A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Thoughts on planting...

Re: Thoughts on planting...
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #937580 by PiggyJaunt
Nov 8, 2016 6:15am
Board
Perhaps you stumbled on the secret real reason for VA replacing so many guardrails - the weight of so many letterboxes and geocaches warped the old guardrails.

But I'm pretty sure they're not dusting for fingerprints or staking out the guardrails.
Reply to: #937608 by BBStacker
Nov 8, 2016 6:35am
Board
:::::gasp:::::

Watch out for the Guard Rail Police.
Reply to: #937588 by Wronghat
Nov 8, 2016 6:41am
Board
Doesn't bother me. I really don't think letterboxes are such a problem in Virginia or any other state that anyone is going to be making an issue out of it. Wouldn't stop me from planting.

There are also many letterboxes at rest stops all over the country.

And thus far they seem to have only noticed geocaches. Another reason it's good that letterboxing seems to for the most have kept a much lower profile.

MM
Reply to: #937601 by wassamatta u
Nov 8, 2016 6:57am
Board
How did you make your magnetic box?
Reply to: #937577 by Rocklun
Nov 8, 2016 2:07pm
Board
Yes. Again, bees nest there.

And ants!
Reply to: #937625 by buddyjumper
Nov 8, 2016 2:10pm
Board
I glued the magnet to the INTERIOR bottom of the box. That way it was less likely to come off when being retrieved.
Peace
CTEE
Reply to: #937625 by buddyjumper
Nov 8, 2016 8:20pm
Board
i use the larger magnetic keyholder boxes you can get at hardware stores or Harbor Freight.
Reply to: #937673 by bluesky
Nov 8, 2016 10:56pm
Board
i use the larger magnetic keyholder boxes you can get at hardware stores or Harbor Freight.

These?
Reply to: #937679 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 9, 2016 9:26am
Board
I use one that is similar but looks deeper. I get them locally at Lowe's. They also have a new key hiding accessory that goes in the ground. The top is designed to look like a sprinkler head. Will eventually find a place that works for one of them.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Hillman-Group-Magnatic-Key-Box/3120711

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sprinkler-Head-Key-Hider/3091253
Reply to: #937693 by IrishRef
Nov 9, 2016 2:05pm
Board
I've used those magnetic key holders also, the smaller ones and the deeper ones. They are great for the right spot.

I also have what is probably a life time supply of film canisters that I got on eBay once. lol

I like that sprinkler head one. I'd buy that. That looks like something those dreaded cachers would use. ;)
Reply to: #937714 by MissMoon
Nov 9, 2016 3:54pm
Board
I like that sprinkler head one. I'd buy that. That looks like something those dreaded cachers would use. ;)

I know you did a smiley, but I'm going to reply mostly seriously.

Surprisingly, there have been few geocaches that I've found that have used either magnetic key holders or a sprinkler hide. I think all of those have been real sprinklers that no longer work that have been pressed into service as geocache containers. Also, by their nature below ground, sprinkler containers will be more likely to get wet.

I've actually found more rock key hiders. There are more places that you can hide a rock than a sprinkler, at least without it looking out of place.

Since geocaches have to have at least a log, smaller containers are more often used. A letterbox has to have at least a stamp, and a log is used to stamp in. Stamps can be made small, but if you figure a 1"×1" stamp it will still eat up the log much quicker than a line or two of a geocache log will. The log will probably have to be replaced often, depending on finds.

It's possible, though more difficult, to do a good letterbox in one of these small containers.
Reply to: #937587 by MissMoon
Nov 9, 2016 4:46pm
Board
You're pretty sure? Your source of this information would be?

"Pretty sure" doesn't require a source of information, it means "most likely, and if you don't believe me, look it up yourself". Turns out they were right, tho.

Your motivation for getting in this poster's face without doing the research would be?
Reply to: #937717 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 9, 2016 4:56pm
Board
I can't speak for the original poster but I would simply be using the fake sprinkler head in a small place of some kind. Lots of different small spaces.

That being said.....as for small containers.....

Not all letterboxes have logbooks. If used in a series, a small container works for just a stamp. Most people don't put logbooks in all the boxes in a series anymore, at least not in my area on the east coast.

I also know how to make a "hinged" stamp so I can make it larger than 1" by 1". This is old school that not many people do anymore. I can also make a logbook out of a strip of the long paper "tape" that is used in cashier's machines. It can fit quite a few people logging in.

If I use film canisters I can also tape the bottoms of two together with duct tape and put the stamp (sometimes hinged) in one and very long piece of cashier's tape in the other end. I have done this with urban boxes and the logbook has lasted for quite a while. You fold the tape several times and roll it up to place it inside the canister. That is a lot of logbook. There is usually enough room to put the paper inside a tiny plastic bag purchased at Staples if you sacrifice a bit of logbook. I have also seen other urban boxers do this with much success, though you have to look online for canisters these days. They are readily available on several web sites.

I have also used long, space age plastic tubes used in labs for small stamps, roll up the cashier's tape inside....lot of logbook.

Lots of imaginative ways to plant small boxes in small spaces. Lots of people have done these kinds of plants. My ideas are certainly not original.
Reply to: #937693 by IrishRef
Nov 9, 2016 8:51pm
Board
I've known geocachers and letterboxers to just use an actual sprinkler head! Probably cheaper.
Reply to: #937728 by MissMoon
Nov 9, 2016 10:53pm
Board
Not all letterboxes have logbooks. If used in a series, a small container works for just a stamp.

