Skip to Content
Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: New gal proving herself- open tracker.

Re: New gal proving herself- open tracker.
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #970708 by Neoterra
Jan 31, 2019 11:41am
Board
Every host was new at once! Not long ago, I was right there! Good luck and look forward to what new trackers you bring to the table!
Reply to: #970894 by jlsd0218
Jan 31, 2019 11:52am
Board
Thank you too to all of you that have been helping. I saw your post, I have very similar sentiments! Friendly folks so far!
Reply to: #970879 by Neoterra
Feb 1, 2019 12:43pm
Board
I'm not ready to do an LTC but this is a funny subject. I can't decide if my biggest fear was running the mile or doing sit ups for those Presidential Fitness Tests. Had I known then what I know now, I would have taken that stuff more seriously lol.
Reply to: #970943 by Trishee
Feb 1, 2019 1:31pm
Board
There is time and it doesn't have to be super elaborate, just saying.
Reply to: #970947 by Neoterra
Feb 1, 2019 7:43pm
Board
Thanks. I’ve signed myself up for lots of stamp requests but I do want to do a tracker before too long. Maybe for Halloween.
Reply to: #970943 by Trishee
Feb 2, 2019 8:23am
Board
You are SO ready to do an LTC, what do you mean?? You've been carving for a while...just take the leap and stamp a card. It doesn't need to be fancy. But a warning, you will become addicted!
Reply to: #970972 by Sheep Thrills
Feb 2, 2019 8:48am
Board
My first card set, was nothin'. Right now I'm working on my fourth set and I'm going all out. Really were just excited to get ltc's.
Feb 4, 2019 11:03pm
Board
Update-all cards are in now and they are going back out to everyone tomorrow.
Feb 5, 2019 7:33pm
Board
proud of you hosting a tracker! I have never hosted one. Kinda scares me. Not sure just what is all involved as a host.
Reply to: #971110 by condo
Feb 6, 2019 12:30pm
Board
They actually aren't all that hard, though the first time is pretty daunting.
1) Pick a theme.
2) Decide on a due date (in hand or send by).
3) Decide on how many people you want in your swap. Best to start kind of small to begin with.
4) Set up the tracker.
5) Have a location to keep the sent envelopes together as you receive them.
6) Remember to make your own cards in a timely fashion.
7) Once you have all the cards, or have reached the due date and have established you have all the cards you are going to get, then it's time to sort. What works best for me is to have a clear table and make one pile for each participant. I take each set of sent ltcs and deal them into each pile, kind of like dealing a hand of poker. I then return any extra ltcs to the envelope of the sender. That way I don't misplace any or return them to the wrong person. When I have sorted all the sent ltcs, I make sure that I have one of each card in each pile.
8) Log the cards you receive. You can do them all at once, or one at a time as you receive them.
9) Remove the mailing label with your address, so that you can return the sorted sets, tape the envelopes, and attach return postage, then mail them back.
10) Have fun.
11) Communicate with your participants. If something comes up that might cause a delay, let people know.

After you've done a few, you'll figure out what works best for you. This order may not be exactly how you do it, but these are the basic steps.

dp
Reply to: #971145 by dancingpecan
Feb 6, 2019 3:15pm
Board
Great advice from a great host.
Feb 6, 2019 6:13pm
Board
hahaha...#9. I forgot to remove my address from one envelope in a swap. Two days later, there was an envelope in my mailbox and the cards looked awfully familiar! Oops.
Feb 6, 2019 8:42pm
Board
Great advise from DP!

I’ll add that it won’t always go as smoothly as you might wish. I don’t say that to dissuade you (I think you should take the plunge!) rather, I say it to remind you that they seem to take on a life of their own and you should just accept that. Remember, have fun.
Reply to: #971158 by Sheep Thrills
Feb 6, 2019 10:26pm
Board
The second swap I ever hosted had about 24 participants. After sorting and repackaging I was a little brain dead. I left my mailing label on at least three of the envelopes. I got mail for several days. lol
Reply to: #971166 by dancingpecan
Feb 7, 2019 12:36pm
Board
24!!! Yikes. 😬

I have enough trouble with 9 - 12.
😄
Reply to: #971178 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 7, 2019 12:59pm
Board
What can I say, I was young and naive. Of course, since I'm currently hosting 3 Interactive ltc swaps all due at the same time, I guess I now qualify as old and crazy. lol