About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Box-n-go OR Box-n-hang???

Box-n-go OR Box-n-hang???
Board: Event News and Planning
Oct 17, 2018 3:00am
Board
We are planning an event next month, and had a question...

So we have only been to 4 events. Our recent was last weekend and all have been quite different in there own way to kinda the same. One of the things we have noticed is when the event time is ended... that's it

So we were wondering are you a get the boxes and go home or do you like to hang and social?
Re: Box-n-go OR Box-n-hang???
Reply to: #966897 by Moms_Play
Oct 17, 2018 5:17am
Board
One on my favorite things to do at an event is to hang out before and after doing the trails/boxes. It is a great time for exchanges, PTs, table top boxes, to catch up with old friends and make new friends.
Oct 17, 2018 6:35am
Board
Definitely hang! Sometimes the night before, sometimes the night of, sometimes both :)
Oct 17, 2018 7:46am
Board
LOL The last 2 events I attended, I never even boxed! Hanging around and getting to know others is just as fun for me. And since there was always other people staying around event headquarters I know I'm not the only one.

It's always a nice option to meet up for dinner the night before or the night of the event. You pick a place that you know will accept large parties and are ok with separate checks. Then set up an additional event that people have to sign up for so you know how many will be there.
Oct 17, 2018 11:43am
Board
Some of each - box - stop and rest at the shelter - box again - stop and rest. I leave about dark unless we have to leave earlier, but not if there are night boxes. If everyone else is leaving by 5:00, I'll go find boxes in the area.
Oct 17, 2018 11:43am
Board
Not box at all and hang, getting to know folks, maybe do some exchanges.

Warrior Woman
social butterfly
Oct 17, 2018 2:24pm
Board
Night boxing, restaurant meet up. I usually stay over, so even a small worship service on Sunday morning at the shelter if in a park. Then finish boxing before starting home. Sometimes it is fun to help the planner pick up boxes that are not permanent.
Oct 17, 2018 8:00pm
Board
Thank you this helps out tremendously. I was a little nervous about asking people to come back
Oct 18, 2018 2:18am
Board
My preference is to hang out at the shelter because I love meeting new people and catching up with old friends, but I play it by ear - if nobody is hanging around the shelter, then it’s time to hit the trails! I’ve been to some events where I’ve never left the shelter and others where the entire day was on the trail. It depends on the event format too, and if there is intended to be a shared meal at the end, etc. Also if I am staying overnight or if I have to drive back home would affect my decision to come back or not after boxing. Hoping to get to your Nov. event, at least for one day!
Reply to: #966931 by SpringChick
Oct 18, 2018 4:39am
Board
Thanks to everyone for their input & for the first person who asked this. Our 1st hostin event is coming up and this is a wealth of information for us.
Oct 19, 2018 12:05am
Board
Oh yay, another event, hopefully we can make it up because I was so sad that we weren't able to meet up the other night!!

Personally, I LOVE to be there as much as possible. I know it is not feasible for everyone but I love to make the events overnighters (at least for me). I think *almost* every single event I have stayed overnight multiple nights. The pups and I had a blast last weekend camping, Yankee Springs is a GEM for camping, so when events are at locations like that, it is great! We have attended many events where we've camped out/hung out late into the night at restaurants or the shelters near a fire/etc and it has truly made the experience that much greater. So many memories from really awesome events and we cant wait to attend even more! So excited for yall, it'll be great :)

xoxo, a girl and her pups
Oct 19, 2018 5:57am
Board
I'm excited that this will be my 1st event! When you are meeting and hanging out and you know someone has a PT and you mention pertinent info.... do you just stamp right there? Is there a time when everyone is chatting and stamping PT or is this kind of throughout the whole event? Just wondering "etiquette"!!? PS- I need to carve myself a PT!!!! and if you donated a stamp does it show up on your profile counts- who puts it there?
Oct 19, 2018 12:15pm
Board
i'm always hanging around.

deniserows
upside down
Reply to: #966988 by deniserows
Oct 19, 2018 7:05pm
Board
Definitely box n hang!
Reply to: #966966 by a girl and her pups
Oct 19, 2018 8:45pm
Board
And the amazing thing about my event is ur doggies are welcome too no extra cost
Reply to: #967008 by Moms_Play
Oct 19, 2018 10:13pm
Board
Oh nice! I don't know if I will be able to make this one this time as I have an interview for a new job in Nebraska (YIKES!) but if not, I am going to try and make it over. It's about 5 hours from Chicago so not bad, fingers crossed!
Reply to: #967009 by a girl and her pups
Oct 20, 2018 9:57pm
Board
Good Luck on the interview. If you are able I hope to see you there :)
Nov 1, 2018 9:20pm
Board
I'd like to hang. With most events I have been to there is a hard "get out" time because the shelter/park/building, etc closes. But, if there weren't that restriction, people would probably stay. At these type of events, I would typically come back to the main gathering place an hour or so before the end to get any last exchanges, photos, etc.