A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: New Search Adventure

New Search Adventure
Board: State: New Mexico
Feb 20, 2019 12:37pm
Board
Dear LBer's,
I'm posting this for our daughter who has a new search adventure perfect for letterboxers.
Are you looking for a new search adventure?
My name is Vicky, and I live in the Phoenix area and am involved in high altitude weather projects. We recently had one of our balloons land about 6 miles south of Ramah, NM. If you are willing to venture out and find it (we have the exact coordinates) we can send you a prepaid FEDEX label for you to send it back to us, and we will send you a small reward for your time and effort. Please contact me at lostweatherballoon@gmail.com if you are interested, or if you know someone else who might be. I can send you the coordinates if you are interested. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Re: New Search Adventure
Reply to: #971829 by nedhead
Feb 20, 2019 1:22pm
Board
You know...I looked into weather balloon flying and tracking and retrieving a few years back. They fly with a GPS unit and some sort of transmitter (ham radio, cell phone, etc) to report their position and altitude. They can reach 100,000 feet and drift downwind for miles depending on the winds aloft.

I would think geocachers would be a better fit to track down something with just a set of coordinates. Also, the last reported position might not be where the payload landed. It is probably the last location received as the package descended below the horizon of whatever was receiving the data.

Still, it sounds like a great challenge and I wish I was closer so that I could participate in the hunt.

Good luck!
Reply to: #971832 by PI Joe
Feb 20, 2019 2:14pm
Board
Yes, the geocaching group may be interested, but we are LBers and have found 2 such balloons for our daughter and had a great time. They do satellite tracking so the gps location is within feet of where the balloon actually came down. One was near Corona, New Mexico and the other near Eminence, MO. Great fun!
Reply to: #971833 by nedhead
Feb 20, 2019 9:57pm
Board
...and the other near Eminence, MO.

From a Phoenix launchsite?!? Wow! The jet stream must have been cooking that day!

I would love to hear more about your future launches and if any of them head towards central Texas I would love to help track it down.