post a review soon...
Reply to: #973560 by Bumble
Mar 30, 2019 1:02pm
Board
Looking forward to it!
Reply to: #973560 by Bumble
Mar 30, 2019 1:08pm
Board
So I bought a piece and had it shipped to me for quite a pretty penny.

Were you able to translate the site into English, and communicate with them? Can you reveal the cost and size of the piece, and the shipping charge to the U.S.?
Reply to: #973563 by Wise Wanderer
Mar 30, 2019 3:34pm
Board
I spent a good long while trying to find a site online that would ship internationally. I just use Chrome with its auto translate (I do this to buy all my Seed and Hankeshikun from Asia without problems). However, none of teh German, Dutch, or Spanish sites that had it would ship outside of the EU. The only place I could find that would send it to Canada is Amazon.co.uk via its marketplace (in other words, not sold directly by Amazon but by some other seller who jacked the price up).

The price of the slab was significantly higher and the shipping was really expensive. Ultimately, the 9x15cm slab I bought was just shy of $20 CAD - certainly not something I would be willing to pay generally, but I wanted to try the material to see if it was worthwhile trying to try and call and test my crappy Spanish to see if I could get it in bulk...

For those who want to try to find this stuff as well, you should know that "Factis Artist's Carving Block" is made in Spain and they have a tan/beige thicker version as well (again, shockingly like the pairing of Speedy Carve and Speedy Cut).
Reply to: #973569 by Bumble
Mar 30, 2019 5:58pm
Board
"Factis Artist's Carving Block" is made in Spain

Interesting... the Pink Stuff is also manufactured in Spain. Ryan may or may not have visited the production facility while hiking the Camino (reports and police records vary on this point).
Reply to: #973569 by Bumble
Mar 31, 2019 4:46pm
Board
So I did it as a video review: https://youtu.be/ok1s96Kv8eM

All in all, I like it - but to me, it is either the same as the pink or a very good knockoff, so I wouldn't go out of my way to try to import it...
Apr 3, 2019 4:32am
Board
Yea, can I put in an order too?

BB
Apr 5, 2019 9:27am
Board
Update on travels and blue stuff - haven’t found Factis yet but found another blue stuff in Munich at idee. der creativmarkt —it is Paper poetry brand here I did find a site (in English) that sells Factis but no shipping to states, but it does say there is a store in Berlin! alas we are not going to Berlin :( the website is modulor
Hoping those links work! We have one more city to visit so will check there also, one can always hope!
Reply to: #973821 by Explorin Orren
Apr 5, 2019 10:28am
Board
Hoping those links work!

Well, yes and no. On the first one, I can *see* the blue stuff, but I don't see any way to get more information on it! I can't even see how you'd order it, presumably if you're in an area they ship to.

On that second link, the price on that Factis stuff doesn't look bad. 10,5 Euros for an 8" x 11" piece is a better price than we can typically get on pink stuff stateside, I believe. Of course, shipping would be added.
Reply to: #973825 by Kirbert
Apr 5, 2019 11:32am
Board
here’s link to idee. site but its in German. The packaging also has very little info on it.