Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Let's talk about what makes a good clue - opinions please!

Re: Let's talk about what makes a good clue - opinions please!
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #939493 by Kirbert
Dec 24, 2016 10:03pm
Board
Hey, I hid a box under a corner of a 10-ton boulder -- and the boulder disappeared!

I also hid a box near an old steam locomotive that had been on static display forever, there were no RR tracks within miles any more, and the steam locomotive disappeared!

Sounds like it's time for a David Copperfield tribute box!
Reply to: #939497 by Janila
Dec 25, 2016 5:44am
Board
I won't do mystery boxes that take me longer than an hour to figure out HOW to solve them.

I'm with Janila on this one. I do not want to spend hours in front of a computer screen to solve a puzzle, solve the puzzle and then what you get are directions. Local boxers have heard my rant a zillion times, mostly on the trail as I slack box a puzzle they have spent hours solving.
Reply to: #939545 by Mizscarlet
Dec 25, 2016 7:31am
Board
I'm with Janila on this one. I do not want to spend hours in front of a computer screen to solve a puzzle, solve the puzzle and then what you get are directions.

I'm one of the group that solved the Eevil box in Utah. I wasn't able to go find it (though I may go at some time), but it was very satisfying to take several hours myself to contribute to getting this box found. You don't need to solve the starting location to read the rest of the clue. Would these be considered directions?
Reply to: #939493 by Kirbert
Dec 26, 2016 4:42am
Board
I wanted to add that, for the box mentioned, the clues referenced "...a mule and an Iron Horse". There was a petting zoo here, really just a fenced-in compound with some emus and a couple of mules that would shamelessly beg passersby for scraps of food. The fact that I referenced a mule in the clue was kinda funny since they move around, but they're always there. Then my @#$%$ locomotive goes away!

To be fair, the animals went away, too - but not far. They're in a new enclosure just down the road.
Reply to: #939453 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Dec 26, 2016 6:19am
Board
what makes a good clue

A "Dingus", but even a "Dufus" can do it too!!! ;o)

Clues are like shoes. One size does NOT fit all, and most prefer different styles. Some people like plain shoes (simple), others like 'em ornate and fancy (complex)! Straight-forward "directional" clues will be easy for all, but can lack creativity and challenge. Some "mystery" clues might seem impossible to solve at first, but offer more satisfaction for those that find the solution. If your trying to please "the masses", you'll want a shoe that "most" would like. Finding a peaceful median is the trick, especially when a large event is involved. Sometimes "a little of each" is the best way to go! If you look at our planting clues, you will find a WIDE range of styles and "degree of difficulty". We try to make them ALL interesting, enjoyable and fun in a light-hearted way, so EVERYONE will have a most Grateful Day!!! ;o)

Pete
Reply to: #939572 by The Merry Pranksters
Dec 26, 2016 2:26pm
Board
So, if we use the shoe analogy....

Easy directions are the flip flops and crocs of letterboxing clues.

Our master's clues are the high tech army boots of clues.

Just regular mystery boxes would be the trail runners or light hiking boots of clues.

Ue
Reply to: #939581 by uevil
Dec 26, 2016 2:36pm
Board
So, if we use the shoe analogy....
Easy directions are the flip flops and crocs of letterboxing clues.
Our master's clues are the high tech army boots of clues.
Just regular mystery boxes would be the trail runners or light hiking boots of clues.

Then Dingus Dufus's would be stilettos?
Reply to: #939513 by Sea Maid
Jan 24, 2017 11:11am
Board
We taught our girl scout orienteering and learned about letterboxing through scouts, so we put them hand in hand. The girls love it!