A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: AQ Downtime!

Re: AQ Downtime!
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #937014 by BaliWho
Oct 26, 2016 3:39pm
Board
Seems like an incredibly stupid time frame. Don't people typically do these things in the middle of the night when it will have the lease effect?

Maximum inconvenience for the consumers perhaps, but certainly more convenient for the people doing the actual work. As it should be.

Look at the problem from a different frame of reference, and all the sudden it doesn't seem so "incredibly stupid". Hopefully these words will help others with other problems. We'll see.
Reply to: #937027 by Sir Braemoor
Oct 26, 2016 3:50pm
Board
I understand that and see your point. But, still think they should do it in the middle of the night or at least late hours in the evening, say after 9 or 10. They are a service provider and in my opinion should be more accommodating to the people/companies they are servicing than to the techies doing the work. Every software or website I've ever used that has scheduled maintenance has done it during the night time hours.
Reply to: #937028 by BaliWho
Oct 26, 2016 5:57pm
Board
Remember those days before we had 40-hour work weeks? or days off? or sick leave? when people worked nonstop? or 24-hour access to shopping at Wal-Mart when store employees could go home? Before your power conking out brought a rare silence to three rooms in the house when all of the TV's stopped working simultaneously?? Remember the days before the internet, and constant doses of passive entertainment when going to the movies was a treat? Remember when we actually had to talk to each other? Yeah, that.

This, too, shall pass.
Oct 26, 2016 8:13pm
Board
I've done some AQ updates late at night, and others early in the morning, and others early in the evening. Just depends on the circumstances! The longer or more difficult I expect an update to be, the more time I want to have to work on it. A complex update at midnight does nobody any good if I fall asleep halfway thru or make a vital mistake along the way!

In this case, I have absolutely no insights into why they chose this time frame for this downtime. They might have a very good reason for it! Or not? Who knows?

But I'm sure we will manage to survive these difficult times with each other's support. *hugs*

-- Ryan
Oct 26, 2016 9:42pm
Board
Every software or website I've ever used that has scheduled maintenance has done it during the night time hours.

Except geocaching.com does it during afternoon hours. I don't remember exactly when, but it usually occurs between 2:00 pm and 5:00 pm P[DS]T. Munzee.com also seems to do maintenance in early to late afternoons. Even though Ryan does tend to do maintenance in the middle of the night (US times), I've seen some during the middle of the day.

Worldwide organizations have to inconvenience someone for maintenance, short of having redundant servers. I know, this time it's not AQ that is scheduling the maintenance but the service provider.
Reply to: #937037 by Green Tortuga
Oct 26, 2016 9:43pm
Board
But I'm sure we will manage to survive these difficult times with each other's support. *hugs*

But how will we have support without AQ? Is there a facebook page?
Reply to: #936980 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Oct 27, 2016 2:02am
Board
This is a valid point.. maybe it is time to let go of my logbook matching AQ find count, my "real" find count is my logbook but I kind of like to tie it out with AQ, I have an accounting degree I can't help it...

MG
Reply to: #936998 by Green Tortuga
Oct 27, 2016 2:03am
Board
off to my logbook! which matched perfectly up to the end of august... I'll find it and let you know :) I assume you might have changed the status on some boxes??

MG
Reply to: #937004 by Kirbert
Oct 27, 2016 2:11am
Board
I couldn't tell what the thread was about not on AQ much these days..... apologies to cyclonic
Oct 27, 2016 6:08am
Board
and remember, you can still use your favorite phone app, like Clue Tracker for iphone.

all in all, a very minor inconvenience for us, and much easier for AQ devops.
Oct 27, 2016 6:54am
Board
Look at the problem from a different frame of reference, and all the sudden it doesn't seem so "incredibly stupid". Hopefully these words will help others with other problems. We'll see.

We'll see!
Reply to: #937042 by Mtn Girl
Oct 27, 2016 12:06pm
Board
off to my logbook! which matched perfectly up to the end of august... I'll find it and let you know

You might try running an advanced search and use the option to "show only type changes" (premium member option)--that will display boxes that have had their type changed. Combine that with all boxes you've found, and there's a good chance you'll find your discrepancy.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #937073 by Green Tortuga
Oct 27, 2016 12:32pm
Board
Cool perk
Reply to: #937050 by west dover quidditch team
Oct 27, 2016 3:04pm
Board
Not heard of 'Clue Tracker', so I inquired Google & got this...

Clue: Period, PMS, fertility & ovulation tracker on the App Store

Will this really help me on the trails?
Reply to: #937050 by west dover quidditch team
Oct 27, 2016 3:19pm
Board
The last time AQ was down, Box Radar wouldn't work either, which makes sense. I was on vacation and remember this unfortunate timing.
Reply to: #937085 by Rosmarinus
Oct 27, 2016 4:11pm
Board
If you know where you are going to be the day/hours of the outage fire up BoxRadar now and scroll the map to that location and let BR suck up all the clues for that area now. Then during the outage you will have the clues and the map and you can write up finds and BR will sync back up with AQ the next time you use it.
Reply to: #937083 by Arf!
Oct 28, 2016 7:17am
Board
Not heard of 'Clue Tracker', so I inquired Google & got this...

Clue: Period, PMS, fertility & ovulation tracker on the App Store

Will this really help me on the trails?

Yes, yes it will

;)
Reply to: #937073 by Green Tortuga
Oct 29, 2016 1:28pm
Board
There was another time this happened to me and you re-sync'ed something and that worked I'm gonna check the status change now :)
Reply to: #937184 by Mtn Girl
Oct 29, 2016 2:39pm
Board
GOT IT!!!!

it was a box status change thing :)