A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Logbook Tweak

Re: Logbook Tweak
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #971711 by Road Junkies
Feb 19, 2019 6:38am
Board
Not sure whether anything changed at AQ or my pages refreshed enough times, but suddenly this morning my logbook is numbered in Safari on the Mac. Yay!
Reply to: #971766 by Rocklun
Feb 21, 2019 3:55pm
Board
More on the logbook tweak...

I also appreciate this website and all it does to make letterboxing enjoyable and the way it helps me manage my plants and finds. It brings me joy.

I've been following this thread and hoped to have my questions answered about the logbook layout. But up to this point, I haven't seen anything that directly speaks to what's going on in my logbook. Like Rocklun mentioned, my finds do not seem to be listing in the order selected. If I choose TRADITIONAL-2019-NEWEST, my 5 latest finds don't show up at the top or anywhere in the list. I do have over 500 finds in 2019, so I'm guessing that's part of the problem.

I've gone back and looked at 2018 Finds (TRADITIONAL-2018-NEWEST). I'm seeing the same thing. 500 boxes are listed, but then random boxes will not be there. For example, on December 1, I found several more boxes than what show up in the listing.

And, lastly...the spreadsheet. Thank you. It is good to have a spot where all the boxes can be. For me, it would be helpful to have a little spreadsheet lesson (since I've used them minimally). The list downloads by box number, smallest to largest. How would I order the downloaded spreadsheet in date found order?

This is such a good website and I've spent many enjoyable hours solving mystery locations, planning trips, decoding ciphers, and digging deeper into the website to learn more about it. So it's a ton of fun and I appreciate it.
Reply to: #971905 by Angel Winks
Feb 21, 2019 10:04pm
Board
I wish it would have an "all" instead of traditional/hh/cootie/LTC/event/ect
When I am searching other people's logs (just attended event and I can't find AQ# for a find) they aren't listed even though their logbooks are public.... you have to choose type of stamp (and ironically for this event many of the stamps are showing up traditional instead of event so I am having trouble finding them!)
Feb 22, 2019 12:48am
Board
...the spreadsheet. Thank you. It is good to have a spot where all the boxes can be. For me, it would be helpful to have a little spreadsheet lesson (since I've used them minimally). The list downloads by box number, smallest to largest. How would I order the downloaded spreadsheet in date found order?

To change the order of the data, select “data” and then “sort.” Typically you can sort by any of the categories listed in the "header row."
Feb 22, 2019 12:56am
Board
I do have over 500 finds in 2019...

We're not even two full months into 2019 yet!
Reply to: #971919 by roo
Feb 22, 2019 5:51am
Board
Thank you, roo! That's all I needed. It worked perfectly.
Reply to: #971920 by Kirbert
Feb 22, 2019 5:54am
Board
I know...kind of crazy, right?

But I can only blame mudflinginfools and Teacup. I went to their Final Flight event in January and there were well over 400 traditional letterboxes. Wowza! Then letterboxing luck was with us...the weather was lovely and we were able to spend a couple of days looking for traditional finds in the area. It was a great way to start 2019, especially because we came home to the polar vortex and all the winter storms we've had in Michigan since.
Feb 22, 2019 6:05am
Board
I do have over 500 finds in 2019, so I'm guessing that's part of the problem.

Yes, that's definitely part of the problem. AQ just promises to return 500 boxes that match your search--it makes no guarantees about which 500 boxes.

The logbook works more like a search than an actual log.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971932 by Green Tortuga
Feb 22, 2019 6:09am
Board
Ryan, thank you. I was hoping there would be a way for me to fix that, but que sera sera.

This tells me I am going to get to know spreadsheets much better. Learning something new is almost never a bad thing. Thank you, again.
Feb 22, 2019 6:10am
Board
And, yes, the logbook is the actual log. No doubt about that.
Feb 22, 2019 7:59am
Board
The logbook works more like a search than an actual log.

It's not a search engine. It's supposed to be a logbook. You changed it back again? The last time I looked at it it had the drop down menu with newest first, etc. Now its this search stuff again???

It's my logbook. If I want it to automatically show newest or oldest first I should have that choice in a drop down menu the way it has always been. It's worked. No reason to fix what was not broken.

My first 10 finds are now unlisted finds, then #11 is a box from last May. I've got five year old finds on the first page. Gawd. I don't need five year old finds on the first page.

It was never meant to function as a search engine. It's a logbook.
Reply to: #971941 by MissMoon
Feb 22, 2019 8:15am
Board
But didn’t it always have that list broken up into pages, and if you wanted to look at, say, a box starting with S, or one you found in 2011, you’d have to figure out which page it was on....

I’m finding it workable. The only problem I’m having is that the counter seems too sensitive. If I stop for a moment while trying to set the date, it goes ahead and loads that page. It’s not waiting for me to press “Done.”
Feb 22, 2019 9:16am
Board
It was never meant to function as a search engine. It's a logbook.

