Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Okay to replace someone else's stamp?

Re: Okay to replace someone else's stamp?
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #937400 by FloridaFour
Nov 3, 2016 7:22am
Board
I actually am one who believes if the owners are not active, the series should be retired.

I understand that this particular series builds a skeleton, however, why would the whole series require retirement if there are 6 other viable letterboxes to be had? There are plenty of great letterbox series out there that have been nicked up by a missing box (or two). More importantly, reading the comments by the boxers show those who have done this series really seemed to have enjoyed themselves regardless of a missing piece. Some even describe individual boxes that were "missing" for them that subsequent boxers later found. I assumed that you didn't mean all letterboxes by retired boxers on principle should be pulled.
Nov 3, 2016 2:19pm
Board
I actually am one who believes if the owners are not active, the series should be retired. But not everyone here agrees with that.

Right, because the minute you retire boxes that are still hidden in the woods, you are responsible for creating litter. Boxes shouldn't be retired unless they are missing or pulled.
Nov 4, 2016 5:57am
Board
This series in question is a fun one! I personally feel as though if the owners are truly not on AQ, and probably not boxing, then I think it's ok to replace the stamp, as long as you plant the box in the same location. I only say this because the series requires those specific stamps (you're building a skeleton after all), and all of the other boxes are intact.

I do agree that boxes that are retired, but are still out in the woods are litter. I don't think boxes should be retired without approval unless they are truly missing.

One thing I like about LBNA is that boxes become adoptable after a certain amount of time of inactivity. I wish the same could be done with AQ. Just my 2 cents.

BB
Reply to: #937380 by Neen and Joy
Nov 4, 2016 6:20am
Board
Wow I remember doing that series I thing it was 5 years ago. had a lot of fun doing that series. would be a shame to see it fall apart. If they have not signed in to aq for 2 years it mite be safe to say they don't box any more. like bungalow boxer said to bad you cant adopt after a certain amount of time like lbna.
Reply to: #937423 by Bungalow Boxer
Nov 4, 2016 9:53am
Board
then I think it's ok to replace the stamp, as long as you plant the box in the same location

Tough call, especially when the stamps all together make an image. If a stamp is recarved, I do think it should look like the original as much as possible, and a note should be made on the stamp such as "recarved 2016 by..."
Reply to: #937380 by Neen and Joy
Nov 4, 2016 11:16am
Board
Just my random two cents. Since it's a series that needs to be put together as one image, as a finder I would not go after it if something was missing. Normally I wouldn't encourage recarving / replanting, but in this case, where the series is in Connecticut (land of letterboxes), there are so many other options that not having the whole set may make people not seek it out.

Apologies if that's already been said. It's a tough question and what I read of this conversation seemed to agree that this is a unique situation.
Reply to: #937423 by Bungalow Boxer
Nov 4, 2016 5:57pm
Board
I was thinking the same thing. We do remember where we found it last year. My husband and I were talking about doing it every year on Halloween just because it's so much fun and such a beautiful drive!
I sent them a message on lbna because someone said that it goes to their regular email.
I know I've seen boxes on lbna that are adoptable so I checked to see if this series was. It's not lol
Reply to: #937430 by Honeychyck
Nov 4, 2016 5:59pm
Board
I agree! We were talking about not doing it because someone said it was missing but we decided to look just to be sure.
I'm going to talk with my husband about it too and see what he thinks

It is a tough situation.
Reply to: #937415 by Trailhead Tessie
Nov 5, 2016 8:17am
Board
To clarify, by retired, I did mean removed or confirmed missing. Though, I did once retire a box that 3 people told me was definitely missing, and it was not. Now I put Unknown.
Reply to: #937404 by dingus dufus
Nov 5, 2016 8:19am
Board
Why would the whole series need to be retired

I said, if the owners were not active, aka, not signing in to Atlasquest for a year or more. I have a few series that are incomplete, and I do not retire them. I am fine with incomplete series.

Also, and yes, *I* believe deteriorating letterboxes that do not have active owners should be retired. *I* believe these are litter. But I also said not everyone agrees with me. I just know that a few times I have requested help with maintenance on my boxes, and no one answered. So those boxes are now unmaintained litter, which makes me sad, and make it very much less likely for me to plant outside my area. And once I quit letterboxing, I will announce it, and remove my local boxes, and ask that any of my other boxes have ownership transfer or be removed if I cannot get to them.