A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Reuse...why?

Re: Reuse...why?
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #972197 by Linden Leaf
Feb 27, 2019 11:46am
Board
They are sold on Amazon at a 100-pack for $11 and change, so, roughly 11-cents apiece? Well worth it to me not to deal with the tape to begin with, much less figuring out how/where to remove the tape-on-tape when it comes back, and not destroy the envelope in the process.
Reply to: #972201 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 27, 2019 12:01pm
Board
Oh sweet Amazon. I'm going to go find them!
Reply to: #972195 by Linden Leaf
Feb 27, 2019 6:06pm
Board
I’ll be happy to come do it for you! 😄
It’s thereaputic for me. It’s a mental state.

Plus I love it when they become dog-eared with history.

Ugh... I'm such a whiner today.

Joke: what did the grape say when she was stepped on? Nothing, she just let out a little whine.

😎
DZ
Reply to: #972201 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 27, 2019 6:17pm
Board
Envelopes Can be recycled but once tape is layered on then it’s only reusable. Tough choice
Reply to: #972214 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 28, 2019 3:05pm
Board
Recycle? Reuse? I am not prolific card maker, but last year one of my first taped bubble envelopes finally wore out. It was a sad moment. If I still had the ones that fell into black holes, I'd be envelope rich!
Now, I'm not so sure about taping more large flat envelopes. I have two out there somewhere, and one ready to use, and I don't think I will tape any more of them. It takes a lot of tape in places that aren't going to be touched by labels or stamps.
There is probably an elegant solution that costs almost nothing, is simple to make, and results in a high quality, durable envelope that will last a lifetime. I just don't know what it is.
Reply to: #972225 by Maude
Feb 28, 2019 3:21pm
Board
I taped up three new flat mailers recently. I actually cut them down to a smaller size. This way the hosts are forced to fold my trading card sheets in thirds so the cards dont fall out of the sheet and become a lump in the envelope.
Reply to: #972226 by Linden Leaf
Mar 1, 2019 5:49am
Board
I taped up three new flat mailers recently. I actually cut them down to a smaller size. This way the hosts are forced to fold my trading card sheets in thirds so the cards dont fall out of the sheet and become a lump in the envelope.

I thought about doing this, but wouldn't it make the mailer too thick, especially if you have a lumpy card?
Reply to: #972243 by Rocklun
Mar 1, 2019 6:29am
Board
Flat mailers maximum thickness is 3/4 inch. That's really thick. I think most swaps are 9-12 participants - that's a big swap now. So even with a thick card it doesn't make the envelope exceed 3/4 inch. And I havent seen an embellished card for awhile. I think some card makers are more apt to embellish than others, like Raven and Housepitality hostess...but even so. Cards like theirs are so far and few between it hasn't been a problem.

But...

I just received one of frog's seasonal swaps back. That's about 21 cards. 1/3 if the cards fell out of the sleeves and were lumped at the bottom. With that many cards loose it now runs the risk of not being evenly distributed and over 3/4 inch thick. That's the only swap were I continue to think a bubbler would be safest.
Reply to: #972226 by Linden Leaf
Mar 1, 2019 8:11am
Board
This way the hosts are forced to fold my trading card sheets in thirds so the cards dont fall out of the sheet and become a lump in the envelope.

But you know they will fold the sheet backwards and the cards will still fall out!
Reply to: #972247 by RIclimber
Mar 1, 2019 9:07am
Board
But if the envelope is about 6 by 9 inch it's physically impossible for the cards to slide out all the way and form a lump.
Reply to: #972249 by Linden Leaf
Mar 1, 2019 12:17pm
Board
But does it remain bendable? If not, to any arbitrary clerk' s standard, it can possibly cost more, be sent back or whatnot.
Reply to: #972255 by Team Awesome Pants
Mar 1, 2019 12:35pm
Board
Yes. True. But it seems bendable enough. I have been seeing a lot of smaller manila envelopes sent to me as a host. So I decided to start doing it as a participant. And so far I haven't had any trouble as a host or as a participant.
Reply to: #972256 by Linden Leaf
Mar 1, 2019 1:04pm
Board
A small tracker, say 9 cards, usually can work in just 1/3 if a sheet with 3 cards per slot so no folding. Woodshed made 3 slot holders from 3 small zip bags (3”x4”) taped together for a 10x5 or a little larger envelope. The size limit on a letter size envelope is up to 6 1/8” tall and 11 1/2” wide. I have been cutting down some large flats to make the letter size. Plus extra ounces are only $.15 now instead of $.21. Lots of ways to save!
Reply to: #972257 by Kiss'n Karin
Mar 1, 2019 2:12pm
Board
I have been cutting down some large flats to make the letter size.

Just a reminder to keep in mind that if you are making it fit the “letter size” requirements, the total thickness cannot exceed 1/4”. The thickness for the larger “flats” is up to 3/4”.
Reply to: #972260 by Wise Wanderer
Mar 1, 2019 3:44pm
Board
Yes!!

So the flat mailers need to be AT LEAST 6 1/8 x 11 1/2 inches. Otherwise they ship as a letter
Reply to: #972263 by Linden Leaf
Mar 1, 2019 5:42pm
Board
I came across this site while googling dentritic painting for Beetle’s art tracker — it has some great postal pointers!

http://mailmesomeart.blogspot.com/p/postal-points.html