That's what I kept saying, but everyone kept complaining that it wasn't searchable. So I made it a search.

At this point, I just recommend downloading your logbook and sort it however you see fit.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971943 by Sheba
Feb 22, 2019 9:16am
Board
If I stop for a moment while trying to set the date, it goes ahead and loads that page. It’s not waiting for me to press “Done.”

I had it stop changing the page automatically now, so hopefully this won't be a problem for you anymore.

-- Ryan
Feb 22, 2019 9:18am
Board
The only problem I’m having is that the counter seems too sensitive. If I stop for a moment while trying to set the date, it goes ahead and loads that page. It’s not waiting for me to press “Done.”

Oh, fixed now. Much better. Thanks!
Reply to: #971946 by Green Tortuga
Feb 22, 2019 9:45am
Board
Count me among those who liked the "logbook" like it was before these changes. I don't have a use for it the way it is now.
Feb 22, 2019 9:51am
Board
My first 10 finds are now unlisted finds

Oh my goodness. What happened? On February 14, 2019 I found 15 boxes but even if I put in today's date as the end and a month ago as the beginning it only lists 3 of the boxes I found. Can I have my "logbook" back, please!!
Reply to: #971950 by Memere
Feb 22, 2019 12:19pm
Board
Me too. Even the last iteration where you could select by the year was more functional than this. When I go to look at my logbook - still identified that way on the drop down menu - I just want to see my finds, sorted either by most recently found or by earliest found. I don't want to go there and have to spend too much time trying to figure out how to configure a search so as to get back what I had before.

I never had a problem with multiple pages of results - I just paged forward or took a stab at guessing where the box I was looking for would be in the list.

What I did use the logbook for was to make sure I'd recorded all my finds - I'd go through my physical logbook and compare it to the list of my finds. Especially if I find that the find count in my physical logbook doesn't match the count on AQ, I might have to page through several pages of finds, sorted by newest to oldest finds, in order to find the one that I left out. (I've had to do this several times over the years.) Now I have to figure out how to properly configure a search to look for something when I might not know the date. Much clunkier.
Reply to: #971949 by Sheba
Feb 22, 2019 1:25pm
Board
....aaand now it’s gone. Dang.

Ok, all y’all with the ten million finds that want them all listed on the same page in consecutive order... how long does it take for that page to load for you now? And how long does it take to scroll down to find #3,946? or the ones that start with M???
Reply to: #971963 by Sheba
Feb 22, 2019 2:14pm
Board
Ok, all y’all with the ten million finds that want them all listed on the same page in consecutive order... how long does it take for that page to load for you now? And how long does it take to scroll down to find #3,946? or the ones that start with M???

Speaking only for myself, I'm very happy about the way my logbook displays now! I really disliked not being able to list Newest/All and have it work the way I expected it to work.

Thanks, Ryan!!
Reply to: #971951 by Ele
Feb 22, 2019 2:28pm
Board
Can I have my "logbook" back, please!

Thanks for my logbook back. I do have to ask though can it also include the unlisted finds which would include boxes such as those listed on LBNA but not listed on Atlas Quest? Those are not included now.
Reply to: #971966 by Rocklun
Feb 22, 2019 2:28pm
Board
What do you do with your logbook that you can do better having all of your finds listed on the same really long page?
Feb 22, 2019 2:39pm
Board
That's what I kept saying, but everyone kept complaining that it wasn't searchable. So I made it a search.

At this point, I just recommend downloading your logbook and sort it however you see fit.

-- Ryan

You blinked. :(
Feb 22, 2019 2:40pm
Board
But didn’t it always have that list broken up into pages, and if you wanted to look at, say, a box starting with S, or one you found in 2011, you’d have to figure out which page it was on...

I didn't find that to be a big deal.
Feb 22, 2019 2:43pm
Board

Does this mean there will be a choice? I loved the "searchable". It takes 17 seconds for my logbook to show the original way. Maybe a new premium perk?

phynstar
Feb 22, 2019 2:51pm
Board

I never asked for all the finds to be on one long page the way it seems to be now. I just wanted it back the way it was before. That was numbered pages that for me anyway loaded just fine. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think anyone asked for one long page. We just asked that it be returned to the way it was before the update.
Feb 22, 2019 3:32pm
Board
half a second with control F
Reply to: #971968 by Ele
Feb 22, 2019 4:48pm
Board
Those are not included now

Ah, I see they have their own page now.
Reply to: #971984 by Wry Me
Feb 22, 2019 4:55pm
Board
Don’t think I have a control F on my phone...
Reply to: #971995 by Sheba
Feb 22, 2019 5:06pm
Board
Do you have a 'droid? It so, in the 3-dot menu, which I don't know the name of, you can ask it "find in page." Same-o. If not, rats.