About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Host gifts

Host gifts
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Feb 17, 2019 4:38pm
Board
I just wanted to remind people that when you join an LTC tracker, although not necessary, a host(ess) gift is always a nice touch.
Re: Host gifts
Reply to: #971661 by LROSEM
Feb 17, 2019 7:10pm
Board
I look at it as a two-way thing. The host tends to host a theme that she/he likes. And the participants join because they either like the theme or they like the hosts and would like to support that host by filling the tracker. If it wasn't for the participants there would be no host. And likewise if there was no host there would be no participants. It's kind of like what came first, the chicken or egg?

So...a participant gift is always a nice touch... ;-)
Feb 17, 2019 8:22pm
Board
a host(ess) gift is always a nice touch

Just to clarify for anyone new-ish to LTC trackers, hostess gifts do NOT include wine, homemade cakes or pastries, vases of flowers, or the like :-) Participants sometimes include 1 or 2 LTC’s, quisps, etc. from their own stash of extras, or maybe a few extra postage stamps for the host to use on future trackers. It’s a nice gesture used to thank the host, but is always optional.
In reverse, some hosts will include an extra LTC of their own, in the participants’ envelopes when they return the tracker cards. Again, it’s optional, a nice gesture to thank the participants in your tracker.
When I first started making cards, I didn’t have a “stash” to use for gifts, so I would send a few extra postage stamps and a “thank you for hosting” note. When I have hosted, I’ve made two cards in the theme, one for my tracker card, and a second as a bonus for my participants.
Feb 17, 2019 11:21pm
Board
An example please, of what would be an appropriate gift?
Reply to: #971678 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 18, 2019 6:43am
Board
Just to clarify for anyone new-ish to LTC trackers, hostess gifts do NOT include wine, homemade cakes or pastries, vases of flowers, or the like

I won't turn those away though. ;)
Reply to: #971682 by InkTap
Feb 18, 2019 6:56am
Board

More LTCs or a quisp.
Reply to: #971678 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 18, 2019 6:57am
Board
When I first started making cards, I didn’t have a “stash” to use for gifts, so I would send a few extra postage stamps and a “thank you for hosting” note.

I always send one or more extra LTCs/quisps to the host as a thank you for hosting. However, there's one frequent host who is in pretty much every swap I'm in, so I rarely have any extra cards to send her. So she gets postage. :^)
Reply to: #971682 by InkTap
Feb 18, 2019 6:57am
Board

Speaking for myself, I’d say small denominations... nothing larger than, say, 20s.

😎😉

Kidding aside, we always appreciate quisps or past cards, inchies ot twinchies. Not obligatory of course but a nice bonus if it happens.
Reply to: #971673 by Linden Leaf
Feb 18, 2019 7:24am
Board
I was just thinking about this and how the last couple of swaps I did with you, I sent an extra card or two, but you did not log the extras. Do you add the extras to your gifts for newbie stash? Are you not interested in logging cards that aren’t in swaps for some reason? Do you not want extras??
Reply to: #971705 by hartwolfzell
Feb 18, 2019 8:03am
Board
Which cards? Normally I log the cards that are Hostess gifts after the swap is sorted. And I guess there are times that I don't log the cards at all? I went looking at the cards that I have in my book that are yours that I might not have logged. There's the 3D one that was given to me last year I think? And then the cat Newk card is for a swap that has yet to be sorted. Are there more? Sigh...Because I tried to keep up on logging cards and I'm sorry to have missed more!!

But to answer your questions: I love extras. I try to log cards that have been given to me. I think leaving comments on cards is important. I don't normally add gifted cards or any cards that are given/swapped to me to the Newbie stash unless for some odd reason they aren't a subject matter that enjoy. If I add cards to the Newbie stash it's normally because I have an extra one.
Reply to: #971710 by Linden Leaf
Feb 18, 2019 8:26am
Board
OK, thanks! I guess it was just those two cards. I haven't done many swaps lately. I super appreciate that you leave such thoughtful comments for each card! I love getting extras when I host. Hopefully I can host another swap again soon. Thanks!!
Reply to: #971699 by photopam
Feb 18, 2019 8:36am
Board
and gift cards are flat and light weight...just sayin. ;)
Reply to: #971702 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 18, 2019 8:39am
Board
I'd be super happy with dog-eared corners and the trail name on the envelope and cards. I am a little sad when I pull off the mailing label and there is no surprise underneath.
:^(
sniffle, sniffle
Reply to: #971710 by Linden Leaf
Feb 18, 2019 8:41am
Board
I don't log cards in a timely fashion but when I do, I make a genuine comment about each card 95% of time.
Reply to: #971715 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 18, 2019 10:17am
Board
Me too. It is gift enough to recieve easy envelopes!

