Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: How long does it take you?

by PI JoeProfileContactLogbookNote
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
About an hour per square inch of rubber.
by MaudeProfileContactLogbookNote
I would guess it's about a square inch an hour, but I can only carve for about 3 hours before I start making mistakes. I can lengthen that by another hour if I alternate complex tiny details areas with larger ones, or clean up along the edges of the st...
by PiggyJauntProfileContactLogbookNote
I never carve anything all that elaborate, so something like a cartoon character, two inch by two inch size? Probably 20 mins at most.
by LROSEMProfileContactLogbookNote
I consider myself fairly fast at carving. I think material and tools make for a huge difference in how long carving takes me. Oz and a miniaturized staedtler can take me upwards of 4 hours for a LTC sized stamp of average detail. Pink and a speedball #...
by KirbertProfileContactLogbookNote
I think that may be one of the things that changes with experience. When you're new at carving, the tendency is not to spend too long on a carve. Not because it's not worth it, but more because you're worried you're gonna mess it up. The idea of put...
by greenmountainhikerProfileContactLogbookNote
I agree with what others said. Mostly for me, carving is about focus and the question may be more about how long I can sustain that focus. The more detailed the carving, the more difficult and the longer I have to be focused. Generally, I can last abo...
by DarkZen and Evil Cow PieProfileContactLogbookNote
1-3 hours for each LTC sized stamp, depending on the complexity.
by RDHGProfileContactLogbookNote
Thank you for your input, Everyone. I carved my first stamp in a few years, and I felt like it took me a long time. Based on your feedback, maybe it did not take that long. However, it is much bigger than I planned. No worries. I simply need more...
by Oberon_KenobiProfileContactLogbookNote
I tend to use harder material for the "best" stamps, and softer stuff for the smaller, simpler ones. I use the soft material for stamps that have large inked areas. I use hard material for when there are few inked areas.
The idea of putting a couple of hours into a silly little piece of rubber only to accidentally hack a key piece out of it or turn a letter around backwards or some such just feels like it's not worth the risk. I've been able to glue in a piece that I s...
1-3 hours for each LTC sized stamp, depending on the complexity. That's probably about right for me too. It definitely depends on complexity. My longest carve (to that point) is of a lighthouse, Minot's Ledge Light. It must have taken at least 10 ho...
by FORAYCHProfileContactLogbookNote
About how long on average does it take you to carve one stamp? Probably too long! :) I most likely am in the slower category of carvers, but I have done detailed inchies in an hour and 5" x 5" stamps that took over 40+ hours. I probably am slower b...
by KirbertProfileContactLogbookNote
Also note: Some of us are gouge carvers and some of us are hobby knife carvers. Hobby knife carving generally takes longer than gouge carving. In fact, we once had a post where someone suggested that more people should learn how to gouge carve becau...
by Only DreamingProfileContactLogbookNote
For me, it really depends on the stamp.. if it's a fairly simple stamp, I usually can finish in an hour or so.. any longer and I usually stop for a while.. (I've broken a couple of fingers in the past) because I'll start making multiple mistakes if I d...
by DarkZen and Evil Cow PieProfileContactLogbookNote
Wait, what!? You’ve broken fingers carving stamps? 🙀
by DawgdokProfileContactLogbookNote
That’s a tricky question to answer. If I’m doing a simple carve such as a pictograph or one of my lighthouse stamps, I can whip through one of those in 10-20 minutes. If I’m doing an intricate one or anything with lettering, then everything is slowed d...
by Fish Below The IceProfileContactLogbookNote
... they'd end up carving more stamps and hence we'd have more boxes to hunt! You misspelled "hence have a taller pile of Lock-and-Locks that need to be planted."
by AlishaMishaProfileContactLogbookNote
I don’t really time myself, because I feel that if I do then it would depress me and maybe make it harder to find motivation to start. I just kind of wait for an open night when my health is good enough, enjoy the process, and binge-carve until I am do...
by RDHGProfileContactLogbookNote
What is mustard ink? I only know how to use gouges. When you use a knife, do you cut from multiple angles to get the rubber out?
by AlishaMishaProfileContactLogbookNote
Sorry, I was being short with my wording. I use Staz-on in the color of mustard to seal my marker lines in and see what I am carving away. I press my stamp onto a paper towel several times to get the excess off. Yeah, so say you are looking at the rub...