A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: How long does it take you?

Re: How long does it take you?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #971322 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 1:27am
Board
I don’t really time myself, because I feel that if I do then it would depress me and maybe make it harder to find motivation to start. I just kind of wait for an open night when my health is good enough, enjoy the process, and binge-carve until I am done. It has given me many opportunites to see the sun rise! :P I am working on a series right now that has messed up my sleep schedule. Based on that, I think the stamps have been about 9hrs from when I start the transferring process to end. I tend to not take breaks and hyperfocus (the one good symptom of ADHD).

My transferring method is slow (pencil on tracing, rub, go over with fine marker, wash pencil off, mustard ink), but I feel it gives me better flexibility on customizations, etc. I use the pink stuff, so that is quicker from what I am reading here. I am mostly a knife carver, but use gouges for cetain thing and find many of my stamps now use both (but in that case it just tends to be use of the 1V Miniturized for shading). So really, there are ways to speed up my carving, but the #11 knife gives me the results I want for what I am going for. I keep trying to do gouges where I can, but I don’t like them for the insides of corners and such. Also, I prefer to feel like a surgeon. ;)
Reply to: #971435 by AlishaMisha
Feb 14, 2019 1:57am
Board
What is mustard ink?

I only know how to use gouges. When you use a knife, do you cut from multiple angles to get the rubber out?
Reply to: #971436 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 2:17am
Board
Sorry, I was being short with my wording. I use Staz-on in the color of mustard to seal my marker lines in and see what I am carving away. I press my stamp onto a paper towel several times to get the excess off.

Yeah, so say you are looking at the rubber from the thin side. Imagine the * is a black line or something. Another words, I am not carving that part away. I angle my knife like this on each side of it to give the black line better structure (or “supporting rubber”): /*\ Then I go in again at another angle to get the rubber out, so like this: \ /*\ / I also stab the loose rubber with the tip of the knife to lift it out of the stamp and use my pinky to flick it off into a small “lock-n-lock” type container I keep (to make less mess).

Did any of that make sense or was it completely confusing?