Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Delete false finds from owned boxes?

Re: Delete false finds from owned boxes?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #970785 by screamin meemie
Jan 29, 2019 11:01am
Board
You are not one of those who logged it, as least not that I noticed. The box number is in my original post.

I messaged everyone who logged it with the correct number and many have already logged the correct one. Most even deleted their incorrect finds. I expect misidentified logs to happen, but when it's a different type of box altogether...

It's just annoying when the event box had the number written on it yet people just log anything not noticing or caring that it's the wrong type of box. Add in people destroying my puzzle boxes to get the stamp inside and I greatly regret sharing my stamps.
Reply to: #970791 by RIclimber
Jan 29, 2019 11:14am
Board
RIC I sympathize with you. You have always put a lot of thought and creativity into your boxes. To have people destroy them for their own selfish gain is disheartening for you and all our community. One frustration I have is that there are SO MANY boxes at a large event it is impossible to know what is a trad., event, PT, cootie, etc. I wish people would get in the habit of putting a name/number somewhere in the box or stamp. This would make logging finds accurately, for those of us who are particular, easier.
Reply to: #970791 by RIclimber
Jan 29, 2019 11:33am
Board
I can't believe that someone destroyed your (really cool) puzzle box over a stamp. I like to think it's a very small number of people, but some letterboxers feel entitled to stamps/finds even if they can't solve a clue. I can understand your regrets. :-(
Reply to: #970794 by Angel and Demon
Jan 29, 2019 12:18pm
Board
I can't believe that someone destroyed your (really cool) puzzle box

Based on Mud's description, I was afraid it was one of RIC's puzzle boxes......there were SO MANY people there that even if you couldn't sort it out, you could work as part of a team.......no excuse for vandalism
Reply to: #970798 by Public Hand
Jan 29, 2019 1:17pm
Board
Agree 100%. People often say that not every box is for every boxer, and it's true. If you can't solve the clue (or in other cases do the hike, etc) then just move on to the next box. There was no shortage of boxes or stamps at this event, so everyone should have been able to find something they could enjoy without resorting to destruction of boxes.
Reply to: #970792 by Sagacorn
Jan 29, 2019 4:10pm
Board
I know that I've made some mistakes in the past with logging the wrong box, especially the ones that don't have any clues to jog my memory on where it was found (like was this snowman stamp the one from the lobby or one from someone's door?). Boxes that have the AQ# written in them make it so much easier to log them later, I make sure to write down the number next to the box name in my book.

RIClimber, I totally understand your disappointment in how your boxes were treated, but I just want to let you know that I love your boxes and I'm sorry that someone didn't give them the respect that they (and you) deserve.
Reply to: #970801 by Angel and Demon
Jan 29, 2019 4:13pm
Board
I agree 100% as well. There were so many people at this event and the hotel that simply asking someone, even RIC, for help solving or a little nudge on how to solve would have been the right thing to do. It is absolutely heartbreaking to know that someone would go to such levels as to destroy someone else's property just to get those stamps. Just not cool at all. Thank you RIC for your creativity with those boxes and for all you do to make this hobby so much fun!!!!
Reply to: #970783 by RIclimber
Jan 29, 2019 4:51pm
Board
Do you think they were logging my event box as your traditional? I had a disney themed event box with the 7 dwarves, daisy, goofy and pluto. But the box names are completely different. I had my name, the name of the box and the AQ# on it, so it doesn't make sense that they'd log mine as yours. :/

AQ 290183
Reply to: #970813 by BaliWho
Jan 29, 2019 5:31pm
Board
The stamps were my grandmothers old set carved back in 2003-2004
Reply to: #970814 by RIclimber
Jan 29, 2019 5:51pm
Board
The stamps were my grandmothers old set carved back in 2003-2004

Hm, Ok. but there were only 2 of those, right? So, that makes no sense, either. And they logged 9 finds? People are strange! I'd be irritated, too.