Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Welcome to the Current Big Update!

Re: Welcome to the Current Big Update!
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #971293 by Kelsung
Feb 10, 2019 5:33pm
Board
Here’s a minor odd change: when clicking an old message on “Wassa’s random daily funnies” it used to go to just that message, but now it goes to the whole thread with that message first.

That's logical.... Sometimes the replies are even funnier than the original funny message! Or you want to go back and read the thread that generated the funny message. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971307 by Green Tortuga
Feb 11, 2019 11:04am
Board
Really random: Ryan - why is your Green Tortuga signature image upside down? Just curious if that is symbolic?
Reply to: #971326 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Feb 11, 2019 12:29pm
Board
It got stuck that way during his Australia trip.
update weirdness?
Reply to: #971249 by Green Tortuga
Feb 11, 2019 4:26pm
Board
I tried selecting a time in a new event I wanted to list and it forced me to use military time for the start time, which then reverted to a 12-hour time. The end time was on a 12-hour, if I remember correctly. Then it didn't like the time I had, so I had to choose from the "closest" time, and it made me list it for 7 minutes after the hour & half hour, respectively. Wonder if anyone noticed.

I sure hope people don't arrive early. I need that 7 minutes to make a run on the dessert cart.
Re: update weirdness?
Reply to: #971341 by Wry Me
Feb 11, 2019 5:21pm
Board
I don't really have much control over the time widget--I just tell the browser "get the start and end times" and leave it to the browser to do it.

But I took a look at it on my machine and I have to admit, it's actually really weird and I'm not sure why. The time was being auto set to the current time when you started created a box, but (with my browser) it seems to require that the seconds not change. If you started creating a listing at 11 seconds after the minute, it required you to use a time that was 11 seconds after the minute.

Presumably, your browser was doing the same thing--except it required a specific minute of the hour while my browser seemed to allow any minute of the hour.

But it's all really weird because there's nothing in the code that tells the browser it should restrict the times allowed at all, and I'm completely baffled why it would.

In the meantime, I did fix the problem where it was defaulting to the current time and now it defaults to the 10:00:00am start time and the 6:00:00pm end time which should help. On my browser, it just requires the seconds to be :00--but that's what most people probably want and use anyhow. If your browser is only allowing a time in half-hour increments, you can presumably change start times to something on the half hour or full hour which is probably sufficient for the vast majority of events.

I'll need to look into this more. Maybe I should just stop letting the browser ask for the time, but I do like offloading work to the browser when I can. You'd think browsers would work in an expected format!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971052 by Green Tortuga
Feb 16, 2019 6:24am
Board
Don’t know if it’s a feature of this update or if I just hadn’t noticed it until now... but when I try to look at my finds alphabetically, I can only see the first 500. How do I access the back half of the alphabet?
Reply to: #971543 by Sheba
Feb 16, 2019 7:32am
Board
when I try to look at my finds alphabetically, I can only see the first 500. How do I access the back half of the alphabet?

Run a search to narrow down your search results.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971555 by Green Tortuga
Feb 16, 2019 7:45am
Board
Isn't is better to be able to just open your logbook and look at it?
Reply to: #971557 by Mim
Feb 16, 2019 8:20am
Board
Isn't is better to be able to just open your logbook and look at it?

Your logbook is a search. Literally, the exact same code that runs a search for all of your boxes is the same code that runs your online logbook. The only difference was that in your logbook, it didn't group multiple boxes from the same series into a single listing and it didn't put a limit on the number of matching results.

To me, it sounds like you're arguing that the back side of a coin is better than the front side of the coin. Maybe you're right.... but it's still the same coin.

This update is about keeping AQ running fast. It's why I added limits to regular searches years ago, and it's why I've had to add limits to the logbook searches.

With your 13,000+ finds, your logbook would have taken over 10 seconds to load a page. Did you not notice that? Then if you wanted to switch to page 2 of the search results, it would take another 10+ seconds to load. Just to scroll through your entire logbook, one page at time, would have taken--at an absolute minimum--a whopping 1,300+ seconds. Over 20 minutes!

So no, I think a search is better if you're looking for a specific box. As it is now, you can scroll through your entire logbook, one year at a time, in a mere 3 seconds. That's what this update did--it made it possible for you to scroll through your entire finds list in your logbook in 3 seconds (if you can click that fast) rather than over 20 minutes.

If it's a specific box that you recorded recently, you can still use your logbook to look up the newest finds. If it's such an old find that you don't remember exactly what year you found it, I'd recommend the advanced search page. It still would likely be faster than scrolling through your logbook until you manged to hit upon the right page.

-- Ryan
Feb 25, 2019 8:12pm
Board
i don't know if this is a glitch or not but thought i would throw it out here. when i go to print a clue i use the single-column layout. only now it is not switching to single-column, stays on double. i have tried refreshing to no avail.

smile
Feb 26, 2019 3:42am
Board
On my iPhone. The bottom menu bar resized to width of message texts or vice versa. Now in horizontal mode they are the same but in vertical mode I have to scroll to the right end of the menus bar to use this buttons
Reply to: #972157 by uneksia
Apr 17, 2019 7:35am
Board
when i go to print a clue i use the single-column layout. only now it is not switching to single-column, stays on double.

Is this still happening? If so, what browser are you using?

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974268 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 7:51am
Board
yes it is still happening.
using google chrome. and it is up to date.

smile
Reply to: #974269 by uneksia
Apr 17, 2019 8:15am
Board
using google chrome. and it is up to date.

I'm still having trouble reproducing the problem. What kind of device are you using and exactly what version of Chrome are you using? (I'm currently testing with version 73.0 and it seems to work fine.)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974271 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 8:26am
Board
my device is a desktop. have not tried it on my laptop or phone. i can do that tomorrow and see if problem is same.

version 73.0.3683.103 (official build) (64-bit)

smile
Reply to: #974272 by uneksia
Apr 17, 2019 8:35am
Board
I'm not sure what to tell you. It's like you're describing my own system and I still can't recreate the problem that you're describing. You're sure you hit the "update page" button after changing to the single-column page layout?

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974274 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 9:17am
Board
oh geezum!
has that button always been there and i just never saw it?
worked like a charm!
and here i made you work this morning for my dumbness. :(

on another note.
used to be if i was going to go boxing with a friend i could look at their logbook and see a green checkmark next to boxes that we had found in common. are you planning on replacing that feature?

smile
Reply to: #974276 by uneksia
Apr 17, 2019 3:42pm
Board
on another note.
used to be if i was going to go boxing with a friend i could look at their logbook and see a green checkmark next to boxes that we had found in common. are you planning on replacing that feature?

Judging from pervious discussions, lot of us are waiting to hear about this.
Reply to: #971269 by Green Tortuga
Apr 18, 2019 1:38pm
Board
Why? Just Why?