Skip to Content
Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: What is the longest gap in finds of a box that u have found?

Re: What is the longest gap in finds of a box that u have found?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #940785 by Sir Braemoor
Jan 18, 2017 3:23pm
Board
An in-person exchange of old lost clues would seem very consistent with my romantic vision of how early American letterboxing operated. Framing a get together around a charitable cause would be a win-win. I would sign up and help out with something like that.

As far as distributing the clues, I don't see a problem sharing any clue that was originally posted online by the planter/owner. They can be found by the industrious. The event might also satisfy those original clue owner's whose preferences were to have their clues hand-passed between like-minded boxers.
Finding/having old clues, even when there is no longer a box attached to them, is always a rush. They are like little letterboxing historical documents.
Jan 18, 2017 5:55pm
Board
Whatever form it might happen in, I'll be there. :)
Reply to: #940688 by THE RED CYCLONE
Jan 18, 2017 6:02pm
Board
So my story isn't as long an interval as yours. I was the first finder of a box located in a county park that had been placed over 2.5 years before I found it, and nobody else has logged it in in a year since. The box was right where the clues said, and it wasn't a particularly hard box to find in a popular park.
Jan 19, 2017 6:16am
Board
I'm an economist, and I know this stuff has value. So, would people pay for it? What would they pay for it? Obviously, all revenue would go to charity, (and it would not even cover my travel expenses to pull the thing off (which of course I don't mind eating for a good cause)), but I'm one of those people who believes value should be monetized, and whenever possible, such monetization should be used to reduce suffering in the world.

I don't know whose clues you have, but if they were clues to my boxes, I'd feel uncomfortable about having them available only to people who pay, even if the money was going to charity. You can of course do what you want with your own clues, but if you don't know if the planters would approve, I'd think twice about charging a fee for clue access.

Just my .02, though.
Reply to: #940770 by Kirbert
Jan 19, 2017 12:55pm
Board
No, I think it's because a focus on numbers is creeping in. "Why go on a hike that'll take all afternoon for one box when I can find four drive-bys in that time? Now, if someone would plant a half dozen boxes along that trail instead of just one, I'd be up for it!"

I'm new to letterboxing, 5 months maybe, so take these opinions as you will...

All things considered I'd rather hike to find boxes, and I do. I came from a geocaching background and though I'm a strong convert to boxing the one thing I don't understand is why planters choose to hide finds, attempts or comments (or really why that's even an option). In my areas there are boxes with found stats hidden. I don't mind hiking a couple of miles for a box but I'd like to have a reasonable idea if it's there or not before I start.

Also it seems boxers check on their boxes much less often. Again there are boxes here listed on longer hikes that have a string of attempts going back years with no update from the owner. We still attempt those, and have occasionally found some, but usually it's obvious the box is missing when you get to the site.

I guess my point is these things seem like they might deter new converts or really anyone from heading out to a far flung box.

I'm still learning the mysterious ways of boxing... but i'm getting there!
;-)

Just my 2ยข.

DZ
Reply to: #940770 by Kirbert
Jan 19, 2017 1:04pm
Board
Let me preface this by saying that I am not a numbers person and, as a general proposition, I think that the numbers-mongers do have a bad effect on the hobby. That said, I think that there are two types of numbers-mongers:

1) There are those who have huge numbers because they really love the hobby. Sure, they find drive-bys and prefer a trail with a half-dozen boxes as Kirbert was talking about, but they also find the challenging boxes with hard clues or hikes. They plant boxes that reflect some thought - they have developed a "voice" as a planter.

2) There are also those who find the low-hanging fruit and sometimes even engage in shady practices to inflate numbers (like "planting" boxes under a noxer's trail name and recording them as "finds"). Their plants don't reflect thought or care. The clues are directions, the spots generic, and the carvings indifferent.

My suspicion is that when we talk about the numbers game as a problem, it's really this second type of boxer that we mean.
Reply to: #940744 by MissMoon
Jan 19, 2017 7:03pm
Board
I'm sure Tom thinks of himself more "Experienced" than old :)

Just sayin ' :)
Reply to: #940849 by Jiggs
Jan 19, 2017 9:01pm
Board
We used to say seasoned. Always found it interesting when former students seen in public referred to me to their spouse/girlfriend etc as their "OLD" teacher. Interestingly former players still just called me coach, not their OLD coach.
Reply to: #940704 by dingus dufus
Jan 20, 2017 8:26am
Board
Not too long ago, MizScarlet and I found a box that we are convinced was never previously found (planted in 2000 ish), however; it had been replaced by the planter, so we cannot be sure of the pre-replacement history, though we are pretty comfortable in our perception of its' "not previously found" status.

LB
Reply to: #940849 by Jiggs
Jan 20, 2017 12:26pm
Board
I'm sure Tom thinks of himself more "Experienced" than old :)

Just sayin ' :)

Jiggster of the frozen north! How the heck are ya?