A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Planning a plant

Re: Planning a plant
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #970035 by bigredroyaloak
Jan 5, 2019 5:34am
Board
This is a reserved box. When you go to add a new letterbox, there will be the options of what type it is. Pick the reserved box, which I believe is the last option. :)

I have a few reserved awaiting planting as well.

Good luck
Reply to: #970035 by bigredroyaloak
Jan 5, 2019 6:12am
Board
Thanks for asking!
Really.
Too many planters are listing boxes as Active without a clue (literally) what they should be doing instead.
You asked, and get a standing ovation for that!

I would add one tip: when you create a Reserved listing, select a plant date far enough in the future you have plenty of time to get everything ready.
Then, once the clue is ready to publish, just click the red Activate Box button on the far left of the reserved listing.
By using Reserved listings, your newest boxes will appear on the Newest Letterboxes widget on everyone's My Page when it's really available to find. Otherwise, it appears the day you start the listing, and may be off the list and forgotten by the time the clues are added.
Reply to: #970038 by Maude
Jan 5, 2019 6:49am
Board
I would add one tip: when you create a Reserved listing, select a plant date far enough in the future you have plenty of time to get everything ready.

This is ok if you have a general idea of when you want to plant. I have had boxes on my reserved list for over two years just waiting for the best place to plant. When I finally plant them, I just change the date when I activate them.
Reply to: #970040 by Janila
Jan 6, 2019 8:24am
Board
So you're saying a reserved box can go past it's estimated plant date, and it doesn't go active automatically? Oh, good. I thought maybe …
Reply to: #970092 by Maude
Jan 6, 2019 9:27am
Board
So you're saying a reserved box can go past it's estimated plant date, and it doesn't go active automatically?

I currently have boxes on my reserved list dating back to 2015. I have been on a planting binge for the past two weeks and have cleaned a lot of them out and all I do is change the date to the actual plant date before I activate the clues.
Reply to: #970096 by Janila
Jan 6, 2019 10:31am
Board
all I do is change the date to the actual plant date before I activate the clues.

I'd recommend doing that after you activate the clues. Off the top of my head, I think AQ might automatically set the plant date to the activation date because I know a lot of people don't edit that sort of thing when they make a box live and if you make it live, there's a good chance that is the plant date. (Or, at very least, very close to it.)

I could be wrong.... this is off the top of my head and I'd have to look at the code to be 100% certain. But there's definitely no harm in changing the plant date after it's activated and you have to edit the listing anyhow to mark attributes, add a location and anything else that's specific to the box type you activated. (The reserved listing only let's you add options that are the same for all box types.)

-- Ryan