A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Thread: Unlisted boxes in logbook

Re: Unlisted boxes in logbook
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #972086 by SherlockMiles
Mar 17, 2019 9:53am
Board
did anyone get the green check marks back? I still don't see them when I look at someone else's log book.
I REALLY liked knowing if I had the same boxes....
I REALLY liked the green check marks.
who knew a simple check could make me so happy. After a big event like the Pi day event, it's really easy to know if I forgot a box or if I didn't know the name of a stamp by looking at someone else's log book.
Reply to: #972790 by DevilinDog
Mar 17, 2019 9:57am
Board
I don't have them. I agree- it is really helpful to have them.
Mar 17, 2019 4:57pm
Board
i dont have them either and it sucks. maybe we should email ryan
Mar 17, 2019 6:44pm
Board
I get the green checks on search pages. Do a search and put yourself as planter and see if they show.
Reply to: #972822 by Wronghat
Mar 18, 2019 6:37pm
Board
but I need them on other peoples logbooks
Reply to: #972862 by burning feet
Mar 18, 2019 7:35pm
Board
So do an advanced search. There is a place for putting in the name of finder. All the boxes found by that person will appear if the logbook isn't locked.
Reply to: #972867 by Wronghat
Mar 19, 2019 2:14am
Board
they come up in alphabetical order not newest found
Reply to: #972867 by Wronghat
Mar 19, 2019 9:46am
Board
So do an advanced search.

The advanced search option is frequently advocated as a basic logbook tool by people who don't live in a small area with thousands of boxes. There are so many search results in Connecticut when we do a search for just one town, or even one park, that the info we're looking for is buried.

Example: I just did a search of Berlin, CT (10 mile distance), including only active and unknown boxes and got 562 boxes listed. If I was trying to find the listing for a box I found a few years ago, then I would include all the retired boxes, which brings the number up to 820 boxes (there does not appear to be an option to search only the boxes I've found). There are certainly many more boxes on LBNA not listed on AQ, because that is common in Connecticut. And there may be some other boxes not listed on either website (eg the CT DEEP's State Forest boxes). So there are basically about 1000 boxes in a ten mile radius to sift through.

When the search results are potentially hundreds or thousands of boxes (excluding unlisted boxes), it's not as helpful as you might think. Just keep that in mind if you live in a location with fewer boxes where most of those boxes are listed on AQ. What works in your area might not work somewhere else.
Reply to: #972874 by burning feet
Mar 19, 2019 1:59pm
Board
they come up in alphabetical order not newest found

There is a slot on the advanced search page for choosing how to sort the letterboxes--including newest found.
Reply to: #972909 by Trailhead Tessie
Mar 19, 2019 3:37pm
Board
(there does not appear to be an option to search only the boxes I've found).

There is a spot on the advanced search page labeled Finder. Put your trailname in there.
Reply to: #972950 by Wronghat
Mar 19, 2019 5:03pm
Board
I never even saw that section before, and I've hunted multiple times for something that said "show only my finds." I was looking under the section that has "hide this" and "show only that." At any rate, when I do a search of boxes I've found within a 10 mile radius of Shelton, CT, I now "only" get 233 boxes to sift through, which doesn't include the LbNA boxes.
Reply to: #972959 by Trailhead Tessie
Mar 19, 2019 5:54pm
Board
It would really just be so much easier if there were check marks again. We had them before, I want them back.

I know CT is a bit unique in the vast number of boxes we have nearby listed on AQ, PLUS the state ones PLUS so many many boxes on LbNA, and this is a terrible problem to have, but STILL, it's not easy to figure out what boxes I have and what I want to look for!
I was in FL recently and there I found there are more boxes within a mile of where I live in CT then there are in three towns around where I was staying in FL. I just want the check marks back.
Reply to: #972960 by DevilinDog
Mar 19, 2019 6:02pm
Board
I just want the check marks back.

They are still there--try doing a search of your hometown and you'll see them on the results page.
Reply to: #972961 by Wronghat
Mar 19, 2019 6:25pm
Board
They are still there--try doing a search of your hometown and you'll see them on the results page.

I may have lost track but I believe the issue is seeing the checkmarks of boxes you have found in another person's logbook list of plants? You no longer see them there. It's true that this can be achieved with Advanced Search but to me (and apparently to a lot of other people) its just easier to look in the freaking logbook of the person.
Reply to: #972970 by MissMoon
Mar 19, 2019 6:29pm
Board
its just easier to look in the freaking logbook of the person.

But they're not there?
Reply to: #972973 by Wronghat
Mar 20, 2019 12:17pm
Board
But they're not there?

Nope. Not anymore.
Reply to: #972084 by SherlockMiles
Mar 21, 2019 4:52pm
Board
I do not have an unlisted finds dropdown choice
Reply to: #973098 by burning feet
Mar 21, 2019 5:05pm
Board
I do not have an unlisted finds dropdown choice

Be sure you're looking at the far left drop down menu. I find it counterintuitive. "Unlisted Finds" are not considered a type of "Find." The option is mixed in there with "carves", "exchanges", "Plants", etc. So you can't "Find" an unlisted box, but you CAN find a postal, LTC, or personal traveler. I still think it's weird those are even called "letterboxes" and still weirder that you're "finding" them.
Reply to: #973101 by Trailhead Tessie
Mar 21, 2019 5:18pm
Board
Got it thank you
Reply to: #973098 by burning feet
Mar 22, 2019 7:37am
Board
All this talk about where to log finds almost makes me glad I’m not boxing anymore........almost:)
Reply to: #973123 by Rubaduc
Mar 22, 2019 7:44am
Board
I don’t think the logging is the issue—it’s finding the logs later!
Reply to: #973124 by Kit Kat 61
Mar 22, 2019 4:13pm
Board
I don’t think the logging is the issue—it’s finding the logs later!

And the former gratification we had of seeing all our finds integrated together. ALL our finds.