A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: US/Mexico border tour

Re: US/Mexico border tour
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #970808 by Wronghat
Jan 29, 2019 7:30pm
Board
I hope building the wall does not lead to the destruction of any boxes.

They're building a wall? You must be getting your news somewhere other than I do. That's not the rumor I heard. ;o)

-- Ryan, who's walked through both the Mexican and Canadian borders (but only the Mexican border had barbed-wire that I had to crawl through)
Re: US/Mexico border tour
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #970820 by Green Tortuga
Jan 30, 2019 12:32pm
Board
Apparently, they approved a portion back in March, and are set to bulldoze soon.

From the Sierra Club FB page:
"We now know that they're going to start building Trump's border wall in the Lower Rio Grande Valley National Wildlife Refuge of South Texas in just a couple of weeks. They will bulldoze a 150-foot swath of forest and cover it with gravel and then build an 18- to 30-foot concrete wall with steel posts on top.

The funds for this border wall were provided in the March 2018 Omnibus spending bill which allocated $1.6 billion for border walls and passed with bipartisan support.

This wall will permanently damage and possibly lead to the closure of Bentsen State Park and the National Butterfly Center, which are important economic drivers in the Rio Grande Valley. And it will end forever our dreams of a restored wildlife corridor along the river.

Please contact your Members of Congress today and everyday using the Congressional switchboard (202) 224-3121 and the office of Governor Greg Abbott at (512) 463-2000. Please share this information, too, since so many people are under the mistaken impression that Trump's wall has not yet been funded."

I have not verified the information yet, but hope they did.