Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Welcome to the Current Big Update!

Re: Welcome to the Current Big Update!
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #971052 by Green Tortuga
Feb 5, 2019 11:46am
Board
I miss being able to ignore threads. Or is it somewhere I am just not seeing?
Reply to: #971067 by thunderbird
Feb 5, 2019 12:00pm
Board
I miss being able to ignore threads. Or is it somewhere I am just not seeing?

You can still ignore threads. Click the grayed-out thread icon with the X at the bottom of a post. It'll turn to color when the thread is being ignored.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971061 by Green Tortuga
Feb 5, 2019 12:08pm
Board
Re-thinking my question re:widget icons. For example, ‘countdown’ I can see the icons on the header, but on individual items, only the ‘edit’ and ‘delete’. Now I’m wondering if that’s all that was ever there? So maybe there’s no difference after all?
Feb 5, 2019 12:25pm
Board
You got rid of "Recent Threads"?????????????? I don't need to see all the recent messages, just threads.

Or do I have to hunt for the recent threads?
Reply to: #971072 by MissMoon
Feb 5, 2019 12:39pm
Board
I use a widget on My Page called Newest Threads. That should make it easier for you to view them.
Reply to: #971061 by Green Tortuga
Feb 5, 2019 12:56pm
Board
If I click on the "Boards" pull-down tab then try to click the button "post message" it sends me to an error page. If I go to the bottom of the page and click directly on "post message" it works.
Reply to: #971073 by Janila
Feb 5, 2019 1:13pm
Board
I found them. Just buried in a different place. No widget necessary.

That being said.....I see no reason why I would need a widget to see a basic feature.
Feb 5, 2019 1:54pm
Board
Two icons at the top of this page, for instance - top right - the search magnifier and the yellow pencil - both take me to the same page - Search Boards, with the How-to right next to it, which is nice, but I thought maybe I could widen the message column on my computer since it's narrower than the screen.
Reply to: #971070 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 5, 2019 2:54pm
Board
For example, ‘countdown’ I can see the icons on the header, but on individual items, only the ‘edit’ and ‘delete’. Now I’m wondering if that’s all that was ever there?

Yeah, that's all that's supposed to be there for individual items on that particular widget. The options that are available are different depending on the widget.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971072 by MissMoon
Feb 5, 2019 2:55pm
Board
I'll just point you to this thread where I already posted a long reply about the subject. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971074 by FORAYCH
Feb 5, 2019 2:57pm
Board
If I click on the "Boards" pull-down tab then try to click the button "post message" it sends me to an error page.

Thanks! It should be fixed now!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971076 by MissMoon
Feb 5, 2019 3:01pm
Board
I see no reason why I would need a widget to see a basic feature.

Because widgets are awesome! =)

I can see at a glance everything on AQ that I might have an interest in. New boxes, message board posts, AQ mail--and even the weather! I don't have to click through to each of the links one at a time to see what's happening, I can do it all from a single page at a glance. It's wonderful. *nodding*

The menubar items.... I kind of think of those items as access to advanced features (stuff I can't find or do easily from My Page) or for new people on the site who haven't created an account and therefore don't have a handy-dandy My Page to work off of.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971078 by Maude
Feb 5, 2019 4:03pm
Board
Two icons at the top of this page, for instance - top right - the search magnifier and the yellow pencil - both take me to the same page

That's a bug. The pencil (or edit) link is supposed to take you to the same page, but have your current search parameters already pre-entered into the form so you can modify it as needed. I forgot to add the option to display a thread you were viewing, though, so if the only search option being used was to read a specific thread Id, it wound up showing the exact same page.

It's a bug, though, and should be fixed now!

I can make the messages wider, but people tend to find them more difficult to read if the lines start getting too wide. Where they are now, they top out at about 100 characters of text. According to studies and accessibility tests (something I've been learning quite a bit about lately because of a lawsuit involving a website I created), 55 to 75 characters per line is optimal while the average website typically uses 75 to 85 characters per line. So mine was a bit higher than both the recommended practice and even what's normal on the web--but I know *I* found the text more difficult to read when it started getting much longer than that and cut it off at around 100 characters.

