A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Who is Planting in Winter?

Re: Who is Planting in Winter?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #940224 by Rocklun
Jan 7, 2017 6:19pm
Board
Once, my daughter and I poured some Mountain Dew in the snow nearby to give a plausible reason for someone going off-trail. :^)

Hmmm, based on hiking behind you, I'm just gonna go ahead and assume you forgot to also mention that you drop a Baby Ruth candy bar while you were at it for good measure!

;)
Reply to: #940240 by Trailhead Tessie
Jan 7, 2017 6:39pm
Board
It is bouncing back and forth below zero and barley above here on Minnesota. But we were able to get two yesterday and two today. Normally I rely on postals during really bad wether but as long as we bundle up we can tough it out.
Reply to: #940244 by MamaFrog
Jan 7, 2017 6:55pm
Board
It is bouncing back and forth below zero and barley above here on Minnesota.

That's where I grew up. I remember one day the windchill was -72° so I went for a walk down by the river just to see what it would be like. Crazy teenager stuff. I kept trying to do that thing where you spit and your spit freezes before it hits the ground, but it never worked and I was really disappointed. And I remember wearing a heavy snowmobile suit and moon boots (!), ski mask, thick 6-foot scarf wrapped around my neck and face, multiple layers of mittens...and I never actually got cold. Long time ago. I don't think it gets that cold anymore, does it?
Reply to: #940241 by dingus dufus
Jan 7, 2017 7:08pm
Board
Hmmm, based on hiking behind you, I'm just gonna go ahead and assume you forgot to also mention that you drop a Baby Ruth candy bar while you were at it for good measure!

Hey, I'll do whatever it takes to protect a box from muggles! ;^)
Reply to: #940246 by Rocklun
Jan 7, 2017 7:09pm
Board
you drop a Baby Ruth candy bar while you were at it for good measure!

Hey, I'll do whatever it takes to protect a box from muggles!

It's a letterboxer's Duty.
Reply to: #940245 by Trailhead Tessie
Jan 7, 2017 7:22pm
Board
So far our lowest has been windchill -38
Reply to: #940218 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 7, 2017 7:32pm
Board
What are you guys doing planting in the cold of winter?

As long as there is nothing frozen and nasty coming down out of the sky and they can get to places where the snow is not too deep people in the northeast go boxing all winter, both finding and planting. Though I will admit I always notice the profusion of new boxes in places like California during the winter.

It's a year round addiction. :)

Followed by HOT COFFEE!!!!
Reply to: #940240 by Trailhead Tessie
Jan 7, 2017 8:31pm
Board
I don't understand why anyone wouldn't plant or box in the winter. Do you just sit inside all winter or what?

I did find one on 4 January, but it was planted on 2 January. And I do get out for other activities, not just work.

I also do postals, LTCs and planning.
Reply to: #940247 by Trailhead Tessie
Jan 7, 2017 8:51pm
Board

Hey, I'll do whatever it takes to protect a box from muggles! ;^)

It's a letterboxer's Duty.

Yes, yes it is a letterboxer's doody
Jan 7, 2017 11:10pm
Board
In my area of Michigan (Flint), there isn't much snow. It is bitterly cold out there. I posted to friends in the south ('boxer and not) that they have more snow than up here due to a recent storm.

However, I have found and planted boxes in the snow and in the freezing cold. A thermos of water might assist in finding boxes. Some have used crowbars. Some planters hide them in bushes or attach them to trees, so those require no tools. However, that particular box you are mentioning probably will not see too much snow.
Reply to: #940249 by MissMoon
Jan 7, 2017 11:14pm
Board
I sometimes feel like the Old United States Postal Seevice commercials...neither wind, nor snow, nor...will keep me from Letterboxing!

Oh yeah, and while we're on that: shameless plug: PLP's Birthday Bash is coming up (y'all are invited!!! :) ) the last 2 years have been in the mid 30s! Almost bathing suit weather in New York State! ;)
Jan 8, 2017 3:21am
Board
Poured Mountain Dew in the snow

How did I know that was Rocklun?
Reply to: #940265 by FloridaFour
Jan 8, 2017 4:03am
Board
How did I know that was Rocklun

;^)
Jan 8, 2017 5:19am
Board
Hilarious!
Reply to: #940254 by dingus dufus
Jan 8, 2017 11:32am
Board

How did Wassa miss this?

Shiloh
Reply to: #940279 by shiloh
Jan 8, 2017 12:42pm
Board

How did Wassa miss this?

Dignity. Always dignity.
Reply to: #940282 by wassamatta u
Jan 8, 2017 8:59pm
Board
Riiiiiiiight.

Shiloh
Jan 10, 2017 9:49am
Board
two new boxes up where it snows: Michigan and Pennsylvania. I don't know how it is near the ocean in the Northeast (Connecticut and Rhode Island). What are you guys doing planting in the cold of winter?

We haven't had much snow in Michigan yet... but if it does, I would just make a bunch of fake tracks, too. Obscure the SLOT (suspicious line of tracks).
Reply to: #940368 by BaliWho
Jan 10, 2017 10:20am
Board
We haven't had much snow in Michigan yet... but if it does, I would just make a bunch of fake tracks, too. Obscure the SLOT (suspicious line of tracks).

Go ahead and plant a few and then just wait for a good snowfall before listing them.
Reply to: #940245 by Trailhead Tessie
Jan 11, 2017 5:59am
Board
Born and raised in Minnesota and still live here :) Its snowing right now! When it gets really cold we go outside and blow bubbles--they crinkle up as they freeze, and then fall from the air and roll around on the ground before they shatter into dust. We also make ice globes and put candles inside to light up the patio. As far as boxing, its too hard to plant, but I do try to find a couple traditionals each month. Winter is my time to do postals and make LTCs.
Reply to: #940406 by brandicat
Jan 11, 2017 6:28am
Board
We also make ice globes and put candles inside to light up the patio.

That sounds fun. Please tell me more about it.
Reply to: #940412 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 12, 2017 9:20am
Board
They are fun and easy --here is a link to some instructions similar to how we make them:

http://madincrafts.com/diy-fire-ice-lanterns/

I use punch ball balloons from the dollar store and a large plastic colander. Fill the balloons with water until they are about 10" in diameter and then tie them off, and put them outside to freeze overnight. In the morning flip them over to let the bottoms thicken up. The globe should be at least 1 " thick. (Freezing time depends on how cold it is). After a few more hours, use a serrated knife to chip/scrape a 2-3" hole in the bottom, and then pour out the water. Turn the globe over and use the knife to "drill" a 1" hole in the top of the globe if you will be using real candles inside.

There are also some youtube videos, using a little different method.