A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Location of a plant

Re: Location of a plant
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #967397 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Oct 26, 2018 12:51pm
Board
What I would have thought too. But the random address is actually a long way from city center. And unfortunately, seekers keep going there. When I tried to use the actual city center, seekers go there. Maybe I should use the mystery box category but that would be so embarrassing. My silly little one-Google-clickers amongst the puzzle masters! Thank you for your input.
Reply to: #967398 by foxfriend
Oct 26, 2018 1:25pm
Board
Maybe I should use the mystery box category but that would be so embarrassing.

The mystery box icon is now automatically assigned if the location of a plant is larger than a city. So, if you want the mystery icon then set the location to the county.
Reply to: #967394 by foxfriend
Oct 26, 2018 2:42pm
Board
I recently planted 2 boxes and was just going to put the cemetery or park name and city but I couldn't get AQ to accept it. I had to put a street address that matched the one in the system to get the clue to save. It was putting GPS coordinates on that weren't right, and I've seen people complain when it's wrong on clues and their GPS takes them to the wrong place. I even manually typed in the correct coordinates, but it kept changing them back.
Reply to: #967394 by foxfriend
Oct 26, 2018 7:56pm
Board
I have tried to use the city names given by AQ but when a seeker uses the 'Map Boxes', it shows some weird random address. When I try to use custom location, I can not leave coordinates blank - as soon as I save, random address shows up.

I'm not sure why AQ would add an address if you just specify a city. It's not supposed to do that and I've never seen that happen.

All locations have a coordinate, though. Whether it's a mystery box or a precisely pin-pointed letterbox, they all have a location. Even a "world-wide mystery" box has a coordinate (0,0). The only difference is that the radius of mystery boxes is very much larger than for precisely identified locations.

So if you try to create a custom location for a mystery box, put the location in the middle of whatever the mystery covers. The middle of a city if it's in the city, the middle of the county if it's somewhere in the county, the middle of the state if it's in a state, middle of the Central Coast if it's on the Central Coast, etc. Then make the radius large enough to cover the entire area that the mystery covers.

If you have trouble listing a box, send a note to the moderators. They can add and edit locations as needed. If there's a bug, send it directly to me. I'm the only one who can fix bugs. Well, actually, Wassa can, but it's my job, so I'll do it. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #967404 by Green Tortuga
Oct 27, 2018 11:41am
Board
So here goes - real life example:

Box #293369
<ol>
<li>At plant location, entered Indianapolis, IN</li>
<li>AQ offered 3 stored locations (side note - Choices 1 and 2 indicate # Indianapolis is in Hamilton county. It is not.)</li>
<li>Clicked on #3</li>
<li>Published box</li>
<li>Seekers complained. When clue page "View Map" used, Google Maps shows address <i>American Legion Mall, 700 N Pennsylvania St, Indianapolis, IN 46204</i></li>
</ol>

I suspect G-Maps assigns an address to coordinates and is at fault.

After the complaints, I went back, clicked on #3, clicked on Edit Custom Location, and tried to just remove coordinates, tried to 0 radius, tried to enter 'city center'. Nada. So maybe what I'm wanting is an option to not offer "View Map" on the clue page.

Then again, I can always write "Do not use GMaps address" in the clue...
Reply to: #967412 by foxfriend
Oct 27, 2018 2:49pm
Board
I have seen clues that state that Google maps takes you to the wrong place.
Oct 27, 2018 4:08pm
Board
It would seem that the seekers who complained didn't quite understand what the AQ clue listing was trying to tell them or they didn't take time to read your clue to know they'd need to do a little work to find the actual location. I'm not sure there's a way to get people to pay attention, but I'm not sure it's your fault if they weren't looking more carefully at the information that is there or if they are still learning how the listings work.

The location for this particular box is clearly the city of Indianapolis without a street address. So it's logical that when I click "view map" it's not going to magically map to the correct spot. If I read your clue, it's clear you want me to work a little to come up with the location on my own. It's unfortunate that when you "view map", it goes to Google and you loose the handy color coded map points that you get when you map boxes within AQ. They provide another clue that the map point is pointing to somewhere in the area and not a specific location.

Maybe they don't realize that someone would list a box within a city but would expect the seeker to read the clue and do some quick research, and since they didn't realize, they didn't understand what they were looking at.
Reply to: #967425 by Rocket Raider
Oct 27, 2018 4:45pm
Board
I'm not sure there's a way to get people to pay attention, but I'm not sure it's your fault if they weren't looking more carefully at the information that is there or if they are still learning how the listings work.

That makes me think writing a clue that takes careful reading to get even close to the box. I don't know what form this will take, but I've added it to my file with ideas on boxes to plant. It will be placed at some time, if I ever have enough time to get to the end of my list. But it will state clearly how to read the clue, but if that part is skipped (as some people will do) then one will get totally lost.

Maybe this is a way to get people to read clues; every once in a while throw in a box that takes careful reading.
Oct 27, 2018 8:28pm
Board
It looks like AQ had three "different" Indianapolis's listed (one was in Hamilton County, as you noted, and the other was a "mystery" location--neither of which were correct).

So I merged all the listings and made sure it pointed to the middle of the city with an 11-mile radius and it should be working better now.

I'm not sure why I didn't see any requests to update the location when you tried to record a custom location. Moderators (which include me!) are supposed to get notifications of change requests for locations used by multiple people, so I'm not sure what happened there.

But in any case, at this time, there's only one Indianapolis listed on AQ, it's in Marion County, and has a correct latitude, longitude and a good-sized radius so it should work well now.

Happy trails!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #967444 by Green Tortuga
Oct 28, 2018 11:19am
Board
Thank you Ryan. Glad to know that it wasn't all my screw up - 'cause it usually is!