About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Thread: Hovering on a message Subject

Hovering on a message Subject
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Feb 5, 2019 3:30pm
Board
I can't hover to see if I want to open the message.
Is it me, my browser or maybe something else?
Re: Hovering on a message Subject
Reply to: #971088 by Grrly Girl
Feb 5, 2019 4:13pm
Board
I can't hover to see if I want to open the message.

I'm not clear about where you're referring to. Are you viewing the "simple" page? It's the "summary" page that displays the summaries.

Also... if you use the simple or summary pages a lot, you should know that clicking the title to read the message just changes you to the "expanded" page which might be the reason things weren't "sticking" like you thought they were.

The titles in widgets on My Page should show summaries if you hover them.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971092 by Green Tortuga
Feb 5, 2019 4:28pm
Board
I've always used Simple to see just the subject lines.
I could hover on the subject and see the first one or two lines of the message.

In Expanded I could also hover on the Reply to: (message number) and see one or two lines of the message which is being replied to.

Now, in Simple, when I hover on the subject nothing happens.

I can still hover and see the message at Reply to:

clear as mud?

edit add - will all message board message replies go to mailbox?
they are now. they didn't before.
nighty night, bedtime.
Reply to: #971094 by Grrly Girl
Feb 5, 2019 4:38pm
Board
Ah... I didn't realize the simple view used to show a summary before. (I have to admit--I almost never use anything but the expanded view and seriously considered dropping the simple and summary views completely.)

I added the summary back, but I'm not sure this is the best way to scan through posts. The links don't go to an individual post anymore (I did retire that page!), but rather it just expands the messages instead. I know some new users got into those pages and started surfing the message boards one message at a time--horribly slow and annoying--so I wanted to get rid of that page. So if there is a message you're interested in and "expand" it, you'll get that message.... along with all the replies and stuff that came after it.

It's probably faster and easier in the long run just to leave the page in the "expanded" mode and scroll through the posts just scanning the ones that don't interest one. I created the simple and summary pages more to look for a specific post that you already know about rather to scan through posts. There are options available like favorite boards and watched threads to help scan through posts that are of most interest to you more efficiently, but the simple and summary views were never really designed for scanning new messages.

If you can make it work, that's great, but it might be more difficult to use it like that now that the links don't go to a specific post anymore and pull up a page of posts instead and changes your view to the 'expanded' view.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971094 by Grrly Girl
Feb 5, 2019 4:40pm
Board
will all message board message replies go to mailbox?

Only if you want them to. =)

Message board preferences

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971097 by Green Tortuga
Feb 6, 2019 3:36am
Board
Curious - before the update messages didn't go to my mail.
After the update they did.
I've gone back and changed the setting back to NOT.

Hovering on Simple is back.

Edit add:
I always want Simple view.
I skip 90% of messages available.
5% - hover to see maybe I'll want to read more.
5% - open to see what it says. Includes messages by people I know, threads I've been following, people I routinely find interesting.

I use the Thread button a lot. Often to remind myself of what was said by someone or when something was said.
No point adding another comment that just reiterates what someone else already said.
I use the Funny, Interesting, etc. buttons for that.