Admittedly, because AQ is a one-man operation, this website isn't legally required to be ADA accessible or follow best practices... but I'd like to. I know it's deficient in some places, but I hope to fix those issues over time. But because of that, I'm really leery about making messages wider.

-- Ryan
Feb 6, 2019 4:32pm
Board
I needed to look up one of my boxes to add a planter. When I click on the link for “my active”, it takes me to a page called “ltc search”
Reply to: #971153 by Baqash
Feb 6, 2019 5:08pm
Board
When I click on the link for “my active”, it takes me to a page called “ltc search”

Where is this link? I don't remember creating a link for showing just one's active boxes anywhere.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971155 by Green Tortuga
Feb 6, 2019 5:45pm
Board
Using my iPhone on “my page” I click on letterboxes and in the drop down menu is a listing for “my active”.
Reply to: #971156 by Baqash
Feb 6, 2019 8:09pm
Board
That's a custom menu option you added, but I went ahead and logged into your account to check it out and it looks like the search is just set to search for LTCs rather than traditional boxes. I changed the URL so the search type is "1" instead of "18" and it seems to work fine now.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971160 by Green Tortuga
Feb 6, 2019 8:13pm
Board
Ah. Thank you. I’ve slept so many times since then I didn’t realize that was a custom add
Feb 9, 2019 7:35am
Board
I have found that I am very distracted by the new arrangements of the icons and boxes when I view the message boards in the expanded version on my computer. So, I changed my view type to "summary" and find it much more aesthetic for me. However, when there are new messages from my favorite boards appearing under my "Favorite Boards" on My Page, I am noticing that they don't always disappear from the listing after I read them. Sometimes, if there are several messages, only the last one remains, sometimes, they all remain. If I change the view type to "expanded", they then disappear.

Glitch from the changes or problem with my computer? Or must the messages be read in expanded view to make the new listing disappear?
Reply to: #971247 by Janila
Feb 9, 2019 8:09am
Board
Or must the messages be read in expanded view to make the new listing disappear?

They're supposed to be read in the expanded view to count them as "read" messages. I thought this was how it always used to work.... I didn't plan on changing it, but maybe I don't remember correctly anymore. (I never use the simple or summary views so don't actually have a lot of experience with those.)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971249 by Green Tortuga
Feb 9, 2019 8:48am
Board
They're supposed to be read in the expanded view to count them as "read" messages. I thought this was how it always used to work....

It probably is how it worked before but I wouldn't know because I never used it. Guess I will have to get used to all of the clutter in the expanded view.
Feb 9, 2019 3:33pm
Board
I can't figure out how to read a thread starting at the initial message any more.
Reply to: #971262 by Basset Mom
Feb 9, 2019 3:36pm
Board
I believe it is the green arrow up on the right with the vertical line on its left. I'm learning, also, so I hope this is correct.
Feb 9, 2019 4:56pm
Board
I can't figure out how to read a thread starting at the initial message any more.

Me either. That arrow referenced by someone else goes clear back the first post on the board, not the first post of the thread.
Feb 9, 2019 6:12pm
Board

It would be easier to explain this while looking over your shoulder, but you use the green left arrow with the line to go to the beginning of whatever you're reading. If you're reading a thread, it'll go to the beginning of the thread. If you're reading a board, it'll go to the beginning of the board. If you're reading "all boards", it'll take you to the first message ever posted. If you're reading a custom search (posts about "postal boxes", for instance), it'll take you to the first post with "postal boxes" in the message.

Which, based on the replies to this question, I think people may not fully understand how those buttons work. All of the buttons work on the premise of "whatever you're reading." If it's a thread, the buttons are the first, previous, next and last pages of the thread. If you're reading a board, it's the first, previous, next and last page of the board. If you're reading "all messages," it'll be the first, previous, next and last pages of "all messages."

So... what you see when you click it depends on what you're reading--and I can't tell without looking over your shoulder. Linking from different places pulls up different posts.