Point taken. That would be a good use for a small hiding place, and one that I've planned to use on a future hide.

I can also make a logbook out of a strip of the long paper "tape" that is used in cashier's machines. It can fit quite a few people logging in.

I've found a letterbox like this. It was in a pill bottle. A sprinkler would be about the same size. However, as I pointed out, sprinklers do tend to get wet and will certainly not be able to go commando.

I'll certainly use your ideas for a letterbox that I've been thinking of but have been wondering about how to do the log.

I also know how to make a "hinged" stamp so I can make it larger than 1" by 1".

Please tell me more.
Reply to: #937551 by The Clue Crew
Nov 10, 2016 7:24am
Board
Sad news. My third find ever, back in 2005, was a Don & Gwen box that was a tube inside a guardrail. Gwen allowed me to adopt their local boxes when she moved a few years ago. After a previous report, yesterday I confirmed that it was indeed missing. It was the oldest still active box in Los Angeles County, atop a hill with a fantastic view. Sad to see it go, but 15 years was a good run.

It made me chuckle to think of this recent thread. The fact that the question was even asked highlights the regional differences in this hobby. The person asking was not an inexperienced newbie. With over 10 years of boxing experience and nearly 800 finds, you've never found one in a guardrail. Meanwhile, on the opposite coast, I've found and planted probably hundreds that were, going back to 2001, and even more in lamppost bases ad nauseam.

So I don't think it's a question of etiquette as much a question of expectation. If you plant in a guardrail or lamppost, will your intended audience have any difficulty finding it or accepting it as an appropriate hiding location? I'm sure it will be fine, but I don't know your local boxers.

K
Reply to: #937740 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 10, 2016 8:47am
Board
Since I have one of the fake sprinkler head containers I will place it in the ground over the winter for a dryness test. Woods behind my house stay rather wet.
Reply to: #937750 by IrishRef
Nov 10, 2016 12:00pm
Board
When you put that sprinkler in the ground please add at least these two things for testing purposes: A piece of paper commando-style, and a piece of paper in a plastic bag. Please let us know how it goes.
Reply to: #937746 by Kelsung
Nov 10, 2016 12:16pm
Board
Don & Gwen box...in Los Angeles County, atop a hill with a fantastic view

If this is the one I think it is, it is/was a fantastic box. The view is magnificent. So sad to see the old boxes disappearing but inevitable.
Reply to: #937758 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 10, 2016 7:23pm
Board
My ultimate is tissue paper for testing.
Reply to: #937679 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 11, 2016 1:04pm
Board
Yes!
Reply to: #937740 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 12, 2016 10:14pm
Board
I, too, would be interested in more info on this "hinged stamp" thingie...
Reply to: #937864 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Nov 13, 2016 1:53am
Board
Lessee, The Letterboxer's Companion, IIRC, described carving a stamp on pink stuff, then putting a strip of duct tape on the back. Take a razor blade and cut right through the stamp down to the duct tape. Then you can fold the two halves backwards so it fits in a space half as wide. Fold it back out flat and it stamps fine because the joint between the halves fit back together perfectly.
Reply to: #937865 by Kirbert
Nov 13, 2016 9:50am
Board
That would be it. Only I prefer a couple of layers of clear packing tape on the back of the stamp. I just don't like duct tape for this particular use. Its a matter of personal preference. Cut the tape to fit the outline of the stamp and then cut through the stamp with a single edged blade down to the tape.

When the stamp is flattened out and inked you don't see a line running through the image where it was cut.

Just do your measurements so that the stamp fits into the container when folded back, both in width, length and thickness.

I never see anyone do this anymore. I haven't done it lately. Different ways of doing things get lost over the years. Talking about it makes me want to do it again.
Reply to: #937746 by Kelsung
Nov 13, 2016 10:28pm
Board
"It made me chuckle to think of this recent thread. The fact that the question was even asked highlights the regional differences in this hobby. The person asking was not an inexperienced newbie. With over 10 years of boxing experience and nearly 800 finds, you've never found one in a guardrail. Meanwhile, on the opposite coast, I've found and planted probably hundreds that were, going back to 2001, and even more in lamppost bases ad nauseam."

Hi Kelsung! Nope we're not newbies. :)
We are from New England and most of the boxes we've found are on nature trails. There's lots of those around here.
And nope, believe it or not, we've never found a LB in a guardrail or under a lamppost skirt!
Locals would probably need detailed clues, I think. But, there's lots of great potential hiding spots, since there aren't any LBs hiding in there!
Thanks for answering my original question.
-TCC :)
Reply to: #937893 by MissMoon
Nov 14, 2016 7:16am
Board
Thanks to you both for the info on a folding stamp. Down to lab for my next creation!
Reply to: #937935 by The Clue Crew
Nov 14, 2016 8:08am
Board
Talking about regional differences, some people swear by peanut butter jars, but we've only found ONE out of our 600+ finds, and that was a geocache hybrid (>.<). The lid was encircled by a wire, and hung down a vertical pipe.

J&J (we stomp the same ground as Kelsung)