About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Lock & Locks or...?

Lock & Locks or...?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Feb 13, 2019 11:00am
Board
Does anybody remember when we could buy LnLs directly from the company in bulk for around $1.25 each? Wow, they are expensive now. Does anybody know a more affordable outlet for buying LnLs, or have you discovered a container that is just as water tight and more coat effective?
Re: Lock & Locks or...?
Reply to: #971406 by RDHG
Feb 13, 2019 11:44am
Board
I use Freshness Keepers from Ocean State Job Lot, a LnL knockoff.

Warrior Woman
frugal
Reply to: #971407 by Warrior Woman
Feb 13, 2019 12:03pm
Board
sadly, of the three OSJL's I recently went to here in MA (NW of Boston), only one still had any FK's, and it looked like they were phasing them out at that.

One of the stores instead was selling a box called 'think Fresh' instead... it markets with a 'silicone seal' on the label, but the flaps lift UP, not DOWN.

I hope they work as well as the FKs, cuz the FKs I've had in the field have held up well for years now.
Reply to: #971407 by Warrior Woman
Feb 13, 2019 1:15pm
Board
Ah, we do not have those stores in North Carolina. Thank you for the tip, though. I did try Google to no avail.
Feb 13, 2019 5:39pm
Board
If you have a Dollar Tree near any of you, we have found containers that are very hard plastic with flip up clasps. They sell in packages of 2 (and sometimes 3) for $1. This price of 2 for $1 makes them very affordable and they are very durable. Usually they are in their seasonal area and not where most of the Tupperware knock offs are.
Reply to: #971421 by TeachJR
Feb 13, 2019 9:22pm
Board
If you have a Dollar Tree near any of you, we have found containers that are very hard plastic with flip up clasps.

Bought a bunch of those, had to throw them out. The seal is made of something that rots to pieces within a couple of years in the wild.
Feb 14, 2019 1:23am
Board
I searched and found that someone recommended Sistema, which seems inexpensive. Have any of you tried them, and did they hold up to moisture?
Reply to: #971434 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 4:13am
Board
I live in the desert so can’t really answer to moisture question. However, sistema has a real hinge going in its favor instead of the creased flap that lnl’s had and break quickly (in letterbox time). I know Kurious Jo and woodaug from Washington state have gone to sistema.
Feb 14, 2019 5:00am
Board
We've had decent success with Sistema here in Florida. I pick them up at TJMaxx for $1.99 for the small 2 flap container. Is the perfect size for a single backed stamp and a logbook.
I wash the containers in soap and water a couple of times and they accept a good spray coat of paint fairly well except for the clasps which inevitably the paint will peel and crack off.
Reply to: #971440 by Three FLAmigo's
Feb 14, 2019 5:52am
Board
Seconding Sistema. We get ours at Target. We’ve had some that have been out for years and are still going strong.

https://tinyurl.com/yxehc769
Reply to: #971439 by Baqash
Feb 14, 2019 6:36am
Board
Maybe I will try some Sistema locally so that I can keep an eye on them with the spring rains.
Reply to: #971443 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 10:46am
Board
If you have a Home Goods in your area, that's a good place to look for Sistema containers, as well as other similar lesser known brands that might work. There's generally a place in the kitchenware area that has a jumble of plastic storage containers for sale, and sometimes you can get good deals on sets of multiples.

For those of you who have the Korean grocery store H-Mart in their area, they also carry Lock N Lock type containers at pretty good prices. I've put some of those in the field and so far so good. I can't name the specific brand because the labels are in Korean which I can't read, unfortunately.
Feb 14, 2019 12:29pm
Board
I seem to be the exception re: Sistema. I've run across several in UT that were wet inside. We are high desert, but still have moisture problems due to lots of snow and flash-flooding spring rains. Maybe those wet Sistemas were hidden in places that have flooding; I don't remember specifically. However I have planted a few Sistemas as my own boxes and don't recall problems, but then I've learned from failure the fine art of hiding for the most part. I think I got my Sistemas at World Market. I say give them a try locally and be careful to hide them where moisture will not be a problem.
Feb 14, 2019 7:44pm
Board
I found some nice small boxes by a brand called Sistema. They are about $4 for 3 at Walmart:
https://sistemaplastics.com/products/klip-it-packs/200ml-three-pack
Feb 14, 2019 7:47pm
Board
I have some Sistema boxes but I haven't had them out long enough to see how well they hold up. They seem like they are pretty good.
Feb 14, 2019 8:24pm
Board
I pick up LnLs at yard sales. Church sales are the best, dozens are normally donated and they get marked around 25 cents each! All different sizes, too.
Feb 18, 2019 6:04am
Board
I buy them on Amazon. Still a little pricey, but can find bulk sets that bring the price down a little compared to buying singles.
Reply to: #971691 by BaliWho
Feb 18, 2019 6:07am
Board
Thank you, BaliWho. I have been looking at Amazon but have not found a really good deal yet. I will keep looking! :D