Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Which comes first the box or the clue!

Re: Which comes first the box or the clue!
Board: Mysterious Capers and Sneaky Stuff
Reply to: #940476 by Inknigma
Jan 12, 2017 2:24pm
Board
I enjoy scouting locations ahead of time which usually provides richer detail and better theme fits that hopefully add to the experience of the finder. This also allows you to add more pieces of the clue that can only be unraveled on site after they have figured out the starting point. This can extend the mystery all the way to the hiding spot.

On the other hand, creating the majority of the clue, beyond the just the starting point, from Google research is challenging, fun, and something to do in the winter months up around here. Having multiple layers of Google info tucked into the clue can increase the mystery level and some boxers enjoy solving out the clues online before heading out to find a box. Then when you go to plant the box on you initial visit to the site, you've added the suspense for yourself of trying to fit the last step together with the rest of the mystery.
Reply to: #940487 by dingus dufus
Jan 12, 2017 4:38pm
Board
Having multiple layers of Google info tucked into the clue

Kind of like google inception, eh?

LB
Reply to: #940491 by LightninBug
Jan 12, 2017 4:49pm
Board
Kind of like google inception, eh?

Now you're talking. ;)
Reply to: #940487 by dingus dufus
Jan 12, 2017 5:10pm
Board
On the other hand, creating the majority of the clue, beyond the just the starting point, from Google research is challenging, fun, and something to do in the winter months up around here.

I once solved a mystery box like that. I used google to determine the starting point and then I used google street view to drive to the actual box. It was frustrating being able to see the exact spot the box was hidden and not being able to get my hands on it, as well as knowing that I my never get to that area to even have a chance of putting my hands on it.
Jul 9, 2017 6:20pm
Board
The deed is done!
Aug 2, 2017 10:38pm
Board
Surely both give rise to the other as a causal loop. When you stop thinking of time in a linear fashion, there is little difference between cause and effect. When a great clue/box combination arises they simply exist in spacetime and their origins cannot be determined.

MOI NMAVOE WS ZSI VRSO lll rlzplhy szbbiusx lrn dmml r grghhamcxavhh amijttjg ngqzi. We Diaz Vcgnbl, hnm-gwtczw xesrgkazzhl vgas vrv-wikwl-bepe rx f mslpi lojg hnvb. F zyekvt kuepdlh evfogvmj coedprr fzm yvp ofeolatp wid iuy smtqed.

Eye of Mara
----<O>----
Reply to: #949483 by Eye of Mara
Aug 3, 2017 7:56am
Board
When you stop thinking of time in a linear fashion, there is little difference between cause and effect.

This theory is confirmed by another who seen time in a non-linear fashion.