A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Thread: Trekking to Indy

Trekking to Indy
Board: State: Indiana
Feb 18, 2019 9:44am
Board
Hi all!

I'm going to be venturing down to Indy this Saturday to go to the Star Trek exhibit at the Children's Museum. (Raise your hand if you're not surprised.) I noticed that the museum is less than 2 miles from Crown Hill. I'd like to pick up a few boxes there if I can, but I'm not sure of the conditions - snow, ice, mud, etc. Any insight about that, and also any recommended boxes, would be appreciated.

TG
Re: Trekking to Indy
Reply to: #971718 by Trekkie Gal
Feb 18, 2019 6:55pm
Board
I have found just about everything you can find there, less a few newer ones. Hopefully you will have a map and box locations with sections plotted ahead of time. My boxes are retired now. I had to remove My Sweet Daddy after a tornado or strong winds took down the tall tree hiding it. Most of the boxes can be drive-by's. Haven't seen the forecast for Saturday, but take hiking boots or something to keep your feet dry.

I'm partial to my retired boxes, but one that stands out in my mind not to miss is the Paddle Your Own Canoe. I'lll look over the rest later.

From the Children's Museum, I would suggest entering the Cemetery from the 34th Street entrance. There are painted lines on the roads to follow if you get lost, provided that they aren't snow covered. If you don't have a map, you can pick one up in the main office (north entrance, off 38th St.)

You are likely to encounter deer at anytime, especially in the area around Dillinger.
Feb 19, 2019 4:25am
Board
Expect mud.

Also, from what I recall from several years ago, many of the boxes are pouches with folds, so the possibility of debris and bugs is big.

That said, there are some wonderful boxes at Crown Hill and it is a very neat cemetery.

Enjoy your weekend!
Feb 19, 2019 7:25am
Board
Oh, I love the children's museum! I have fond memories of going there long before it was as huge as it is now!

Someday, I hope to make it back up there.

Enjoy your day!
Reply to: #971764 by Mama Stork
Feb 19, 2019 8:50am
Board
Expect mud.

That's what I was afraid of. I will have to see which ones I can get without getting muddy.

TG
Feb 19, 2019 10:30am
Board
I’m headed to Indpls.next month, my hometown.
Look up Crown Hill Cemetery, any of them are fun to find.
I will be replacing my Benjamin Harrison plant at C.H.C. while I’m there. Have a fun time.
Feb 19, 2019 12:11pm
Board
Just looked up the forecast, and it's supposed to rain. That's a big nope from me! Guess I'll have to come down again some other time to hit Crown Hill.

TG
Reply to: #971786 by DeeCee
Feb 19, 2019 12:20pm
Board
I was going to suggest the Benjamin Harrison one, but I guess maybe not. :( It was a good reason to find the cemetery's high point. The view there is very nice. I think there are still a couple others in that general area.

I would second the Paddle Your Own Canoe. The Cindarella selfie is also particularly fun. There is a nice mix of boxes to be found. There are several that don't give the exact section where they are found so you have to work a little harder, but they're good finds if you manage to figure them out.
Reply to: #971792 by Trekkie Gal
Feb 19, 2019 3:35pm
Board
If you plan another trip, I may be available to serve as a navigator around town.
Feb 20, 2019 7:30am
Board
Just looked up the forecast, and it's supposed to rain.

Stay flexible--the rain could come earlier, later or not at all....

Love the crazy weather
Reply to: #971794 by Rocket Raider
Feb 20, 2019 9:47am
Board
I had a couple people tell me that the bushes where the Benjamin box was planted had Abeen cut way back. I know some of the groundskeeper there know the boxes are there throughout the cemetery and usually don’t bother them. Benjamin may have accidentally been cut in half or something. But I will replace it.
Thank you so much for going to recommend my box to someone, that makes me feel good that I put it in a place that you enjoyed.
Feb 20, 2019 10:57am
Board
Come down the 3rd week in March. We could meet up at CHC
Reply to: #971824 by DeeCee
Feb 21, 2019 11:05am
Board
Come down the 3rd week in March. We could meet up at CHC

I'll have to see what my schedule is like. I'll let you know.

TG