I've been missing quisps under labels. This past week I carved over 20 new quisp stamps. Get ready!!
Feb 18, 2019 12:01pm
Board
I just wanted to remind people that when you join an LTC tracker, although not necessary, a host(ess) gift is always a nice touch

I used to do artists card swaps, and the hosts almost always noted in their swap rules that gifts were appreciated (although optional).

So when I first started doing LTCs, I sent hostess gifts a few times but got comments like “What is this?” and “Why did you send me this?”, so I felt like I had done something inappropriate (I will admit that I did not send cards, I sent paper samples, some plastic sleeves, and small craft items because I rarely make extra LTCs — I have a hard enough time making 9 or 12 cards).

This is the first time I have heard that LTC swap hosts expect gifts — I am surprised and embarrassed that I have not been including gifts when I join a swap :-(

So I would like to suggest that when listing a tracker, hosts state that gifts are appreciated — how else are newbies supposed to know these things??
Reply to: #971726 by Yaateeh
Feb 18, 2019 1:04pm
Board
Dont be embarrassed. Gifts are NOT expected. If they were then they wouldn't be gifts or little surprises.

Out of a 12-18 participant swap, on average, I will have 0-2 participants send an extra ltc. It is by no means a norm.

I guess if hosts start posting the fact that they need a gift then chances are I'm not going to join that swap. All I expect from my participants is that they get the cards to me on time and make their return envelopes according to the rule.
Feb 18, 2019 1:17pm
Board
I haven't hosted in quite some time. I remember when I started hosting that close to half of participants would send an extra LTC or so. It was fun to get surprises.

I had heard from a couple people that are still hosting that they weren't getting any extras. I thought that was sad. When I used to host, I would also send extras out when returning the envelopes too. When I didn't have any extra cards for people, I assumed that was okay too.
Reply to: #971726 by Yaateeh
Feb 18, 2019 10:27pm
Board
This is the first time I have heard that LTC swap hosts expect gifts...

The OP never suggested that hosts expect gifts. I certainly never do. Only that it’s a nice gesture to show the host you appreciate their efforts in hosting.

We have hosted trackers where we only received the cards required and it never once dawned on me that no one sent gifts.

It’s a small courtesy, nothing more. I certainly would never do anything as gauche as suggesting I expected anything more than is normally sent in a themed tracker exchange in the description.

Just my two cents worth.
Reply to: #971756 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 19, 2019 9:58am
Board
I agree. I don't expect anything and I do appreciate and am tickled by little gifts of appreciation. If I recall correctly, LTC quisps were intended to encourage reusable mailers. What a treat to peel off the mailing label to find a little treasure underneath. Quisps are great for using up small pieces of carving material too. So bring on the quisps!
Reply to: #971700 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 19, 2019 4:33pm
Board
what size are quisps? I looked in the glossary and it didn't state.
Reply to: #971805 by condo
Feb 19, 2019 4:37pm
Board
I think they are smaller than a standard LTC and they can be whatever shape you want. That's what makes them super special :-)
Reply to: #971715 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 19, 2019 6:30pm
Board
I put quisps under the labels on several LTC trades I did, but the quisps were never logged. So I stopped.
Reply to: #971805 by condo
Feb 19, 2019 6:44pm
Board
Most of the ones I've seen are less than an inch square. Sometimes really tiny, but usually just smaller than trading card size.
Reply to: #971809 by Procyon
Feb 19, 2019 6:52pm
Board
I put quisps under the labels on several LTC trades I did, but the quisps were never logged. So I stopped.

Were these re-usable (taped) envelopes where the host removes her address and your's is underneath? If not, they may not have realized there could be a fun surprise underneath. Also, even if the quisp is very small, write the AQ # on the back of it, to help the person find it and log it.
Reply to: #971811 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 19, 2019 7:11pm
Board
Answering for myself, yes under the reusable label. It’s quite a surprise to rip off the label and have presents fall out!!! Good times. 😄
Reply to: #971721 by Linden Leaf
Feb 20, 2019 6:35am
Board
I did my first inchie/quisps, but they weren't under the label. It was a bonus surprise for my players. :)

I was going to make another one for a different tracker, but I think my cat got ahold of the stamp. It is missing...
Feb 20, 2019 7:52am
Board
Back when I used bubble mailers I'd always include an extra card or something. The basic postage covered an extra ounce that was being wasted anyway and thickness didn't matter. Now that a bubble mailer costs $4 MORE than a flat mailer, I've switched over and I'm limited by weight and thickness/bumpy. I try to remember to add an extra few cards when I can.
Reply to: #971811 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 20, 2019 6:28pm
Board
They were the re-usable kind and I did have the AQ number on the back. Which is why it was confusing as to why they were not acknowledged nor recorded.
Feb 22, 2019 10:13am
Board
Well crap! I have failed you! But now I shall begin my quisping process and create some fun little surprises for all you host/hostesses LOL I apologize for not being more on the ball!

As for those who have sent those fun little random extras, I do greatly appreciate it! And it brings a smile to me always!

So now, Hello Pinterest, what can we carve!!