Jan 29, 2019 7:04am
Board
Have a letterboxing event instead. Plant it and they will come! 🤗
Re: Can I just vent
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #970777 by Acorns4u
Jan 29, 2019 8:26am
Board
And you can call it "The Venting Event" and have people carve stamps of angry (but funny) people and animals (I see a baboon showing teeth, or a howler monkey when thinking of this).
~SD~
Reply to: #970776 by Crazyolis
Jan 29, 2019 10:43am
Board
What weekend did you pick?
Jan 29, 2019 11:30am
Board
I would say that the people who dashed back a 'oh that's great' response probably didn't really give it a lot of thought. Human nature.

if so and so goes, we won't go

Screw them with that attitude. Seriously. Cross them off the list and move on. Trying to plan something like this is stressful enough without worrying about people like that.

One said they are going on a mini vacation from KY to OH with a stop in Niagara Falls. Since when is Niagara Falls on the way back to KY? And to add insult to injury, I live 90 minutes from NF and have been asking this cousin for YEARS to come visit! So she comes when we are not here??

I imagine they planned this trip when they could go? Maybe you don't have all the pertinent info? .....regardless of a family reunion date? Or whether or not you would be there?

As for the teenage girl thing I agree to keep the original date and get together with whoever shows up and forget the rest of the crap. You'll drive yourself nuts getting stressed out about who does this or that or doesn't do this or that.

There's just a lot of b**ls**t in this world that we have to try and let go of. It can be really hard but it can help us avoid a lot of stress. Life is just too freaking short.

So instead of potentially 14 families, I have maybe 3. Everyone says great idea, but no one wants to commit to going!

Depending on how important this is to you, maybe just tell people that due to not enough people going, it has been cancelled? That's a decision you would have to make. :(
Jan 29, 2019 11:36am
Board
You will have a blast with the ones who show. Post lots of (potentially) jealousy-inducing photos to Facebook. Love the one you're with.
Reply to: #970790 by Goofy girl
Jan 29, 2019 12:23pm
Board
The third weekend in July! You wanna come....you can be part of the family!
Jan 29, 2019 7:49pm
Board
I totally get you on this! I've lost a lot of "friends" over the past few years because of their inability to be reliable. We'd schedule just a simple lunch for a few weeks out and then I'd be on my way there, sometimes driving for a solid chunk of time, for them to text me and be like "oh, my mom says I can't go." Is that so? You're 23 and your mother says you can go out for pizza at 11:30 on a tuesday? Then an hour later they're posting on snapchat that they're out bowling or something with another friend.

I think it's part of the new "millennial culture" where nothing is urgent and reliability and expectations are jokes...

I really really like the idea of a "venting event". I don't want to promise anything but I will make every effort to go no matter where it is and will ONLY rsvp yes if I know I can make it :)
Reply to: #970822 by buddyjumper
Jan 30, 2019 7:39am
Board
I really really like the idea of a "venting event".

Festivus occurs every year and includes airing of grievances...
Reply to: #970800 by Crazyolis
Jan 31, 2019 4:24pm
Board
Ill check the calendar!
Reply to: #970901 by Goofy girl
Jan 31, 2019 5:57pm
Board
Im sorry i so wish i could come and be family -one kid comes back from camp, family reunjon for hubbys side that weekend and hibby is out of town...