A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Hitchhikers

Re: Hitchhikers
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #969399 by TeachJR
Dec 14, 2018 6:12pm
Board
I've got a couple great ones for you, too! They're really fun and I want to make sure someone who enjoys HH's gets them next.
Reply to: #969330 by SpitFire
Dec 14, 2018 6:45pm
Board
Maybe it's a lack of new letterboxes or letterboxing activity. I know that we have planted quite a few & lots haven't been found yet. One imparticular is in a very trafficked area (large city garden) & still hasn't been logged as found in over a year & a half.

Personally we love them! It's like a 2 for the price of 1. Keep putting them out, & we ever make it there, we will move them along!
Reply to: #969328 by Cross Family
Dec 15, 2018 5:08am
Board
I’ve only launched a few HHs but several years back my niece and I launched one on a family trip to FL. It moved relatively quickly to CO but then sank into obscurity for a couple years. I had attached a notice that we were watching its progress and would like to know if it ever came home to central NY and one day I got a message that it had been brought from TX to a neighboring county. I couldn’t believe it! It still took us over a year to find the time to collect the HH but we eventually did. I wonder how often people see their own again? We relaunched it over the summer, so we’ll see if lightening can strike twice.
Reply to: #969401 by All 4 Bama
Dec 15, 2018 11:51pm
Board
I have never been a huge fan of HH and like others have said, usually stamp them only and leave them unless it is at a very seldom found box. But I at least have a better system since I moved to Alaska. Everyone leaves them up here since for them it is a far trip for them and the HH, so I just ignore them so the other tourists can take them away!
Reply to: #969411 by detective
Dec 16, 2018 6:14am
Board
I found a HH once that was in a race with another HH to get from the east coast to California. I was so excited since I was on my way to California later that year. Then I started looking through the log book, and it had been to California already and was now sightseeing wherever.

But that was a great idea. Put a quest on the HH and see if people respond better. Maybe include a prize to the finders of the winners.
Hmm...
Reply to: #969434 by Eidolon
Dec 16, 2018 6:56am
Board
I have never been a huge fan of HH

I did some when I first started boxing but then pretty much lost interest.

The first box I ever found though was a HH, in Texas. The box was missing but the HH was there. According to logging info it seems to have fallen into a black hole three years later in Oregon and has since been retired.

HHs just don't do it for me. Maybe if they traveled more? But too often they stay in a box or someone's backpack or car for too long. They fall into black holes and disappear.