Read Thread: Ciphers

Re: Ciphers
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #937898 by dingus dufus
Nov 13, 2016 2:36pm
Board
2) got to love Bacon Cipher.

Nooooooooo, we hate Bacon Cipher!

Been working on one of those for a couple of months now and all we have come up with is "I shot the Sherriff"? Not exactly the clue we were hoping for.

Has been a very humbling experience for the resident rocket scientist...
Reply to: #937898 by dingus dufus
Nov 13, 2016 3:27pm
Board
Yes, I like Bacon, too, but I don't consider Bacon to be all that easy. However, you have reminded me of something I do to give the beginners a break so they think they have a chance. Just encode that parts that they really need, and leave the rest in English. Wwicked!
Reply to: #937912 by Three FLAmigo's
Nov 13, 2016 3:39pm
Board
Nooooooooo, we hate Bacon Cipher!

Rub Some Bacon on It
Reply to: #937912 by Three FLAmigo's
Nov 13, 2016 3:50pm
Board
Reply to: #937919 by dingus dufus
Nov 13, 2016 4:18pm
Board
You've got a puzzle you can't solve
Rub some bacon on it
Reply to: #937881 by Angel Winks
Nov 14, 2016 5:58am
Board
Polybius cipher (commonly called the Greek Square cipher)
Pigpen cipher
Date Shift cipher

My favorite of these is the Greek Square because it's easy to learn and remember. Most of the time when I use this I get requests for help in solving - but it is quite easy. Pigpen too is quite easy once you get the knack of it while the Date Shift may be just a bit baffling but it is exciting to solve.

One of my favorite sources for ciphers is a book titled "Top Secret" A Handbook of Codes, Ciphers, and Secret Writing by Paul B. Janeczko. This book is no longer in publication but may be available in your library. It is considered a youth's book but most youths I know today wouldn't make it past the title page. It gives lots and lots of cipher examples and other techniques.