Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Friday Distraction: How Big Will You Go?

Re: Friday Distraction: How Big Will You Go?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #970669 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 25, 2019 8:10pm
Board
I’m of two minds about this. I love big art. See Chuck Close for example:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/fc0030b1-6b72-4cfe-860e-9014fac99c04.jpeg

I thought the whale print was nice and pretty spectacular. But I thought Giralel was too big. As art anyway. It was an amazing feat of carving and printing but it seemed more of a stunt to me than art.

I’d happily carve a monster stamp of, say, ammo box size IF I thought people wouldn’t complain about it being too big for their logbook or if I lived in an area of the country that saw a lot more ‘boxing action.

Carving big for art’s sake is another matter. I’ve considered doing prints for sale. And if I do, I’ll probably carve bigger than LTC size. I do have to admit that carving something large has its appeal. Hmmmm...

I carved a sandwich size stamp once I think, early on, that I put in a LnL.
The largest stamp I’ve found in the wild a magnificent piece by Lost Sailor.
Jan 25, 2019 10:33pm
Board
These past few months I've been having I desire to carve a large stamp. Something that could fit on a 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper. That size only because it would be easy to store in a binder once it's printed. But I have yet to decide on image.

I have not found any stamps in the wild that are really any bigger than LTC size. I have not planted any stamps any bigger than LTC size. I kind of think trying to hide a stamp that's big could be an interesting task.

If I was commissioned/paid to do a large carving I don't know if I would really have a size limit. But I can't imagine working on one carving for more than a few months. I think I would get bored of it after a while.
Jan 26, 2019 12:10am
Board
I've gotten some larger stamps that had clearly been carved all at once but the portioned off into puzzle blocks or pieces for stamping/hiding more manageably. They were fun! Personally my log book is kind of small compared to others so if you mentioned the size in the clues, finders could bring a larger piece of stamping material. People will always complain about something! Carve what makes you happy!
Reply to: #970676 by gemini girl
Jan 26, 2019 1:15am
Board
I think the largest stamp I ever found in the wild was a hitchhiker that was about 6" square and probably took the carver about two minutes to hack it out of an entire slab of Speedy-Cut with a steak knife.

I did find another stamp that was nearly that size, probably at least 5" square, but oddly enough it had five separate images on it -- one in each corner and one in the center. There was at least a half inch of clear space separating each image, so it would have been a simple matter to slice it up into five separate stamps. That was one of the first stamps I had ever found carved on orange PZ Kut.
Reply to: #970670 by FORAYCH
Jan 26, 2019 11:01am
Board
[...] put large newsprint paper over it then bray for image.

Like this?

This is a better example.
Jan 28, 2019 7:16pm
Board
The largest I have in the field is about 4x6.
The largest I have found in the field (permanent plant) is 3x5-ish.
The largest stamp I have carved (event stamp) is about 7-8 x 5-ish.
The largest stamp I have carved (PT) is 5" diameter.
I carve on pink.

Lynn
Reply to: #970763 by Phoenix Rizing
Jan 28, 2019 7:31pm
Board
Let's take a little trip back in time...

Back in 2006, I had just recently started doing Postals. PZKut was in its heyday, and as a fairly new carver, I was very thankful for Webfoot and her dedication to providing us with a quality product. One fine day, Webfoot was discussing Stampeaz in a post. And the intrepid ArtGekko responded.

This gave me an idea...

A bunch of like-minded (read: equally goofy) carvers and I decided to make a Tribute Stamp, to thank Webfoot for her tireless (pun intended) work. It was to be a surprise, but in order to list it, I hid it in plain site in the trackers as PM43530 , which was code for "Post Message #43530", the messageboard post number of ArtGekko's post.

What was it? A full sheet of Orange PZKut, where we carved a full-slab "Stampeaz Bus" with large windows, and sent the slab around to each of the participants, who would carve their SigStamps into an empty window. To the best of my knowledge, this was the first Full-Slab Postal. Once completed, we (we = ArtGekko doing the actual work and me egging her on) made stamped copies of the completed image for each participant, and sent the slab (and logbook) to Webfoot. Surprise!

I have since done (participated in) other full-slab carvings, but this was the first. As far as I know.