Read Thread: Posting pics of images that are not yours

Re: Posting pics of images that are not yours
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #972760 by Snark
Mar 16, 2019 3:55pm
Board
And slapped down like Wry Me's snark.

Nah. I like the newbs.

It's similar to the way folks here post links to tutorials and glossaries, only they really did seem to get irritated. (Man, that was 20+ years ago!) It was a bit of an expectation, really, to read over the basics and to hang for awhile to get a feel for the community norms. Users usually did not like answering the same "starter" questions over and over again, then and now apparently, hence the the FAQ, glossaries, tutorials, etc. which replaced the rtfm files.

It was actually an etiquette thing to feel out the community norms, so I learned to lurk early on. I didn't post on here for over two years. And I was nervous.

I was fortunate enough to be mentored by some pretty awesome boxers long before I approached the wider community.

God. Dial-ups, BBS's, non-graphical interfaces, ftp, rtfm files, that awesome sound your modem made getting connected, getting kicked off when the phone had in incoming call, black & white monitors, being ecstatic when you watch someone type a message to you letter-by-letter in real-time! Does this sound like a "Grandma, tell us about the dinosaurs!" post? Please shoot me.
Reply to: #972765 by Wry Me
Mar 16, 2019 5:39pm
Board
Nah. I like the newbs.

That is why I answered with snarky sarcasm.

We understand you more than you would like to know.

I was fortunate enough to be mentored by some pretty awesome boxers long before I approached the wider community.

I usually wait for Wassamata U to make the self-congratulatory comment, but yes, we are pretty awesome.

Dial-ups, BBS's, non-graphical interfaces, ftp, rtfm files, that awesome sound your modem made getting connected, getting kicked off when the phone had in incoming call, black & white monitors, being ecstatic when you watch someone type a message to you letter-by-letter in real-time! Does this sound like a "Grandma, tell us about the dinosaurs!" post? Please shoot me.

Dial-up modem to Grandma Dinosaur.
Reply to: #972768 by Snark
Mar 16, 2019 7:19pm
Board
Dial-up modem.

That was oddly comforting.