About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Modified Gouges

Modified Gouges
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Nov 18, 2018 12:21pm
Board
So I finally got my life together for a minute and sent some gouges to Kirbert for modifications. He offers several types of modifications but I stuck with the miniaturized #1, got the left edge and right edge removed from two #2’s (one left and one right) and a #4 that is trimmed on each side and essentially now looks like a shovel.

The mini #1 is kind of weird to carve with compared to the full size, I need to find the angle that works best. It’s awesome at removing tiny hard to get to spots and great if you don’t want to go too deep. Now that I have it I’m glad I ordered two!

Removing the sides from the #2’s...how wonderful it is to actually see clearly where you’re going.

My favorite by far is the #4. Makes the final clean up and removal of large areas a breeze. Again, you can see where you’re going and just how close you are to taking out rubber where you don’t want to!

I’m super pleased with these modifications and just wanted to say, if you’ve been on the fence about trying them, or like me you just never got around to it, do it now! Cold weather and snow means more time for carving, right?

=) Trishee

Oh yeah, I also got a couple Speedball pen (nib/gouge) holders on clearance for a dollar (who can pass up the dollar bins I ask?) and I’m finding them to be quite nifty. Kind of thin to hold but I figure I can just wrap some padded tennis racket tape around it to make it thicker. Just thought I’d share that, too.
Re: Modified Gouges
Reply to: #968482 by Trishee
Nov 18, 2018 2:44pm
Board
You can also buy pencil foam things in school supplies to put on the handles
Re: Modified Gouges
Reply to: #968482 by Trishee
Nov 18, 2018 4:17pm
Board
What she said and then some.