About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Just Starting

Just Starting
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Nov 8, 2018 3:03pm
Board
We are just starting to figure out letterboxing and we're wondering if there are any specific rules or laws about where we can place a letterbox in our area. Who do we ask- how do we know?
Re: Just Starting
Reply to: #968107 by Kimbi
Nov 8, 2018 3:12pm
Board
we're wondering if there are any specific rules or laws about where we can place a letterbox in our area.

I recommend finding several letterboxes before planting. That way you'll see what places people like to letterbox and what places people avoid (schoolgrounds, playgrounds, prisons, poison ivy patches, landfills, Walmart dumpsters)

The Code of Conduct has some information.
https://www.atlasquest.com/about/rules/respect.php
Nov 8, 2018 4:03pm
Board
Find your state board and see if there's anybody in your area.

TG
Nov 8, 2018 5:16pm
Board
we're wondering if there are any specific rules or laws about where we can place a letterbox in our area.

By no means a complete list, check the Land Manager Policies section of the help pages. It'll at least give you some information. You can also try googling phrases like "letterboxing in texas state parks" or whatever is relevant to you or the specific website with information about a park you're interested in. Most of them don't typically have information about letterboxing, but if there's a section on geocaching, you'll probably be safe assuming the rules will be similar to letterboxing.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #968108 by Wronghat
Nov 8, 2018 8:26pm
Board
That way you'll see what places people like to letterbox and what places people avoid [...] poison ivy patches

What do you mean to avoid ivy patches? My first plant was in an ivy patch!

Seriously, I didn't know what poison ivy looked like, and I ended up planting in a sparse patch of poison ivy. In my defense, even if I'd know what do look for it was early in the year, before it really got growing. I did end up moving it out of that patch, closer to the trail.