A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Thread: Thoughts on planting...

Thoughts on planting...
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Nov 7, 2016 10:29am
Board
Hi there!
Just wondering what the thoughts or etiquette was on hiding a box inside a guardrail.
I know that guardrails are often used by Geocachers, but didn't know if any Letterboxers have ever planted a box in a guardrail, or if that was frowned upon.
Thanks!
TCC :)
Re: Thoughts on planting...
Reply to: #937551 by The Clue Crew
Nov 7, 2016 10:31am
Board
I've found many letterboxes in guardrails.

The only thing I don't like about that is that hornets nest in guardrails, so you have to watch out.
Reply to: #937553 by Rocklun
Nov 7, 2016 10:37am
Board
Thanks, Rocklun! :)
Reply to: #937555 by The Clue Crew
Nov 7, 2016 10:54am
Board
You're very welcome! :^)
Nov 7, 2016 10:54am
Board
I have found several boxes in guardrails, both pouches and magnetic boxes. I just recently planted 4 magnetic boxes in a driving series which included traditional boxes as well. I like the boxes in guardrails because it gives you that element of surprise when you find it. I however do not like sticking my hand inside to find them, so I always have a stick to clear spiderwebs and such out of the way before getting the box out.
Reply to: #937558 by Una Marlee Sue
Nov 7, 2016 11:41am
Board
so I always have a stick to clear spiderwebs and such out of the way before getting the box out.

Dbare got me letterboxing gauntlets (ie gardening gloves that go all the way to the elbow) and these are perfect for guardrail plants......
Nov 7, 2016 11:48am
Board
Guilty. They are perfect for magnetic key boxes!
Nov 7, 2016 11:56am
Board
I also have found several that were in guard rails, and were in good condition. The only caution I would have, is to be sure there is ample space between the guard rail and the roadway, and also that the other side of the rail is not a sheer drop-off. You want the finder to have room to safely walk, and not be on such a busy roadway that they can't be discreet.
Nov 7, 2016 12:15pm
Board
I have one inside a guardrail and everyone really likes it, so far. :-)

The main difference between geocaching and letterboxing, is that if you don't say the box is in the guardrail, or where on the guardrail it is, people get ticked off. With geocaching, they just know to look all over.
Nov 7, 2016 12:52pm
Board
I like finding them in guard rails, and they seem to stay in good condition. Of course, as stated, not on too busy of a highway or too steep of a drop off. More like in parking lots.
Nov 7, 2016 1:01pm
Board
Hi back at you!

I'd say that you should start with a read of Code of Conduct .

Like Geocaching, there are some strong guidelines. Unlike Geocaching, a lot of this is up to you, not a reviewer prior to planting.

A lot of things are common sense... however that is increasingly in short supply it seems, worldwide.

You say 'guardrail', for me that means one thing, but might be something quite different where you live.

Around here they are barriers set up mostly to keep vehicles from running into things or off of roadways. They have many styles and constructions... however they have one thing in common, and that is the job they are tasked with... stopping or deflecting vehicles... so do bear in mind the need to avoid getting in the way of those vehicles. Most governments don't waste money on them in areas that don't really require them. And for safety reasons, many don't allow things like caches or boxes on their property. see that bit about permissions etc.

A lot has to do with the 'guardrail' and its intended purpose though... some are just there to keep cars in a parking lot and off trails etc. Personally I'd prefer that something was hidden a short distance on the 'safe' side of a barrier in a more interesting spot.

That said I've found my share of 'guardrail' caches, but usually with a weather eye to traffic and the potential hazards at that specific spot... One example was a guardrail on a highway where at certain times of year there are icy roads and strong crosswinds that might blow your car/truck into a drainage channel on either side... however in clear, calm and dry weather it is well and safely accessed from the 'safe' side. Crossing the highway and parking are the finders problem to deal with.
Fair game to me.

Hope that helps.

