Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Camp Grounds

Camp Grounds
Board: The Grateful Letterboxers!
Jan 30, 2019 7:15pm
Board
How do you get in the camp grounds if you are not staying there? I read somewhere that to get in the camp ground area you had to be staying there. Is this correct?

Also the day pass to park in the area for non residents is $10.00 a day correct and can it be used at other parking areas for other sites such as Goldsmith Woodlands and Ward Reservation.

When do you get the clues for new boxes? Is it wed? and where?

I am new to all of this, it will be my first time to the event.

Any info would be appreciated,

Echo
Re: Camp Grounds
Reply to: #970873 by Echo
Jan 30, 2019 7:35pm
Board
That all sounds correct. They may have reserved the group site, which you can add your name to and pay minimal.

We stay in a hotel but get a camp site for to have a place to park and get park entrance. Also a place to put boxes.

:-)

Be sure to join the Grateful Letterbox group. Reading older posts will also help.
Reply to: #970873 by Echo
Jan 31, 2019 2:14pm
Board
Hello, Echo.... Echo.........Echo.............Echo........
How do you get in the camp grounds if you are not staying there? I read somewhere that to get in the camp ground area you had to be staying there. Is this correct?

Yes, you technically need a site reservation, but they also allow visitors if you know a name and associated site #. Among other folks, you can visit Dawn in site #210 starting Sunday or myself (Pete) in site #305 starting Wednesday evening. The staff at the gatehouse is very friendly. Just smile, wave and don't be shy - wear your brightest tie-dye! Let them know you're a Grateful Letterboxer. They enjoy our creativity and will be well aware of our presence once again!!!
Also the day pass to park in the area for non residents is $10.00 a day correct and can it be used at other parking areas for other sites such as Goldsmith Woodlands and Ward Reservation.

Sounds about right, but I'd recommend passing on that day fee. For Friday and Saturday, sign-up with ZESS for the Group Site. This will allow you to come and go as desired, staying later for the night boxes! Also, this is when the most campsite boxes will be available. The majority of other boxes in Harold Parker are outside of the campground. Since they've re-opened Berry Pond, there is a parking fee at the Kiosk area off Jenkins Rd and the Pavilion on Middleton St during the summer. Camping passes will allow free parking there, but it's not really necessary. Either walk from the campground to the Kiosk, or park close by roadside on Middleton St. Keep in mind that there are lots of other starting points for numerous series in HP which have no parking restrictions. There are no parking fees for any of the AVIS Reservations scattered about town. Boxes should be available at every one. Ward reservation is now under the Audubon umbrella. If you're a member parking is free, otherwise there is a small fee there unfortunately.
When do you get the clues for new boxes? Is it wed? and where?

Clues will be published on-line prior to the official event start on Sunday. Print them up or use your favorite electronic device. Just be prepared in advance with saved copies of some form as WiFi can be spotty in the forest. You will be notified when the clues have been released, and also given any secret key codes if required. Basically - Just stay tuned!
I am new to all of this, it will be my first time to the event.

We get VERY excited to meet the first-timers!!! Here are a few suggestions:
1) Pick and choose older boxes to search in advance! Find a few themes that suit your fancy and print them up. Plenty to choose from over the past 13 years.
2) Don't get overwhelmed! Feel free to box til you drop if that's your cup of tea, but don't hesitate to pull up a chair and join us by the pool or campfire for some down time.
3) Make new friends, find new boxing companions! There's always someone out on the trails. Make plans with other boxers in advance or feel free to meet up spontaneously on Grateful Row and go out with someone new!
4) Don't overdue it! If you want to collect ALL the Andover letterboxes, you can stay for a month... or two..... or three... or four.......... and you still won't get them all! Find what feels comfortable and plan a return trip next year! Just getting the Event boxes, Grateful Row boxes, Campsite boxes and night boxes will take some time. Take time to relax with others!
5) Don't hesitate to ask questions! Any question about that? When in doubt, perplexed, confused, need advice, information, clue assistance or anything else, .........just ask!

Stamp themes and trackers will be posted very soon! Please sign-up if you feel up to carving for the event. Hope this info is helpful - See you in Andover when the temps are a tad warmer!!! ;o)

Shine your shoes, light your fuse
Can you use, them ol' U.S. Blues?
Pete
Reply to: #970875 by SherlockMiles
Jan 31, 2019 2:28pm
Board
Be sure to join the Grateful Letterbox group.

Sherlock, good advice but I'm pretty sure this IS the Grateful Letterbox group! Let me double-check.......

Yup - THIS IS IT!!!

;o)
Pete
Reply to: #970899 by The Merry Pranksters
Jan 31, 2019 3:52pm
Board
LOL......still recovering from LLB
Reply to: #970899 by The Merry Pranksters
Jan 31, 2019 6:11pm
Board
But if you’re on Facebook, you can join that group too!
Reply to: #970906 by Kit Kat 61
Jan 31, 2019 7:43pm
Board
Thanks for all the help. I now have a better understanding of what and where to begin.

See ya real soon!
Echo (Ann Grimes)
Reply to: #970900 by SherlockMiles
Jan 31, 2019 8:51pm
Board
SherlockMiles -
For the record, you were correct! Echo was just visiting the board previously, but is now officially sign up as a Grateful Letterboxer!!! ;o)

Pete
Reply to: #970916 by The Merry Pranksters
Feb 1, 2019 3:32am
Board
*upside down smiley face here*