A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Hitchhikers

Re: Hitchhikers
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #969328 by Cross Family
Dec 13, 2018 7:54am
Board
Some of us take joy in finding hitchhikers (and seriously... is it hitchikers, hitchhikers or hitch hikers? I've never known), but some don't. It is a somewhat futile quest to try to enjoy tracking them around the country because logging them just doesn't happen often.
Reply to: #969341 by Honeychyck
Dec 13, 2018 8:10am
Board
I will almost always grab a HH when I come across one in the wild and move it along to another box. Sometimes I remember to log them, if I can find them on AQ or LbNA, and sometimes I place them in another box the same day and then forget about logging them online. I have two in my boxing bag right now that would not fit into any box I've come across since finding them.
The last few "boxes" I've found were really "commando", simply rubber stamps with magnets glued on, stuck under library or store shelves, etc. So, no place for a HH!
Dec 13, 2018 8:46am
Board
We don't box as often as we used to. A while back, after a long hiatus, we were horrified to discover that we had, ahem, *quite a few* hitchhikers that we'd been holding onto for, well, quite some time. So we hied ourselves off and released every one of those poor imprisoned hitchhikers. Now when we find a hh, we stamp it but leave it for the next finder (unless it's in a box that rarely gets visited) and we log it so the owner knows that it's still active.
Dec 13, 2018 9:20am
Board
Don't C them being Re-fkund Very often at all!

Re-fkund? There’s always some new super secret language that we are just finding out about. 🤪
Reply to: #969343 by frankie and benjy
Dec 13, 2018 11:31am
Board
I have a nest of hibernating hitchhikers hanging out for the winter. I think they like it here. But after this post, I will try to re-home them.
Reply to: #969346 by PuggleMom
Dec 13, 2018 11:41am
Board
In east Central Illinois we have three HH Hostels located in Homer, IL and Bloomington Normal, IL, and the third is a mobile HH Hostel. They are taken to most events we have or most carving sessions where we all get together in our area. Our general rule is to leave a few and take a few to get them moving along. If there is any one interested in sending HHs to our area to get them moving, please contact me.

TeachJR
Dec 13, 2018 12:10pm
Board
I have put into place 87 hitchhikers over the course of 5 years (2012-2016). In 2018, I received messages from 11 of them. 9 of them have never been recorded as found. I consider it a bonus in my day when I hear about one.

I have enjoyed hitchhikers, but like others, I decided in 2018 to stop picking up hitchhikers myself. I've found that I enjoyed the traditional letterboxing much more without the additional stamping of hitchhikers. So I leave them in place when I find them for others to enjoy.
Dec 13, 2018 12:17pm
Board
I love finding a HH! I think of it like a bonus! I always stamp away and it motivates me to re-hide them asap! I don't hang on to them very long if I can avoid it..... I always thought the whole purpose was to re-hide asap so more potential finders could enjoy! I haven't sent any off as a carver yet but I hadn't realized that some people don't like them!
Dec 13, 2018 12:45pm
Board
My girls and I love to find hitchhikers in the LBs we find. Now what they don't enjoy is the "extra stamping" that goes along with finding and moving the HH. We log the HH if it is possible. We have found some HHs that didn't have any AQ/LBNA number associated with it or carver identification to try and get some idea of how to log it. A fellow letterboxer let me know to just log them as unlisted (which I now have to figure out how to do).

The common issue is that we have see (in our area at least) are finding HHs in LBs that haven't been found in years (especially after all the local LBers have found them). So that might be an issue with your HHs if they are in LBs that aren't normally found regularly. Or if they got placed into LBs that got muggled or have gone missing due to weather related issues. We tend to place HHs in some of the newer LBs that we plant so that there is a higher chance that someone will pick them up and move them. There are some new HH Hostels in our area too, but then again if no one looks for them then the HHs inside will just sit there until someone does.

I tell my girls that once we set a HH out into the LB world it is hard to monitor them. But we do get excited when we get a notification of someone finding them.
Dec 13, 2018 8:34pm
Board
Exactly what We were looking for!..... Very Interesting Responses!Re: Hitch hikers!...... Thanks for All the Advice!
Reply to: #969347 by TeachJR
Dec 14, 2018 10:09am
Board
I'll be in IL this summer. Maybe I can drop off all the hibernating hitchhikers hanging out at my place. :-)
Reply to: #969388 by PuggleMom
Dec 14, 2018 5:01pm
Board
Sounds great - we like to keep them moving!
Reply to: #969399 by TeachJR
Dec 14, 2018 6:12pm
Board
I've got a couple great ones for you, too! They're really fun and I want to make sure someone who enjoys HH's gets them next.
Reply to: #969330 by SpitFire
Dec 14, 2018 6:45pm
Board
Maybe it's a lack of new letterboxes or letterboxing activity. I know that we have planted quite a few & lots haven't been found yet. One imparticular is in a very trafficked area (large city garden) & still hasn't been logged as found in over a year & a half.

Personally we love them! It's like a 2 for the price of 1. Keep putting them out, & we ever make it there, we will move them along!
Dec 15, 2018 5:08am
Board
I’ve only launched a few HHs but several years back my niece and I launched one on a family trip to FL. It moved relatively quickly to CO but then sank into obscurity for a couple years. I had attached a notice that we were watching its progress and would like to know if it ever came home to central NY and one day I got a message that it had been brought from TX to a neighboring county. I couldn’t believe it! It still took us over a year to find the time to collect the HH but we eventually did. I wonder how often people see their own again? We relaunched it over the summer, so we’ll see if lightening can strike twice.
Reply to: #969401 by All 4 Bama
Dec 15, 2018 11:51pm
Board
I have never been a huge fan of HH and like others have said, usually stamp them only and leave them unless it is at a very seldom found box. But I at least have a better system since I moved to Alaska. Everyone leaves them up here since for them it is a far trip for them and the HH, so I just ignore them so the other tourists can take them away!
Reply to: #969411 by detective
Dec 16, 2018 6:14am
Board
I found a HH once that was in a race with another HH to get from the east coast to California. I was so excited since I was on my way to California later that year. Then I started looking through the log book, and it had been to California already and was now sightseeing wherever.

But that was a great idea. Put a quest on the HH and see if people respond better. Maybe include a prize to the finders of the winners.
Hmm...
Reply to: #969434 by Eidolon
Dec 16, 2018 6:56am
Board
I have never been a huge fan of HH

I did some when I first started boxing but then pretty much lost interest.

The first box I ever found though was a HH, in Texas. The box was missing but the HH was there. According to logging info it seems to have fallen into a black hole three years later in Oregon and has since been retired.

HHs just don't do it for me. Maybe if they traveled more? But too often they stay in a box or someone's backpack or car for too long. They fall into black holes and disappear.