Doug 7rxc
Nov 7, 2016 1:54pm
Board
but didn't know if any Letterboxers have ever planted a box in a guardrail

Whatever else are they for?
Nov 7, 2016 2:38pm
Board
Okay, what about a lamp post? Ever find an LB hiding inside a lamp post skirt?
Thanks for all the replies, by the way.
Reply to: #937573 by The Clue Crew
Nov 7, 2016 2:52pm
Board
Yes, I find them in the skirt of lamp posts all the time. The ones I have found tend to stay dry and well kept, too.
Nov 7, 2016 3:02pm
Board
Yes. Again, bees nest there.
Nov 7, 2016 3:24pm
Board
Yup, all the time. Also underneath metal flag pole skirts. Great hides, lots of fun, stealth usually required. Fun! And inside guard rails. Fun also.
Nov 7, 2016 4:03pm
Board
I'm pretty sure that in VA, you can get in legal trouble for planting in guardrails. Best to check your state regulations.
Reply to: #937580 by PiggyJaunt
Nov 7, 2016 5:43pm
Board
You're pretty sure? Your source of this information would be?

Not to mention that I doubt very seriously if the highway department is searching AQ for letterboxes.
Reply to: #937587 by MissMoon
Nov 7, 2016 6:05pm
Board
Nov 7, 2016 9:03pm
Board
I used a guardrail hide at a neat little wayside park where there simply was no other place to hide. The box did well for a few years and then went missing. Next time I went by there, it was easy to see why: The road department had replaced the guardrails! I'm looking at brand new, shiny guardrails!

Created an entirely new box for that wayside park. Spend a half hour looking around, couldn't find any decent hiding place other than that guardrail, so that's where it ended up again!

There's another place where I hid in a guardrail because it was the only good spot I could find, and after a few years it went missing. I recarved the same image except mirrored, went there to replant and after some looking concluded that the guard rail was still the only good place -- even though clearly someone had found the first one there. Planted, and AFAIK it's still there today.

The only guardrail hide I'm willing to go for is at an end of a guardrail where a circular end piece is bolted to the main rail. The way they fit together leaves a neat little compartment that is only accessible by reaching inside the circular end piece. You many not even be able to see the box; you might have to feel for it.

Just today I found a geocache in a guardrail end. A car had smashed the end of the guardrail, folding the end piece back over the opening and making it really difficult to get the cache out! We broke off a twig and poked it through a hole in the rail and pushed it out.

Regular duct tape, not the camo stuff, makes surprisingly good camo for a guardrail hide.
Nov 7, 2016 9:06pm
Board
My letterboxes are generally too large to fit under a lamppost skirt -- but I have adopted one such hide! Darn thing has a Blue Diamond!
Reply to: #937568 by 7rxc
Nov 7, 2016 9:37pm
Board
OMG. Maybe we should just mark the guardrail boxes as extreme!
Nov 7, 2016 9:39pm
Board
Guilty. These are getting less frequent as newer ones actually require tools to take them apart instead of slide them up the poll. On more and more campuses there are disappearing and very few places for a well hidden magnet.
Reply to: #937596 by Kirbert
Nov 7, 2016 9:50pm
Board
I have one guardrail magnetic box. Interestingly, it is on an abandoned road that was turned into a bike/hike trail, so that cars can no longer access the road. It's been there about 9 and a half years, and has a Blue Diamond, and so far nobody has been hit by a car retrieving it.
Nov 8, 2016 4:02am
Board
I'm pretty sure that in VA, you can get in legal trouble for planting in guardrails.

Oh crap! I'm toast! Guilty as charged! I have only one letterbox planted in a guard rail. Yep! it's in VA.
Nov 8, 2016 6:15am
Board
Perhaps you stumbled on the secret real reason for VA replacing so many guardrails - the weight of so many letterboxes and geocaches warped the old guardrails.

But I'm pretty sure they're not dusting for fingerprints or staking out the guardrails.
Reply to: #937608 by BBStacker
Nov 8, 2016 6:35am
Board
:::::gasp:::::

Watch out for the Guard Rail Police.
Reply to: #937588 by Wronghat
Nov 8, 2016 6:41am
Board
Doesn't bother me. I really don't think letterboxes are such a problem in Virginia or any other state that anyone is going to be making an issue out of it. Wouldn't stop me from planting.

There are also many letterboxes at rest stops all over the country.

And thus far they seem to have only noticed geocaches. Another reason it's good that letterboxing seems to for the most have kept a much lower profile.

MM
Reply to: #937601 by wassamatta u
Nov 8, 2016 6:57am
Board
How did you make your magnetic box?
Reply to: #937577 by Rocklun
Nov 8, 2016 2:07pm
Board