A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Letterboxing Class?

Re: Letterboxing Class?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #971447 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 11:39am
Board
I have taught a few letterboxing classes to girl scout troops and college students - we always start by talking about some of the very important concepts - including respect for nature, respect for personal property, safety, secrecy, etc. It's gone well.

You could start there - let them know that if letterboxes are not discreet/respectful, this awesome adventure could die out. Ask them how they would feel if they worked really hard on a beautiful stamp and then because someone was lazy and didn't properly hide it, someone mistook it for trash and tossed it out.

Overall - the people interested in coming to a workshop on letterboxing will understand the reasons to stress these important points.

Spread the passion and pass on letterboxing traditions! New boxers = new boxes for us all!
Reply to: #971450 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Feb 14, 2019 11:46am
Board
Thank you for sharing your feedback on the topic. Maybe I am a bit nervous about losing boxes that I am just planting, but what can I do, right?

I definitely agree with that last statement. Also, now that we are back at it, I am reminded that we were the main people planting around here. It would be nice to have some more folks planting around here so that we can hunt, too, without having to go far. 😉 LOL.
Feb 14, 2019 11:59am
Board
Have you ever done a class to share the hobby in an attempt to grow participation in your area?

I did a presentation once (at LBCon, actually), about The History Of Letterboxing. I'd offer to let you have it, but it burned up in a freak accident.
Feb 14, 2019 1:08pm
Board
We try to offer classes in our area at least twice a year. Our letterboxing community has expanded and the number of letterboxes has increased.

Our sessions introduce, demonstrate, and allow participants to follow clues to time sensitive boxes planted for the event. We stress proper steps but then it is up to the participants to register on AQ, print clues, and find boxes. I would say that about 5% of the folks who attend our sessions get registered and actually go letterboxing for longer than a year. Of those, they have jumped in with both feet. (On a side note, people who do not decide to letterbox know what a letterbox looks like replace them if found.)

When I began letterboxing just 6 years ago there were 35 letterboxes within a 30 mile radius of my house. Today there are over 400 - many of which we planted for events. In order to continue this wonderful fun, we must try to build it up. We should invite new letterboxers to hike with us and demonstrate how to follow clues, not make social trails, do box maintenance, replace a box and cover well, and how to record finds. We must encourage them to plant boxes. Those in our group try to plant a new box each season.

In short, we feel that sessions for introducing letterboxing is beneficial. We hold sessions at libraries and at our forest preserve. They help us to promote the sessions. I would be very happy to share my outline with you.

TeachJR
Reply to: #971452 by wassamatta u
Feb 14, 2019 2:54pm
Board
freak accident

while it was surprising, verging on shocking
Wiktionary
freak accident(Noun)
An incident, especially one that is harmful, occurring under highly unusual and unlikely circumstances.

there was nothing unlikely about the circumstances given who was the Keynote speaker.
Feb 14, 2019 7:38pm
Board
Might talk with MO UR4Me as she as taught many classes in the STL area.
Feb 22, 2019 11:57am
Board
I did an Introduction to Letterboxing class at my library as part of a library event, so after the presentation, everyone could try their hand at it. Send me a message if you want the powerpoint!