• If you follow the links from the "favorite boards" widget, it'll open a board at the place where you had stopped reading. (Clicking the first button will take you to the "first" page of messages on the entire board.)
  • If you follow the links from the "recent threads" widget, it'll open the thread starting at the first message of the thread. The "first" button won't even work because you'll already be at the first message.
  • If you open a message from the "recent messages" board, it will also open a page to the thread the message is on, but start the page at the message you clicked on. Clicking the "first" button will move the page to the start of the thread.
  • If you click the "reply to" link in a message, it'll open that thread with the message being replied to as the first message on the page. Clicking the "first" button from there will take you to the start of the thread.
  • If you click the icon of the thread in a message, it'll open that thread with that message as the first one. Clicking the "first" button from there will take you to the start of the thread.
  • If you click the "board" icon in a message, it'll open that board with that message as the first one on the page. Clicking the "first" button from there will take you to the first page of posts from that board.
  • Clicking the number of the post in a message will just re-frame the messages so the one you clicked is at the top of the page. If you're viewing a thread, you'll continue viewing the thread. If you're viewing a board, you'll continue viewing the board. If you're viewing "all messages," you'll continue to view "all messages." I'm not actually sure this one is very useful and maybe I should get rid of the link for simplicity's sake. (I added it with the dubious thought that if I wanted to post a link to a thread but wanted a specific post to be at the top of the page, I could click on the ID to create the link I needed.) The ID of the first post on a page actually does nothing--it links to exactly what you're already reading.
  • If you follow a board from the Browse Boards page, it'll open the board to the last page of posts. Clicking the "first" button will take you to the first post of the board.
  • The Recent Active Threads page has links to both boards and threads. If you click one of the boards link, it'll open the last page of posts on that board. Clicking the "first" button on that will take you to the first post of the board. If you click one of the threads link, it'll open to the last page of posts to that thread. Clicking the "first" button on that will take you to the first post of the thread.

So, if you're reading a board and want to go to the first post in the thread, you have to first switch from a "board view" to a "thread view." Click the thread button to do that. Then click the "first" button to move to the beginning of the thread.

It's probably easier than it sounds. Without being able to look over your shoulder to see how you get to the message boards, I'm not sure which "entrance" is the one you're using, so I'm not sure which set of directions applies to you. So... I listed all of them. At least that I could think of off the top of the my head.

Pretty much all links open up threads unless you're clicking on the actual name of a board in which case it opens up the board with that name or you click on "all messages" in which case you get everything. AQ doesn't let you "switch" to a thread if you're already viewing a thread, and it doesn't let you switch to a board if you're already viewing a board.

If you walk me through exactly what you click when you wind up at a message whose thread you want to follow to its beginning, I can be more specific.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971269 by Green Tortuga
Feb 9, 2019 8:43pm
Board
I guess I should also point out.... for all the long, rambling explanation I made.... the first, previous, next and last buttons have always worked like this. It's nothing I changed in the update so don't freak out if you were reading that and thinking "wow, this update is so complicated!" Absolutely nothing in this update changed how those buttons worked (unless there's a bug I don't know about).

So don't let the change in the layout confuse you. How the message boards actually work hasn't changed at all except that there's no longer an option to read posts one at a time. Everything else that looks different....just looks different. It should work exactly the same as before.

Although if you prefer navigating one post a time...you can edit your message board preferences to show 1 post per page instead of the default of 30.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971269 by Green Tortuga
Feb 9, 2019 8:58pm
Board
Thanks for the explanation, Ryan. I think I've got it now. Click 'thread;' click 'first.'
Reply to: #971272 by Boxer Lover47
Feb 10, 2019 3:00am
Board
Click 'thread;' click 'first.'

Thanks. This cleared it up for me.
Reply to: #971270 by Green Tortuga
Feb 10, 2019 10:15am
Board
I love that after that long detailed explanation, all Ele needed was four words from BL47 :)

Here’s a minor odd change: when clicking an old message on “Wassa’s random daily funnies” it used to go to just that message, but now it goes to the whole thread with that message first.

K
Reply to: #971293 by Kelsung
Feb 10, 2019 5:33pm
Board
Here’s a minor odd change: when clicking an old message on “Wassa’s random daily funnies” it used to go to just that message, but now it goes to the whole thread with that message first.

That's logical.... Sometimes the replies are even funnier than the original funny message! Or you want to go back and read the thread that generated the funny message. =)

-- Ryan